Redoubt Update

Chenega

Seismic activity increased at Redoubt on Sunday and Alaska Volcano Observatory scientists are expecting another eruption sometime this week.

No way to actually predict whether or not it will happen (that's the frustrating part) but there's excellent information and pictures posted on the AVO website at www.avo.alaska.edu

Seismic activity increased at Redoubt on Sunday and Alaska Volcano Observatory scientists are expecting another eruption sometime this week.

No way to actually predict whether or not it will happen (that's the frustrating part) but there's excellent information and pictures posted on the AVO website at www.avo.alaska.edu

This has to be the most stressful lead up to a vacation that I have ever had:(. Travelling alone for the 1st time, swineflu, rockslide and now Redoubt about to erupt again.

I hope I make it to Whittier on the 16th May. Its a long way to fly from the UK and then not get to the ship.

Fingers and toes crossed!!

Englishbird:D

It is stressful. My wife already was delayed in Phoenix in late March by Redoubt and we just cancelled a short trip to Denver for a graduation due to the same problem.

Actually, your best bet is for Redoubt to blow this week because it usually calms down after that. There's real concern that the volcano could impact the busy season if it doesn't calm down.

I hope it will do its thing and not impact the tourist season for you guys. I know how important the short season is for you folks up there. Of course, I don't want to have issues when I come in August ... but surely all will be over with by then. Surely????

No one knows when it will all be over, and stop calling me Surely!

LOL !! I dont know how many caught it but that was an awesome Airplane 80 throwback phrase to sneak in...LOVE IT !!!

Since the Kenai fiords are just east of Redoubt, are they getting a lot of ash? Are we going to see a lot of grey ice? We've got a boat excursion booked in 12 days and I wonder if the wildlife down wind (assuming the prevailing winds are from west to east) has been effected.

Not that I'm aware. Wife and I are going out on a Kenai Fjords Whale Watch trip trip tomorrow morning (pre-season tour). Company reports they are seeing lots of wildlife.

Not that I'm aware. Wife and I are going out on a Kenai Fjords Whale Watch trip trip tomorrow morning (pre-season tour). Company reports they are seeing lots of wildlife.

Please report back here... I'd love to hear about your experience and observations.

Archived