Difference between TA and a PVP?

ck53

After reading all the pages on "Never Going Carnival Again" thread made me wonder what is wrong w/ using a TA. So many people thought it would be more money if you switch a Carnival booking to a TA. I have never had this problem and I have done switched on both Carnival and Princess, am I just lucky?

After reading all the pages on "Never Going Carnival Again" thread made me wonder what is wrong w/ using a TA. So many people thought it would be more money if you switch a Carnival booking to a TA. I have never had this problem and I have done switched on both Carnival and Princess, am I just lucky?

I have always been quoted the same price either way.

Although, I am using a TA to get the 3% Upromise rebate.

Me too, or sometimes I have been given a lower quote by my TA. One time it was the same as Carnival's price so they threw in a OBC so that was more incentive to book w/ them.

No you are either very knowledgeable or don't mind dealing with a middle man in order to save some money.

I do the same but seem to be a minority here.

By reading a few threads seems some people don't understand how TA's get paid and think that you pay the TA extra out of your pocket.:confused:

Bill

TA is a travel agent that is independant from Carnival.They usually sell products other that Carnival. A PVP(Personal Vacation Planner) is a paid employee of Carnival. They sell only Carnival products. TA is paid by commission by the cruise line. I agree with S.S. Oceanlover, I think many people don't understand that TA's are paid by the cruise line and not the individual.

Got that part about a TA and a PVP but why does everyone think it is cheaper to go through a Carnival PVP.

One example is, our TA, got us a better price because they had other booking so we got a huge discount. Our TA deals only in cruises, which helps

It's just a choice, that's all.

Some TAs rebate part of their commission back to the customer so using a TA can be a better deal, some give gifts, some watch your fare closely and make sure you get the best possible deal, leaving you free to not have to think about that and other details.

Some people like being able to discuss their booking directly with Carnival so book directly.

Got that part about a TA and a PVP but why does everyone think it is cheaper to go through a Carnival PVP.

One example is, our TA, got us a better price because they had other booking so we got a huge discount. Our TA deals only in cruises, which helps

They are misinformed....as are many of the PVP's who learn about company happenings from customers who read them here. :rolleyes:

Heck...I was able to get a better price booking myself online on Carnivals site than "MY" assigned PVP was able to offer me. :p

I've done both - first time cruise was with a TA, it was a two week cruise, with airfare to San Diego and From Tampa. Having the TA was great, he took care of all the details, got me an excellent deal on the cruise. He was military specific, so was well versed in getting the best deal for the military. Since I was buying the cruise for myself and my gramma, my only request was a general "best value, long cruise to somewhere we had not been before" which with my gramma was no easy task - talk about a traveler! He worked with us to find the best cruise experiance at the best price, and he also gave us an OBC (not much, but it was nice. We spent it at the Spa.)

This time around, I was looking for a simple, local cruise, short duration I could drive thru. I went directly thru Carnivals PVP, and got a PVP who is AWESOME, and I just love working with him! He anwsers all my questions, gave me the best deal for my military discount, and he been a peach thru the whole planning event, what with the swine flu thing, and all the extra stuff the military demands to know.

So, in both cases, I was very fotunate. I would continue to work with a PVP for short term, uncomplicated cruises, but go thru a TA for any longer, more travel-intensive cruises I would want to take in the future (Or for any cruises where I just say "I want to go to this unspecific thing at this unspecific date...find me the best deal!" lol!)

:cool:

Some TAs have their own fees for making changes and cancellations above what Carnival charges. Like anything else you have to do your homework and know all the fees when you go in. Some TA's are awesome and some are not. It's just a personal decision to use one or not.

Personally I don't because I want control of my booking. I don't want to call a TA then wait for them to do what I can do myself. Others don't have the time or don't want to do any of the booking themselves and for them a TA is great.

As far as the PVP goes, like a TA you might have a good one or you might have a bad one. I consider mine good but not great. He really hasn't done anything more then I could do by calling the toll free #. One downside I found is like using a TA if you booked with a PVP and have trouble with your early saver adjustment, you must go through the PVP dept (just like you'd have to go through the TA) to get it fixed. The toll free # can't make the adjustment if you booked with a PVP.

cost has never been an issue with booking a cruise..

we no longer use a TA cuz of her attitude when we had to

cancel a cruise..perhap s not fair to group all TA s into this group..

it just left such a lasting impression that we ve just decide d it

was much easier to book directly..

since that moment we ve found that booking directly eliminated

alot of problems of changing pricing..change in bookings and

getting question s answer d in a much more timely manner..

*just wanna say that im not knocking the vast majority of

excellent excellent travel agencies and their TA s..

Heck...I was able to get a better price booking myself online on Carnivals site than "MY" assigned PVP was able to offer me. :p

I think you have a horrible PVP. The website reflects their reservation system price. Maybe your PVP missed a promo code or something.

I've received a price quote from my PVP and also from my TA. They are exactly the same price. Now I have the dilemma, who do I book with ? I'm not sure what to do anymore. My PVP keeps calling me to verify if i'm ready to book, so he seems to be interested in getting my business. I just would like the easiest way to book and the easiest person to contact in the event that there is any issues.

Thanks for the answers! I guess it is the same as w/ a lot of things in life, you have choices! Not a bad thing...

Sophie,

If price is the same go w/ whom ever you feel most comfortable w/ and who has the most time to keep checking for price drops:D

I've received a price quote from my PVP and also from my TA. They are exactly the same price. Now I have the dilemma, who do I book with ? I'm not sure what to do anymore. My PVP keeps calling me to verify if i'm ready to book, so he seems to be interested in getting my business. I just would like the easiest way to book and the easiest person to contact in the event that there is any issues.

Well if I was in your situation and there was no cost savings there would be no point to using a travel agent. I'd definitely book directly.

That way you have total control of your booking with no middle man.

Bill

Archived