Guggenheim Museum in Venice

I thought it was a great museum. Definitely worth an hour or two if you have the time! While it's great to see all of the older European art, this is a nice break after seeing one too many Madonna with Childs. :)

It's also an easy stop to make. Easy to walk to, and it's not so overwhelming that you have to spend a whole day there. I plan to go back on my trip this summer.

Agree. If you enjoy modern art, it's worth the visit. Also, it's in a quiet section of Venice that backs onto the Grand Canal, so a pleasant walk to get there.

Beyond your artistic preferences, consider the days of the week you will visit Venice (museums close for a day, often Monday, but also Tuesday, or Wednesday), transportation/logistics issues, and if you are on an extended vacation, other similar options at your other ports and land opportunities.

(For example, we intend to purchase the "articket" in Barcelona and visit at least four of their options over a 4-day visit there.) Our plans for 3 1/2 days in Venice probably don't include this option as we will visit the Ghetto, enjoy Murano and transport to/from, and purchase the museums pass on Venice Connect. We will attempt to visit St. Marks square on a day absent cruise ships in port and will be in place at the morning opening to try to get an advantage over the infamous thousands of "day trippers."

I'm not looking forward to being pushed in/out of the basilica in 15 minutes and wouldn't know how to visit such a museum in only one hour (sort of like a 30 minute visit to Pisa?). Like many of the sights in Venice and elsewhere, the museum maintains a good descriptive web site that you should find useful.

Good luck in your planning,

David

It's one of my favourites. It was her home and many of the works were on the walls when she lived there. I loved seeing works of art on the wall of a room alongside a photo of Peggy Guggenheim and friends in the actual room I was standing in with the same work of art displayed on the wall behind the group (if that makes sense :confused:).

It's a lovely building and there are some interesting sculptures in the gardens too.

If you plan to go to the Guggenheim ( or to Venice for that matter), a good book to read beforehand is City of Falling Angels by John Berendt (who wrote Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil). It's a true story about the arson fire at the Fenice Opera House and the author meets and gets to know a bunch of famous Venice personalities--including Peggy Guggenheim. I couldn't wait to go there after reading the book--we walked to it (by accident, like everything in Venice) and meant to go back that afternoon but never made it for some reason--so now we have a reason to go back! ;) Cathy

we tried to go there a few times during out stay in Venice..never found it til we did a dusk waterbus tour just to look at stuff...it is across the canal from a very scenic water bus (vaparetto) stop...took pictures of this stop every other time we went by and never saw the museum on the other side...

Here is my opinion. My wife and I visited Venice in 07. That museum was on her list of things to visit. She loved it. I sat outside and watched the world and people; and ate gelato's while she visited the museum. It was a win/win for both of us. The correct answer would be: YES, worth the time.

Cheers

Archived