Canopy tour

sashapoo

I'd also be interested if anyone has any info on the canopy tour.

I believe HAL usually offers it in Montego Bay, but for some reason, no excursions are listed for that port right now :confused: (for our Jan '05 cruise)

I'm also interested in any independant tour ops that might offer this canopy tour!

Hope someone can help!

We are supposed to dock in Ocho Rios 12-23 and I would really like to doa canopy tour AND climb the falls. Unfortunately, the cruise ship excursions don't seem to allow time for both (Carnival). ANy suggestions to get both in?

Hi

We are on RCC's 'Slendor of the Sea s' 21/24/04 and the 12/27 stop is Montego Bay ...AND ... in the docs booklet they have "MJS Canopy Tour $89.00adult/89child" ...a @ 4 hour tour.

Lots of questions .. as we have NO IDEA WHAT IS INVOLVED IN A "CANOPY TOUR". They make it sound like you go swinging across Trees, decks and other places but with what? a rope..?

Any help here would be greatly appreciated.

We wonder what condition the "canopy" in Jamacica could be, after the Hurricanes ?? Here in Florida, with less impact we have places that are "tree-less".

Any of you do this before? Could please, give us some insite ... we thinks it sounds really exciting but are at a loss as to what happens.

Thanks for any help.

Seamo

Gee cali-croozer, thanks lot for that site.

Now we understand wht will be happening. Looks like a grande experience.

We are now going to start investigating the ...How to -- with whom -- -- how much $ -- and how long -- booking exercise.

I will post what we find out. --ALSO-- our RCC booklet gives a six paragraph outline of the canopy tour in Montego Bay, Jamaica. they say it is 4 hours total with 9 traverses crossing Great River that between Parishes of St. James and Hanover. ( If anyone wants the whole article- ask (post)- and I'll re-copy it here.).

Thanks again for the great site.

---got to "seamo"---

Hello again,

I've searched with Google for canopy site and info. There are a lot in other places but the only one I can find (Jamacia) is the one that cali-croozer so kindly supplied two posts earlier. The videos of the Costa Rico canopy were really exciting to watch .. and they make one want to do this tour as a, for sure.

__ BUT WE NEED HELP FINDING AN OPERATOR__

If anyone tunes in here and knows or has recently experienced the Jamaica canopy ...PLEASE... post and help us out!! Thanks,

hoping to be at .... Seamo

icon1.gifOcho Rios Excursion Question

I'm intrested in this combo too. Anyone?

We are booked for the Canopy Adventure zip line excursion in Ocho Rios. (Can't believe I talked him into it!) It is booked for 8:30am-1pm. Boarding is at 4:30pm. Would we have time to then take a cab (and can you even do this?) to see Dunn's River falls before departing? I heard it is beautiful...worth it? Once you take a cab there, are they readily available for return? This will be our second cruise and we have only booked trips through the cruise lines, as I am still leary about the timing in the ports. Has else done the Canopy Adventure?

--Phyllis

icon1.gifOcho Rios Excursion Question

I'm intrested in this combo too. Anyone?

We are booked for the Canopy Adventure zip line excursion in Ocho Rios. (Can't believe I talked him into it!) It is booked for 8:30am-1pm. Boarding is at 4:30pm. Would we have time to then take a cab (and can you even do this?) to see Dunn's River falls before departing? I heard it is beautiful...worth it? Once you take a cab there, are they readily available for return? This will be our second cruise and we have only booked trips through the cruise lines, as I am still leary about the timing in the ports. Has else done the Canopy Adventure?

--Phyllis

Sorry, can't help you but maybe you can help me........Did you book independently or through the ship and can you tell us how much it cost? Are you going soon? Please let us know how it turns out. Thank you!

Hi,

I emailed both "chukka" and "canopytour". As yet, NO WORD

from either of them. I asked a lot of questions about time, cost,

and ability to get in another tour, where is pick up and drop etc.

I'll post here if they answer before our Friday, Dec 24 th departure ... (our ship is going to Montego Bay.). The "Chukka" site says they do both O.R and Montego.

Hope someone can "enlighten us" before then.

4 days and we .... get to Seamo

For any excursion plan in Ocho Rios, I would really recommend A-Z Tours.

Contact Belinda@a-zjamaicaplanners.com

We booked through them for our visit just last week and I'm sure they could set you up for whatever local activities you want. We made up a custom tour which went off without a hitch for lots less money that the canned ship excursion would have cost.

Hi,

One reply from "Nicohlas" at Chukka. One sentence: "You can book onboard the cruise ship after you are embaked."

For us it is late enough that that IS the only option; other than risk getting something once we are on shore in Jamaica. For those going later .. keet trying, I guess. You'd think some of the operators would want to book ahead of the ships. ????!!!

Thanks to everyone for all the effort and help , here.

Got to pack those bags so we can get off tomorrow to... Seamo

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

For those of you still wondering, we were on the Splendor. / With a stop in Mont. Bay. Must to book the Canopy thru the Ship.!! It was run by Chukkatours. You meet them .. at the dock .

Drive to the river area (45min.)

Great Great FUN FUN 9 traverses .. with one being 1080 feet. Very safe with well maintained - well inspected gear. The guides are well trained and loads of fun. This is (in our opinion) ..THE BEST tour from any crusie we've been on.

Get down to the book desk early (some missed out--cause they tried a little too late).

I doubt there would be time to do two tours, that is unless you have an unusual long stay.

Hope this helps someone.

Enjoy ... we did and can't wait to ........... Seamo

Thank you for the information.........many times, we don't hear from people after they've returned. We're definitely going to try it. I hope we can book it since it's very limited. You were on Royal Caribbean? Was it a 4 hour tour? I ask because Carnival's website says it's only 2.5 hours.

Hi,

Happy to give back here, at these ..."great" and so .. helpful info post boards.

Our total time was about 5 and 1/2 hours. off the ship, it was a 1/2 hour wait, while everyone got connected. Our group was @ 14 .. much less than the late group that we met on our return to the same area where we started the tour. Travel time : 1 1/2 hrs to and back. Was @ 2 1/2 hours on the actual "canopy"! The river tube is in the exact same spot. Boy ... were they (tuber) envious ... the tube trip is NOTHING compared to the CANOPY. The water is a little low now so the river is slow and as one guy said, "DULL". Well, we "flyers" were not dulled ... everyone just loved it ...fun -- exciting --- safe --

beautiful scenry and well worth the $$ .... BEST CRUISE TOUR ++ WE HAVE EVER DONE !!!~ \

Boy do we envy you .. cause we just weould love to be there to ............................ Seamo

Thanx, it sounds awesome.......how about "extras", like pictures or videos. It's going to be expensive for us (family of 4), but I'd like to know if they offerred these items. Is there a way to take some pics of your own? If we do this tour, once finished, we're just going back to the ship. Are there any vendors, right at the dock, so we can pick up a few trinkets?,

Hi,

We brought a water-proof camera ( Kodac one timer use) in case it rained. Did not Rain. We secured it to our arm with the rubber holder provided. This worked well .... I put 2 Two bands on (just in case). You need a fanny pack of the like as "nothing in your hands" applies. The guides allowed a photo guy to take picture (digital) from the spots of landing. He got some great movie sequence shots of some people and some very blurry shots of others. I am guessing that his cameras do not auto focus -- on the moving traverser. Several people brought their own "expensive cameras" and here is where a good quality waist pack of some kind made a lot of sense. We handed ours back and forth and thus got both going and coming shots. THe coming in are the best -- cause most everyone kind of looks the same from behind ... tee-hee well some maybe bigger and some prettier than others tee-hee

... Oh the disc was $ 20.00. He said per person ... but then asked if we were a family. It was $ 20.00 a disc for the family also..??? Unfortunately, we were some of the "blurry people" but others we saw were very nicely done. He had a computer set up at the end of the tour and showed you, before you commited to buy. The port was limited as to shops ... unless you need a specific tee or blue coffee, we'd leave the shopping for another port.

P.S. we found the ship shopping just a few bucks over the ports and the quality was better .... but if you GOT TO HAVE THE ONE THAT SAYS '"Yo Maan, Jamaica be .... well you are in Jamaica, maannn . Hope this helps a tad .....

Have fun and enjoy those traverses ..........weeeeeeeeeeeeee got to...........................................Seamo

Thanx for the reply. I like that you got to preview the pics/video before you committed as I have heard of some people on other excursions who were disappointed with their "sight unseen" photos. I will definitely take a disposable camera and use your picture method. As far as shopping, we just like to pick up a little something from each port, like a t-shirt for the kids, so it looks like we'll be ok. I really don't want to take a cab into town.........don't want to deal with pushy vendors.

PS.......In one of the advertisements for the canopy tour (I forget which one), they described how beautiful it was to "silently" glide over the forest.......yeah, right. I don't think I'll be silent. I'll be waking up all the animals with my screams!:)

• 4 weeks later...

We have already hired a driver to take us around the area for the day. Isn't it possible to book a Canopy Tour privately? Relative will be in Montego Bay for a week at a hotel and would like to do a canopy tour too. What do people do who are not on a cruise ship? I tried emailing www.canopypago.com several times and have not heard back. Anybody have any information? Thanks!

Archived