All things "Victory"

richbum

Hi!

I just completed my reservation and have couple of questions for past-cruisers.

1. Reservations link.

I booked 3 rooms for my extended family through the carnival.com using the same account. Now I see all the 3 reservations on one page.

Are they already "linked" or should I call and re-confirm.

2. Dining time:

What is the advantage of the assigned time dining over the anytime dinging? I.e. does the assigned time dining mean a better table, pre-assigned table , less waiting time or what ?

3. Checkin.

I'm was planning to checking early, get rid of the heavy stuff, and then spend some time in Old San Juan.

- Is the re-boarding fast ?

- Can I bring my bottle of wine and 12 soda cans per person only on the original boarding or on the re-boarding

(I'm not planning to smuggle wine and soda, just want to buy them later)

4. Pier or tender.

How many pier and how many tender ports will we have ?

Hi!

I just completed my reservation and have couple of questions for past-cruisers.

1. Reservations link.

I booked 3 rooms for my extended family through the carnival.com using the same account. Now I see all the 3 reservations on one page.

Are they already "linked" or should I call and re-confirm.

I would assume, but personally would call. It is more likely too if one credit card was used.

2. Dining time:

What is the advantage of the assigned time dining over the anytime dinging? I.e. does the assigned time dining mean a better table, pre-assigned table , less waiting time or what ? OK, I would recommend especially with three cabins (if you do intend to eat with eachother) the assigned dining. We have cruised 8 times and last cruise did anytime dining. If it were a short cruise I'd anytime, but found it less personal and "stress" of getting a table at times.

Our experience: First night-disaster at 7pm- everyone wanted to eat, we got a pager waited 30 min and got a really nice table for two- then waited and waited to get recognized as waiters were delivering food. Next night, explained to hostess station our experience and she said let me seat you in a different section. We had immediate seating,table for two (they separate the larger tables of 6 into 2's.) Service was up to standard, but the waiters do not know you, or preferences. Next night had to wait 10 min with a pager (it was formal night) and they have a record of where you sat previously. She knew not to put in first waiters section and gave us same section as second night. Good service, but again they see so many tables did not know we were drinking soda and twice poured iced tea over it!

It is the little things. So I would choose assigned dining and develop a relationship with servers. If someone in group does not wish to dine at assigned time- they ought of courtesy should notify dining room. However, one cannot decide to go to anytime dining if assigned a dining time. It is balanced out.

So if it were us- request assigned dining.

3. Checkin.

I'm was planning to checking early, get rid of the heavy stuff, and then spend some time in Old San Juan.

- Is the re-boarding fast ? We used roll alongs to get on and had previously gotten a 12 pack of coke-no problem. They are strict about not going to cabins until 1:30 so plan on carrying or camping out at a table until that time. We did get off at around 3:00pm and headed to CVS with an empty roll along. Got off, got tw 12packs and a flat of water. Back to terminal in 40 minutes guessing. The line to board and go through security is still the original line, we were fortunate having VIP privilege and the original lounge checkin people helped us pass through security faster. Otherwise I would say at least 30-45min wait. I would not get off until 5pm or so as CVS is open and most should be boarded by then.

- Can I bring my bottle of wine and 12 soda cans per person only on the original boarding or on the re-boarding BOTH

(I'm not planning to smuggle wine and soda, just want to buy them later)

4. Pier or tender.

How many pier and how many tender ports will we have ?

Should have only pierside for this cruise :-)

Makes for a nice easy cruise--keep in mind St.Kitts pier is really long!

Is there any advantage to checking in early, leaving and coming back later

VS

Just checking in later?

For us, given that sailaway is so late, it gave us a chance to do some sightseeing. We got to the pier shortly before 11 and checked in right away. We did an embarkation picture and then went to do some walking around Old San Juan. We ended up shopping so we headed back to the ship around 1:30. Had lunch and then rooms were available to drop our purchases off. From there, we went and caught the ferry and did the Bacardi Tour. Got back around 6, stopped at CVS to fill the "pantry" (we make one of the closet shelves our food/drink area :)) and then reboarded for the final time shortly before 7.

The only thing I would note is that CVS was pretty much cleaned out of soda when we were there so it might be something to stop at earlier in the day.

Unless you absolutely feel the need to get off the boat and get soda/water at CVS I wouldn't waste the time. We got to the port and boarded the boat (paperwork and all) within 45 minutes. After eating we decided to go to CVS for soda and water. We carried them back to the boat and then waited almost an hour in the security line to get back on. We didn't notice the first time on, but the second time we noticed a place to buy soda and water while going through the security line. It was a little bit pricier than CVS, but definately cheaper than the boat, and you don't have the hassle of carrying the soda/water from CVS and then standing in line for an hour.

It was a little bit pricier than CVS, but definately cheaper than the boat, and you don't have the hassle of carrying the soda/water from CVS and then standing in line for an hour.

On the other hand, we got back on the boat twice and didn't wait more than a few minutes either time. And one of those times was around 2pm. Could just be all in the timing.

How late is the CVS open??

Not too sure but maybe the website would list? I would think they would be open until at least the time you have to be on the ship. But, don't know if it being Sunday, if that would make a difference. We were there after 6.

Not too sure but maybe the website would list? I would think they would be open until at least the time you have to be on the ship. But, don't know if it being Sunday, if that would make a difference. We were there after 6.

we were there right before we had to get on the ship (so 9 or 9:30) on a Sunday in Oct....

Hey we are sailing in February also...just on Cruise Critic. Trying to find out more info on the zip line in St. Lucia. Has any done that excursion?

We did the zip line over Christmas with Frank Tours. 12 lines, about two hours. Great trip!!!!! Four of us including two sons 20 and 19. Met Frank early and we were in the first group. Jules was our driver and he was fantastic. That left time for us to see the Titons and have an island tour. Rain washed out one road that would have let us get to the beach but what can on do?

Edited by 9ersRule

this will be my second sailing on the victory! does anyone know if the ports rules have changed..last time we sailed june '09 we were allowed to carry on whatever we wanted..be it alcohol or water in any amount in our carry-ons, despite carnivals rules. does anyone have a status on this rule?

Will be on the Victory for 15 Jan. 2012 cruise about a year to go:eek: cabin 6459

our 9th cruise. This will be the wife's birthday gift (18 JAN.)

Just go off the Glory West carib 12 to 19 Dec.cruise Had knee surgery 8 days before the cruise Had a great time:eek::cool: trying to get around

Keep up the good info

Paul

We sailed in Feb, so this might or might not work for you. They had started taking the booze from the carry-ons the month or so before we sailed. We stopped at the duty free liqour store on the secound floor after we had done our check in and were waiting to board. Talked to the guy in the store and he confirmed that they were taking all the booze from the carryons. He told us to put our bottles in a bag with a few other things and go back downstairs and give to one of the guys doing the scanning for checked luggage and tip them. We did as he said and it was the first bag delivered to our room with all bottles inside.

:D

this is what I like to hear!

Hey guys,

Help! Couldn't find an answer to this in the regular forum! Has anyone who sailed since they dropped Dominica as a stop done the Behind the Scenes tour?

I wanted to see if they now do the tour on that day, since it's the only sea day there is, or if it's still later on in the week.

Thanks!

Hey guys,

Help! Couldn't find an answer to this in the regular forum! Has anyone who sailed since they dropped Dominica as a stop done the Behind the Scenes tour?

I wanted to see if they now do the tour on that day, since it's the only sea day there is, or if it's still later on in the week.

Thanks!

This is still done on your sea day. $55 2 1/2 hours 845 or 915am The Indian Library, Deck 4 forward. Check your Fun Ashore book when you get into your room. You can not bring a camera, video or have your cell phone. Nobody under age of 8

This is still done on your sea day. $55 2 1/2 hours 845 or 915am The Indian Library, Deck 4 forward. Check your Fun Ashore book when you get into your room. You can not bring a camera, video or have your cell phone. Nobody under age of 8

Yay! Thanks so much for an answer!:D I had wanted to do the tour on my last cruise on Victory, but then there were no sea days and I didn't want to give up time in port for it. So glad they changed it to our sea day! Now I can finish my planning!

Just sad that it's the shorter tour, but of course that means less $$! :rolleyes: