All things "Victory"

richbum

I am booked for March 7th - looking for info on a reasonably priced, clean hotel in old san juan...any ideas? tx!

A few of us are staying at Hotel Milano right in the heart of of San Juan, we have stayed here a few times before & walk to the ship, for 2 people it was $97 a night, when we booked.

all of us that are staying at Milano are on the same cruise date as you, noticed you hadn't been to our roll call in a while...come by & say Hi.

I know somebody will pop in here after this weeks cruise. I wanted to know 2 things. Did they continue with the Red Tag on carry on bags with liquor in them and who was the piano bar entertainer. I understand it changed on 1/3/10.

We're sailing Victory 1-31 and 2-7 and would love to know the same things.

Anyone??

Quote:

Originally Posted by ajagent viewpost.gif

I know somebody will pop in here after this weeks cruise. I wanted to know 2 things. Did they continue with the Red Tag on carry on bags with liquor in them and who was the piano bar entertainer. I understand it changed on 1/3/10.

We're sailing Victory 1-31 and 2-7 and would love to know the same things.

Anyone??

Just a suggestion, but maybe you could look her up. This lady just started reviewing her trip from 1/3-1/10. If you post the questions on her review maybe should could answer them! I would like to know about the red tags myself! :D

Do the grocery stores etc that sell the liquor sell it on Sunday? Or do we need to get that purchased on Saturday?

I think I'll take my standard rum runners & a some zip lock bags and put in my checked luggage. Sounds like that may work even better than when I hide it at the other ports. Been on two earlier cruises and have always been able to get the rum runners through with no problem, even with Carnival doing the scanning.

Got a call from the upgrade dept. Were presently in a 8th level aft cabin. I've sailed them before and like the extra balcony space. We were offered to go to a OS (ocean suite) for $440 more. I'm looking at the extra space but on a island intensive cruise I'm wondering how much we will actually use the space. The Balc looks a little wider but not much real area difference there. The only other perc would be a whirlpool tub. Anyone here have an opinion on the tub size and comfort of the tub?

Thanks in advance...Rich

Got a call from the upgrade dept. Were presently in a 8th level aft cabin. I've sailed them before and like the extra balcony space. We were offered to go to a OS (ocean suite) for $440 more. I'm looking at the extra space but on a island intensive cruise I'm wondering how much we will actually use the space. The Balc looks a little wider but not much real area difference there. The only other perc would be a whirlpool tub. Anyone here have an opinion on the tub size and comfort of the tub?

Thanks in advance...Rich

I am assuming here that your aft room is a standard balcony cabin which equals standard bathroom of vanity, shower and toilet with little floor space. Oceanview with Aft-View Extended Balcony

Categories: 8M 8N

245 square feet total

Stateroom

185 square feet

Balcony

60 square feet

Window

4' W x 4' H

A suite (OS)

Ocean Suite with Large Balcony

Category: OS

340 square feet total

Stateroom

275 square feet

Balcony

65 square feet

Window

5 1/2' W x 4' H

This will also provide a much larger bathroom with better storage, shower/whirlpool tub with doors (tub is standard tub with jets- nice to soak in post port intensive- especially for sore feet.)

The other consideration is more storage overall, and priority embarkation-VIP desk. This is very nice in San Juan.

Hope this helps.

Thanks BuffetFan your starting to talk me into it :rolleyes: Yes were in a 8N. Yep, he also mentioned the VIP stuff. This may save a good hr at check-in but were hanging out a couple days after the cruise so check in is the only perk for us. The extra 90sq/ft would be nice but the tub info was what I was looking for. I'm not sure he he is authorized but I will see if he would be willing to come down a little as I'm still trying to justify an extra $440.

Hi!! Here's a (hopefully new) question. We're going on our first cruise July 4, thanks to my mom and step-dad! They're treating us and our two boys and I'm SO excited!!

My question is-do they have fridges in the lower level rooms (i think we're in 2-something but I'm not sure. It's one of the cheapest interior rooms). My sons have medication that has to be refridgerated and I'm wondering if I'll have somewhere to store it or have to keep it on ice.

Second, to clarify the liquor question-I can purchase it in the airport duty-free, then shove it in my checked bag (I'm assuming we get our checked bags in San Juan and take them to the ship ourselves) and pray that it doesn't get confiscated? Are the duty free shops that much cheaper than going to my local grocery store and hiding it that way?

Thanks in advance, this is a great source of info for cruise virgins like me!!

There are no refrigerators in the normal inside cabins. You can call Carnival and ask if they would provide one because of a medical need, but I'm not sure if they would be able to do that. They always have ice in the room, but I know that's not a substitute for a fridge. Also, if there are 4 of you in the cabin, it will be crowded, but if you add a fridge to that, I'm not sure that you'll have much room to move at all. The inside lower level cabins don't really have anywhere to put a fridge unless it's under the vanity. I'm sure other people have run into this as well, so the best bet would be to call Carnival and ask them for suggestions.

Sorry I don't have advice on the duty-free purchases. I'm surprised that they quit allowing people to just put it in their carry-on. The poor people who own that duty-free store inside the cruise terminal are going to run into lots of problems when people get wind of this. :-(

Hi!! Here's a (hopefully new) question. We're going on our first cruise July 4, thanks to my mom and step-dad! They're treating us and our two boys and I'm SO excited!!

My question is-do they have fridges in the lower level rooms (i think we're in 2-something but I'm not sure. It's one of the cheapest interior rooms). My sons have medication that has to be refridgerated and I'm wondering if I'll have somewhere to store it or have to keep it on ice.

Second, to clarify the liquor question-I can purchase it in the airport duty-free, then shove it in my checked bag (I'm assuming we get our checked bags in San Juan and take them to the ship ourselves) and pray that it doesn't get confiscated? Are the duty free shops that much cheaper than going to my local grocery store and hiding it that way?

As for the liquor prices......we were on the 12/27-1/3 victory cruise. We bought our liquor that morning at a grocery store in san juan and shoved in our checked baggage. You hand your luggage BEFORE you fully enter the terminal, and the employees do not work for carnival and dont care what in ur bags liquor wise. I can tell u prices of what we bought. We bought bottles of Don Q (rum) and captain Morgan at 10.95 each. Normally by me in NJ they are over 20 bucks. Korbel was 14.95 and the pinot I got was 14.95.....the liquor (hard stuff) you DEF save huge on

As for the medication, carnival MUST, and DOES provide refrigeration for necessary medication

As for the medication, carnival MUST, and DOES provide refrigeration for necessary medication

A quick search backs this up:

"Staterooms are equipped with mini bars which are designed to maintain the temperature of beverages. Please do not use them to store medications that have specific temperature requirements. Should you need to store medicine that needs proper refrigeration, please visit Guest Services where access to a refrigerator is available 24/7."

As per http://www.carnival.com/CMS/FAQs/Medical_Services.aspx

We are so new to this. How do get on the roll call? Any suggestions as to what are must sees on this trip?

Must sees? Depends on what you like to see or do.

Some of my favs were swimming with turtles in Barbados, pirate ship in St. Lucia, champagne reef in Dominica and Sapphire Beach on St. Thomas.

If you will tell me your sail date I will try to find the link to your roll call and post it here.

No worries, we were all newbies at some point!

We are going to book an extended aft balcong on deck 7. We are going with some friends who will book a cabin right next door. My question is do the balcony dividers open between the aft extended balconies on the Victory? Much appreciated..

Thanks

Jesse

We are going to book an extended aft balcong on deck 7. We are going with some friends who will book a cabin right next door. My question is do the balcony dividers open between the aft extended balconies on the Victory? Much appreciated..

Thanks

Jesse

I somehow came across a link with lots of details about ice machines,laundry, and includes connecting balcony info-not knowing what cabin # you are looking at cannot give answer but here is link to info page. From this link you will need to select stateroom descriptions, then deck 7 -scroll down to get to aft cabin numbers. Keep in mind this is assuming Carnival is willing to open dividers up. We have never had a denial- usually make request asap at pursers desk, and then see if cabin steward can do it also.

https://www.bookccl.com/irman/bookccl/the_fleet/victory/victory.htm

I somehow came across a link with lots of details about ice machines,laundry, and includes connecting balcony info-not knowing what cabin # you are looking at cannot give answer but here is link to info page. From this link you will need to select stateroom descriptions, then deck 7 -scroll down to get to aft cabin numbers. Keep in mind this is assuming Carnival is willing to open dividers up. We have never had a denial- usually make request asap at pursers desk, and then see if cabin steward can do it also.

https://www.bookccl.com/irman/bookccl/the_fleet/victory/victory.htm

You are awesome! I appreciate it! What a great site! We sailed the Carnival Legend back in Feb 08 and thanks to this site, we went right to the pursers desk and was in the top 5 on the list to open the balcony divider.

Edited by hawks066

Yeah, thanks for that detailed room link. I had it once and could never find it again. Made a bookmark this time. We usually just open the balcony doors ourselves. Has become quite the challenge among the menfolk in our group. I believe my DH has found the best tool which is already packed. Last year, the horrified room stewart ran to do it when he realized we were doing it ourselves. Kind of funny. Leaving for the airport hotel overnight tomorrow. About time....

Libtrek