UN to Ask Governments to Lift Travel Restrictions

gottago2mexico

"U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said Tuesday he will ask governments to reverse restrictions on trade and travel unless there is clear scientific evidence that they are necessary."

http://news.ino.com/headlines/?newsid=6898065713790

Just a small sentence in the article, but there it stands. Since the WHO has already stated that this evidence doesn't exist, and has always advised against travel restrictions during this flu, this might help give CDC the push it needs to follow suit now that it's been shown to just be a run of the mill flu bug, and they're no longer closing schools because of it.

Of course, this only matters if anyone listens to the UN anymore, the US hasn't been buddies with the UN for a while now, but it's a start.

"U.N. Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon said Tuesday he will ask governments to reverse restrictions on trade and travel unless there is clear scientific evidence that they are necessary."

Just a small sentence in the article, but there it stands. Since the WHO has already stated that this evidence doesn't exist, and has always advised against travel restrictions during this flu, this might help give CDC the push it needs to follow suit now that it's been shown to just be a run of the mill flu bug, and they're no longer closing schools because of it.

Of course, this only matters if anyone listens to the UN anymore, the US hasn't been buddies with the UN for a while now, but it's a start.

:eek::eek::eek:

I know you are trying to drum up your business for Mexico, but you might want to check your facts and figures on the UN statement. The US contributes 22% of the overall UN budget. Far greater than any other country. I can assure you they are "buddies."

Now, how much does Mexico contribute?

As some one who is looking for a glimmer of positive news out of this, I thank you for posting. Yes it is a step in the right direction.

If the advisories are lifted, do you think Carnival would switch their itineraries back to Mexico or just stick with the changes?

Pouring money into the rat hole known as the UN does not equate to being buddies. I think the OP's point was the US and the UN do not often see eye to eye on matters.

Pouring money into the rat hole known as the UN does not equate to being buddies. I think the OP's point was the US and the UN do not often see eye to eye on matters.

Yes, thank you. That is all I was saying. And certainly had nothing to do with "drumming up business", and was in no way a statement about "Good Mexico, Bad U.S.". The travel restrictions being lifted have potentially great impact on all cruise passengers and their itineraries. I was just bringing it to the forum's attention. Most cruisers viewing this forum would like to be able to cruise the Mexican Riviera, and I think probably appreciate knowing about this development in the current political situation.

Archived