How would you rate Carnival Holiday?

We were considering booking a 5 night cruise on Holiday out of Mobile. We live in Nashville so it should not be too far a drive. We have 3 kids (14, 6 and 2).

The only other cruise any of us have been on was a RCCL Soverign of the Seas out of Port Canaveral. That too was an older ship so we have no experience on a big honkin new ship to have us spoiled. :)

The 2 older kids LOVED the kid clubs on RCCL. What are the kid clubs like on Holiday? We now also have a 2 year old that we might consider bringing to the kids club from time to time. Have any of you ever brought a toddler to the kids club?

And what about the rest of the ship? I know they are getting ready to retire it. Is it pretty run down or do you think we'd be satisifed?

Thinking we'll book 2 OV rooms -- hopefully connecting.

BTW - hubby and I are sailing on Fantasy on one of the rescheduled 7 nighters in June. I hear Fantasy and Holiday are somewhat comparable - is that true?

Any advise, suggestions, recommendations much appreciated.

We were considering booking a 5 night cruise on Holiday out of Mobile. We live in Nashville so it should not be too far a drive. We have 3 kids (14, 6 and 2).

The only other cruise any of us have been on was a RCCL Soverign of the Seas out of Port Canaveral. That too was an older ship so we have no experience on a big honkin new ship to have us spoiled. :)

The 2 older kids LOVED the kid clubs on RCCL. What are the kid clubs like on Holiday? We now also have a 2 year old that we might consider bringing to the kids club from time to time. Have any of you ever brought a toddler to the kids club?They will LOVE CCL.... similar in so many ways....2 year old will have a good time too....but you have to supply the diapers and toiletries.

And what about the rest of the ship? I know they are getting ready to retire it. Is it pretty run down or do you think we'd be satisifed?She is old.... and a tad tired, but there are some folks that LOVE the ship... for me, the age is showing and not one of my favorites. But on a positive note, I did feel the staff were more friendly and accommodating. Possibly because a smaller ship and less passengers.

Thinking we'll book 2 OV rooms -- hopefully connecting.No connecting rooms on this ship.

BTW - hubby and I are sailing on Fantasy on one of the rescheduled 7 nighters in June. I hear Fantasy and Holiday are somewhat comparable - is that true?Well other than the "Funnel" and possibly the Neon and Glitz decor and stateroom sizes..... Holiday is much smaller coming in at 46,000 GRT vs. Fantasy at 70,000 GRT !

Any advise, suggestions, recommendations much appreciated.

Have a GREAT CRUISE !

On 25 April 2009 I sailed on the Carnival Holiday out of Mobile, AL. This was my 9th cruise and 5th “Fun Ship” vacation. The objective was to sail on this older class of vessel before they are completely replaced. There are those who claim that this ship is a frumpy rust bucket and seem eager to see her leave the fleet in November. That assessment is largely incorrect based my experience traveling on her. For the most part the ship has been maintained in a lovely condition and doesn’t look her age.

Embarkation in Mobile could not have been more efficient. I arrived at the car park at 1200 and was on the ship 20 minutes later. The Mobile staff was absolutely fabulous in showing good old fashioned Southern hospitality. The city is very proud to have a ship to call its own, and that showed. Finding the ship from I-10 was easy enough, however I do recommend a more prominent “turn here” sign at exit 26A.

Debarkation was very much the same story….fast & polite.

Southern hospitality seems to carry over onto the ship itself. Being relatively small compared to the newer “Fun Ships,” the Holiday posses a small town atmosphere. Clearly a passenger is a name, not simply a number.

Being a relatively smaller has both advantages as well as disadvantages. Everything is close walking distance, meaning that getting from one’s cabin to the dining room then on to the show lounge is never overwhelming. Getting lost isn’t the problem that it is on the mega-ships. Another advantage is the camaraderie of passengers and personal attention given by the staff. Out of 9 cruises, I would rate Tory as my favorite cruise director. Her 3 social hosts were most personable in making time to befriend guest.

The 2 production shows were to most everyone’s likening. The first show presenting primarily a rock n’ roll theme. The second was totally country western which catered appropriately to a Southern US clientele. The grand finality was a touching version of Lee *********’s “proud to be an American”. Everyone took to their feet in enthusiasm.

The food, as always, was very much to my liking. Continuity is a Carnival strength and the menu is no different. The warm melted chocolate cake is offered every night fleet wide.

The most noticeable disadvantage to being only 46,000 tons is the relatively rough ride. She traveled a bumpy road…at least on my sailing she did. Unfortunately I had an aft/stern cabin where I felt the engines, wenches, and other commotions. Stay way clear of Upper deck aft staterooms! A minor issue is the poor sightlines in the Americana Theater. Get there early if you prefer a good view.

All things considered, it will be sad to see this vestige of Carnival’s past sail out of the fleet.

My suggestion would be to drive the extra distance to New Orleans to cruise on Fantasy or wait until Fantasy moves to Mobile (this Nov) if you want to cruise from there.

Looking at the deckplans, I don't believe there are any connecting cabins on Holiday. There are some on Fantasy. Fantasy has the Evolutions of Fun upgrades - Serenity Adult Area, Waterworks area.

If you decide to go on Holiday, my advice would be to select cabins midship or forward, rather than towards the aft. (We were in E107 and the vibration/noise was noticeable - tolerable, but noticeable.)

Holiday - 1985 - 47,262 tons - 1485 passengers

Fantasy - 1990 - 70,367 tons - 2758 passengers (this would be closer to the size/capacity of Sovereign)

http://www.cruisedeckplans.com/DP/Main/shipscarnival.php

We had a great time on both Holiday and Fantasy, but I would recommend/suggest Fantasy over Holiday. We don't have any little ones, so I can't help you there. I am glad we had the chance to cruise on Holiday before she leaves the Carnival fleet but I like the Fantasy class ships, especially with the Evolutions of Fun updates, better.

Have a great cruise and be sure to come back and tell us about it!

Hey love2traveltn, I've been on both the Holiday and Fantasy, and there are definite differences in the two ships. Holiday is the oldest and smallest boat Carnival has. She's been well taken care of over the years, but she does show her age. The one thing I noticed was the size...it's definitely smaller than the Fantasy.

Like Thoth said, embarkation/debarkation in Mobile is probably the quickest and easiest I've ever experienced, plus, the staff seems very happy to be there, and it shows. Food on the Holiday was good, and the shows were well above average I thought. If you want a perfect cruise, on a newer ship, I'm not sure the Holiday is for you. If you can go with an open mind, and enjoy it, then I can. There was a problem with foul odors, but only at certain times in certain areas of the ship. If you don't mind a small ship, I'd recommend going on her at least once before she floats away for good.

I haven't been on the Fantasy since the Evolutions of Fun upgrades, but when I was on her in January, 2007, I had a great time. I personally like the Fantasy class ships...they're big enough, but not TOO big.

I'm also going on the rescheduled cruise on the Fantasy on June 8th....oops, June 6th now, and looking forward to it. Hope to see you onboard!

The Holiday is not headed for the scrap yard. It is being transferred to another one of Carnival Corporation's cruise lines.

I've cruised on Holiday several times, although not recently - once from the left coast and twice from New Orleans. If the Holiday was still in New Orleans, I'd still be sailing on the ship.

There are a number of differences between the Holiday Class and Fantasy class ships, but also a number of similarities, including the overall Carnival experience, including food.

If I had the time, and it was easier for me to get to Mobile, I'd love to go one more time on Holiday.

DH and I did Holiday last year. It was fine for us, we had fun and the service was top notch. It's not one I would pay to take the kids on. We'll take them on Triumph or Fantasy instead, much more child friendly and more room for the kids.

We have sailed on the Holiday 5 times in the last 5 years! (We're just a 30 min drive to port) We're firm believers that fun and enjoyment you have on a ship, any ship, is mostly up to you and not the size of the ship! We have a 14yr old daughter who has been twice with us and had a blast with Camp Carnival! I'm sure the Ship Fantasy maybe grander and more modern. But you will have just as much fun on the Holiday. Sail with the attitude that your GOING to have fun and you wont be disappointed. If you go with the attitude of looking for and picking out every detail thats different from the larger ships, then you may be disappointed.

Only down side, I dont think the ship has the stabilizers that the bigger ships have. Therefore you will feel more rocking!

I have sailed the Holiday and the Fantasy. We loved the Holiday because we didn't know any better. It was a great ship and would sail her again but having sailed the Fantasy, I would recommend it for you for your family. there would be much more to do for the kids. They would probably prefer new slides on the Fantasy. The kids club/Circle C areas are also important and recently redone so I would recommend. The Holiday is a good ship, the food is great, staff very friend but so is the Fantasy. CCL does a great job hiring their staff.

We've loved the Holiday. I would not hesitate to go on her again.

But we've decided to try the Inspiration (I think she's the sister ship to the Fantasy) for our next cruise. I think the kids will enjoy the water works area and we're looking forward to Grand Cayman.

We had a bunch of teenage boys on our last 2 cruises and they had a great time on the Holiday. Never got bored. They didn't attend any Camp Carnival event, so I'm not sure about it.

As long as you go into it knowing what to expect, you'll have a great time - We did!:)

Thanks to everyone for such great responses. It is easy to see that Holiday is like a favorite pair of old shoes I love so much. Worn but comfortable and loved.

As I am very prone to motion sickness that alone would probably be the deciding factor on choosing Fantasy again over the Holiday.

Looking forward to Fantasy moving to Mobile as it is a port somewhat close to home.

I've already posted a review of our Holiday cruise 4/20-25 but I will answer your question about Camp Carnival. I was traveling with my daughter, just turned 12 and a friends' son, 10 1/2. The capers looked like alot of fun and they were willing to let the 12 go into the 9-11 group so that was settled the first day. Unfortunately, there were so few kids on board (I only saw a total of a dozen kids) they combined the 6-12 year olds and still didn't have enough kids to play most games and hunts, etc. so our two opted out of the Camp:( I have never seen so few kids on any cruiseship! Of course, this would be a plus if I didn't have mine with me, lol.

CCL does a great job hiring their staff.

so very true ! That's one thing Carnival does so well....picking the right personalities for their staff. Every once in a while I will inquire...."how do you keep up such a pleasant disposition?" They usually rely...."because we love our job"

As I am very prone to motion sickness that alone would probably be the deciding factor on choosing Fantasy again over the Holiday.

Good idea. If one is prone to seasickness, then book a bigger ship.

Hey lovin2traveltn! I am from West Tn and drove to Mobile last year. We will also be driving again in June to board the Holiday for the last time. I have a 14 and 11 year old and they both had a good time last year (obviously or we wouldn't be going back). I think with kids it is cheaper to go somewhere u can just drive. My hope is to go again next year to get on the Fantasy if at all possible. Well hope u have a good time no matter what u decide.:D

• 2 weeks later...

Holiday is adquate. It is well maintained, but it is older. You can change carpet, but you can't change the fundamental design of an older ship.

Fantasy is nicer, larger, with lots of new furnishings and WaterWorks for the kids. Our cruise on Fantasy was a lot smoother than Holiday too, if you're prone to seasickness. I would not hesitate to go on Holiday again, but New Orleans really isn't that much farther for you than Mobile....maybe an hour. Given the comparable prices and drive time, I'd take Fantasy.

I didn't find the Holiday the rust bucket that some made her out to be. Even though she dates from 1985, she has largely been well maintained. Clean, very clean.

Those who take issue with her have valid points on size ( compared to newer ships) and the rough ride. My only major complaint was the horrific vibrations & noise in the aft most cabins....like mine U212.

If one has good sea legs and stays clear of certain aft cabins, I think they would enjoy the Holiday. For what I paid, it was a nice cruise for the money.

No atrium on the Holiday - that was it's major problem for me. If anyone has a chance of feeling claustrophobic on a ship, it's the Holiday. I only did a 2 night cruise to nowhere and I had a good time, but I'd say that if it's an option to wait on the Fantasy, then I'd wait. If you'd rather just go to get away, then the Holiday will do. I would make sure I didn't pay too much because to me it's not worth the prices bigger and better ships bring. I do think that it's more of a yacht like feel. Lots of deck space due to less passengers and super friendly crew. It's not a bad way to spend a vacation, but please don't make the Carnival to RCI comparison based on just the Holiday. IMO, even though I've not sailed RCI, I doubt seriuosly that Holiday even comes close to the Sovereign OTS as far as the ship itself.

Archived