Mullins Beach cost

23bchhp

My husband and I were in Barbados Sunday Nov. 28 2004 Tourist information told us a taxi to Mullins would be $20.00 one way. Customs and taxi dispatcher quoted the same fare. Every driver refused to do it for less than$30.00 each way. Rental of 2 chairs and an umbrella was $15.00 It was not worth $75.00.

My husband and I were in Barbados Sunday Nov. 28 2004 Tourist information told us a taxi to Mullins would be $20.00 one way. Customs and taxi dispatcher quoted the same fare. Every driver refused to do it for less than$30.00 each way. Rental of 2 chairs and an umbrella was $15.00 It was not worth $75.00.

I’m sorry to hear that about the taxi fare. US$75 is too much, for sure.

I’m sorry that no one told you to just walk a block east to Spring Garden Hwy and catch a shuttle for one dollar or the city bus for US.75 each way. By taking the shuttle your total tab with umbrellas and round trip transportation would have been US$19 for the both of you. Both the shuttle and the city busses go right past all the west coast beaches, including Mullins. They run every 30 minutes, or less, just like clockwork.

Give it a try next time and let the taxis sit in the lot, yes? :)

Yes, you are absolutely right. I noticed the frequency of busses as we waited for the taxi to make the return trip to the ship. We will never make the same mistake. Since it was Sunday , I thought the busses might not be frequent

• 2 weeks later...

We had a similar experience with bad barbados taxi drivers. We were qouted $80 round trip to Folkstone Marine Park. I bargained them down to $55 round trip and took it. At drop off, I told him $15 now and $40 when he picked us up because of the shortness of the time in port. We later found out that it cost everyone else $12 each way. So we found other transportation back for $20 with tip. When he arrived an hour later, I can't imagine what he said. Serves him right, the gov't issued taxi rate was $12 for that route. If you figure $1US is $2 Barbados, then $55 barbados is about right, thats $28 round trip. So I paid him my 1/2 of the roundtrip.

At the port last week, we were quoted $50US for a trip that had cost us $40 BDOS coming the other way. This is the first time I have ever encountered gouging by a BDOS taxi - guess he thought he could take advantage of foreigners. We told him off and found another taxi who took us for the proper rate.

At the airport, I always check with the dispatcher for the government rate before taking a taxi, and never use the guys who try to hustle from the curb.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived