All things "Victory"

richbum

If one wasn't on a budget, what do you think are the best excrusions at each port?

Budget isnt so much the deciding factor as are your interests. Some are beach people, some love snorkeling, some like historic walks/tours, some are into more adventurous things like Zip Lines, ATVing, etc.

My wife and I will be on Victory during New Years Eve week. Here is what we plan to do:

St Thomas: Coral World Sea Lion Swim and then afternoon at Coki Beach

Dominica: Whale & Dolphin Safari

Barbados: Tiami Sail, Sea Turtle Snorkel and beach excursion

St Lucia: Cosol Tours (heard so many good things about them)

Antigua: Dickenson beach perhaps (last time here I did the Stingray

enounter which was very cool)

St Kitts: Either beach or stay on ship to relax before we head back to reality (last time here we did the train ride around the island)

San Juan: We are flying in a day early and staying at the Old San Juan Howard Johnsons ($90 a night, walking distance to the ship). We arrive at 2PM. We are planning on dinner at Barrachina and then booked a Night Tales of Old San Juan Walking Tour. The next morning we are driving to El Yunque with possible horseback riding at Hacienda Carabali.

During our previous visit to San Juan - we did a self guided walking tour of the city including a visit to the forts. We also did the Bacardi tour - which wasnt worth it since they dont show you the actual rum being made. If you are ever in Tennessee, take the Jack Daniel's tour. That was VERY good

Edited by rpetrillo

We've been to St Maarten twice and both times spent a fortune. The shopping there is very good. We've gotten really good deals on cameras and jewelry. Dont accept their first price offer. Everyone will bargain with you for a better deal. My shy wife became an expert haggler in a very short time.

We took a taxi to the beach in the morning and spent the afternoon shopping. Beware of the nude beach - people wear their birthday suits but many forget to iron it :)

I thought St. Thomas was the place to shop-am I mixing them up? Which is better in your opinion?

Megans Bay is the most popular and crowded beach. If there is more than two ships in port when you go, I wouldnt even consider it. There are many other VERY nice beaches (some that locals say are the best). Check out the St Thomas board for more info.

Personally I like Coki beach - nice calm, clear waters and great for snorkeling.

Hmmmm well I think the only way to find out which one of us is right is to add more data to the equation - we just have to visit BOTH islands again and again and again.

In any case, I am guessing that we can both agree that - any island in the Caribbean called St. <insert name here> is better than being at work in the states (especially during an icy cold winter)

ROB

Hmmmm well I think the only way to find out which one of us is right is to add more data to the equation - we just have to visit BOTH islands again and again and again.

In any case, I am guessing that we can both agree that - any island in the Caribbean called St. <insert name here> is better than being at work in the states (especially during an icy cold winter)

ROB

AMEN to that

Budget isnt so much the deciding factor as are your interests. Some are beach people, some love snorkeling, some like historic walks/tours, some are into more adventurous things like Zip Lines, ATVing, etc.

My wife and I will be on Victory during New Years Eve week. Here is what we plan to do:

St Thomas: Coral World Sea Lion Swim and then afternoon at Coki Beach

Dominica: Whale & Dolphin Safari

Barbados: Tiami Sail, Sea Turtle Snorkel and beach excursion

St Lucia: Cosol Tours (heard so many good things about them)

Antigua: Dickenson beach perhaps (last time here I did the Stingray

enounter which was very cool)

St Kitts: Either beach or stay on ship to relax before we head back to reality (last time here we did the train ride around the island)

San Juan: We are flying in a day early and staying at the Old San Juan Howard Johnsons ($90 a night, walking distance to the ship). We arrive at 2PM. We are planning on dinner at Barrachina and then booked a Night Tales of Old San Juan Walking Tour. The next morning we are driving to El Yunque with possible horseback riding at Hacienda Carabali.

During our previous visit to San Juan - we did a self guided walking tour of the city including a visit to the forts. We also did the Bacardi tour - which wasnt worth it since they dont show you the actual rum being made. If you are ever in Tennessee, take the Jack Daniel's tour. That was VERY good

Thank you. You hit the nail on the head with me wanting overall more adventure with the zip lining/atv. I looked into coral world and their is a lot of negatives with closed exhibits, etc. If you already didn't know that, I'd look into more. One thing about the JD tour, since it's in a dry county you're not allow to consume any :( White water rafting, and rock city in chattanooga were great :)

ROB

Agreed Rob! Even though we may not always agree, I love your attitude! We should cruise together sometime.

In the words of Jimmy Buffet: "I gotta fly to St. Somewhere" or cruise! LOL

Edited by beentravelin

Quick question:

I know that we can shop at the peir or very close to get a good price on alcohol and that you can carry it in your carry on.

NOW my question is can you get beer and carry it on your carry on? I know around page 46-48 of this thread someone suggested doing this (buying it at the grocery store and takin it to the peir in your carry on) but no one confirmed that it could actually be done.

I did not click her to discuss ports for jewerly.... But I agree, that of all the Islands I prefer St Thomas.... I find the quality a tad bit better, but that is not the issue...

The jewelers will alter a ring or whatever to exactally your fit, will re do a complete setting that is just what you had in mind, will deliver to the ship, and anything I have brought home has always been appraised very much higher than what I would have paid in the USA. True, this is not the Island for a $100 purchase, but if you are in the market for a high qaulity gem this is the Island to do it at.

Anyway, just posted a Flip video sail we took on a Victory shore excursion a few weeks ago that was lots of fun.... Here it is

http://www.youtube.com/user/justcruisin100

Edited by smoothdancer

We were on Destiny recently and offered a behind the scenes small private group tour of ship (booked at excursion desk)- it was offered last day at sea. Since there are no sea days for Victory- anyone know if they offer "Behind the scene or Behind the Fun tour onboard"- if yes what day and pricing.

We were on Destiny recently and offered a behind the scenes small private group tour of ship (booked at excursion desk)- it was offered last day at sea. Since there are no sea days for Victory- anyone know if they offer "Behind the scene or Behind the Fun tour onboard"- if yes what day and pricing.
it's offered on the last day(saturday) at 8:45am. the price was $95. we didn't do but two of our tablemates did and said it was well worth it.:)

Just a quick question... People always talk about ship time vs. port time.

Since the Victory leaves out of SJ, which is the same time zone as all the ports, the time stays the same always, right?

set your watch one hour ahead when you get to san juan and you'll be good for the whole week. san juan is on atlantic time.:)

set your watch one hour ahead when you get to san juan and you'll be good for the whole week. san juan is on atlantic time.:)

:confused: Whaaaa??? I am coming from Pacific time, so I will be needing to set my watch forward 4 hours.

So yes, SJ is on Atlantic time... and so are all of our ports. Isn't the Victory on Atlantic time too? Can't someone who has been on the Victory confirm this? If it's not, I do not understand why a ship that leaves and returns from a port in Atlantic time wouldn't be on the same time? That would make NO sense to me whatsoever. :confused:

:confused: Whaaaa??? I am coming from Pacific time, so I will be needing to set my watch forward 4 hours.

So yes, SJ is on Atlantic time... and so are all of our ports. Isn't the Victory on Atlantic time too? Can't someone who has been on the Victory confirm this? If it's not, I do not understand why a ship that leaves and returns from a port in Atlantic time wouldn't be on the same time? That would make NO sense to me whatsoever. :confused:

victory is on atlantic time. we live on the east coast so it was only one hour for us. sorry if i confused you.:)

Anybody that is just back, I have tried cruisett.com and it does not show how many ships are in Dominica the day we are there. Does anybody know how many ships will be there?
as best i remember(sailed 11/8), we were the only ones in dominica and barbados.:)

it's offered on the last day(saturday) at 8:45am. the price was $95. we didn't do but two of our tablemates did and said it was well worth it.:)

thanks for tour info jenms2000. We are highly considering with all the positive reviews. Might be hard not touring St.Kitts and getting up, but after 6 previous island stops, a day of port shopping after, and just enjoying ship may be in order.

Thanks.