One day in Seattle - Too Much??

bqkali

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=720941&highlight=pike+place+market+walking+tour

When you have finished there, turn left at Western and Lenora until you reach the elevators and staircase, where you will go down to waterfront level.

Cross Alaskan Way and turn right to Pier 66/Bell Street Pier, which is the downtown Seattle Cruise Terminal. Here you will find a maritime museum and the Bell Street transient marina. Take the outside elevator up to the observation deck level (though you CANNOT do this on cruise days, as it is closed for security reasons at that time), where you can watch the ferry and maritime traffic in Elliott Bay.

Once finished on the observation level, come back down to street level and walk south along the waterfront. You will pass the Seattle Aquarium (also worth a visit if you have the time) and a lot of renovation/construction that is currently going on in the waterfront area.

At University Street, cross Alaska Way and climb the Harbor Steps (take your time, there are a LOT of steps there) back up to 1st Av, where you will find the Hammering Man sculpture at the Seattle Art Museum.

Silly question I'm sure...but since I'd like to go to Argosy cruises (Pier 55) after Pike Place Market, can I walk south along the waterfront all the way down to Pier 55 or do I need to climb back up the harbor steps and walk on "regular" streets toward the pier? In other words, does the path/sidewalk (whatever it is) along the waterfront continue all the way from Pier 66 to Pier 55?

OP, please excuse my Qs here, thought it'd be a good place to address.:)lI was worried about seeing seattle's highpoints after our noon arrival too; until i realized for us it's akin to chasing a windmill;)

we wanted to do pike place, space needle, Sci Fi museum & underground tour...just too rushed imo, especially after a cross country flight for us. Plan on just walking down the next am for quick peek

we'll go straight to hotel, then hop the monorail to needle & decide which museum (s) we want to visit in that area. Stumbled across the Pacific Science Ctr in same area when looking @ the go card offerings (butterfly area, tide pool, robotic insects & a planetarium) sounds like something my teenager would like...anybody visit it?

http://www.spaceneedle.com/restaurant/menu.html

Minimum suggested amount per person for lunch is $25; dinner is $35 - about the price of one entree.

i was considering lunch (only because it was less $;)& we'll be starved by that time) concerned we might not make an advance ressie due to travel, possible delays & not sure how forgiving they'd be if we were late.

How popular is the restuarant? are advance ressies mandatory?:confused:

Can u eat lunch & then return later in early evening for complimentary viewing?

Silly question I'm sure...but since I'd like to go to Argosy cruises (Pier 55) after Pike Place Market, can I walk south along the waterfront all the way down to Pier 55 or do I need to climb back up the harbor steps and walk on "regular" streets toward the pier? In other words, does the path/sidewalk (whatever it is) along the waterfront continue all the way from Pier 66 to Pier 55?

Yes, the sidewalk continues all the way along the waterfront. It's a beautiful walk.

i was considering lunch (only because it was less $;)& we'll be starved by that time)

Since you stated you wanted to go at lunch because lunch is cheaper, please make note that lunch is only served Monday-Friday from 11:30-2:00. On Saturdays/Sundays brunch is served instead from 11-2:45 and is a set price of $45 (I'm guessing it's a buffet). Not sure if that affects you. Dinner is 5:00-8:45 (9:45 on Fri/Sat) and may actually be cheaper than brunch, since there are a few entrees around $35.

concerned we might not make an advance ressie due to travel, possible delays & not sure how forgiving they'd be if we were late. How popular is the restuarant? are advance ressies mandatory?:confused:

Reservations are not mandatory, but are highly recommended. If you are worried about travel delays, be sure to have their phone number on hand - 206.905.2100 or 800.937.9582 - and call from the airport when you land to see if you can change your reservation time to later. If you don't want to make an advance reservation, you can call the day you want to eat there and see if there is still availability. They might have space, you never know.

Your complimentary viewing is at the time of your meal ONLY; it does not allow a second free viewing unless of course you purchase a second meal.

Yes, the sidewalk continues all the way along the waterfront. It's a beautiful walk.

Perfect, thanks! I think that will be exactly my plan, to do the suggested walking tour of the market and then continue down the waterfront to Pier 55, getting lunch somewhere along the way :) (or maybe at the market if I'm starving and can't wait!!!)

Hello, this seemed to be the thread with the Seatlle experts on it :)... and I need one!

I'm on one of the rerouted cruises from the Mexican Riviera, so now we'll be trading fish tacos for Pacific chill!

We have never been to Seattle, but would like to see the market (of course) and maybe the EMP. We have a tall tower here in San Antonio so we probably can skip the Needle.

What is the best route to get to these locations, if we don't rent a car? The rumor is we're docking at Pier 66.

Thanks in advance!

OP, please excuse my Qs here, thought it'd be a good place to address.:)lI was worried about seeing seattle's highpoints after our noon arrival too; until i realized for us it's akin to chasing a windmill;)

we wanted to do pike place, space needle, Sci Fi museum & underground tour...just too rushed imo, especially after a cross country flight for us. Plan on just walking down the next am for quick peek

we'll go straight to hotel, then hop the monorail to needle & decide which museum (s) we want to visit in that area. Stumbled across the Pacific Science Ctr in same area when looking @ the go card offerings (butterfly area, tide pool, robotic insects & a planetarium) sounds like something my teenager would like...anybody visit it?

i was considering lunch (only because it was less $;)& we'll be starved by that time) concerned we might not make an advance ressie due to travel, possible delays & not sure how forgiving they'd be if we were late.

How popular is the restuarant? are advance ressies mandatory?:confused:

Love the PSC, go several times a year. Pix here:

Hello, this seemed to be the thread with the Seatlle experts on it :)... and I need one!

I'm on one of the rerouted cruises from the Mexican Riviera, so now we'll be trading fish tacos for Pacific chill!

We have never been to Seattle, but would like to see the market (of course) and maybe the EMP. We have a tall tower here in San Antonio so we probably can skip the Needle.

What is the best route to get to these locations, if we don't rent a car? The rumor is we're docking at Pier 66.

Thanks in advance!

Since you are leaving LA on Memorial Day weekend, you won't need to worry about NW Folklife messing things up for you. You can walk to the Market from Pier 66, then walk a few blocks to the monorail stop at Westlake Center, and take it to Seattle Center, which is where EMP is (you go through the building on the way to the Center House first and final stop).

Excellent!!!

My GF is coming over tomorrow afternoon and we are doing to go over all the Seattle details and get some plans down and purchase some tickets online, the Underground Tour, Pike Market Tour and Ducks.

Thanks for all the info you have provided me Karen. I could not have gotten this far without you!!! I really mean that. thanks

And everyone else on this thread thanks for all the help and info. I think we are almost there :D

Love the PSC, go several times a year. Pix here:

thanx for the link, will check it out:) i enjoy the butterfly rooms, so peaceful

bqkali - good info, will put it to use...thinking we'll just wing it & try for dinner after exploring the museum

Archived