What to do in Skagway for the active people?

teege

Hi, fiance and I will be in Skagway late may and want to know what to do. We enjoy hikes/biking and views. Price is a decent consideration, I think ideally under 130 each but if something were spectacular we may spring for it.

I've seen things about the train, and while it seems nice, ideally we will do more active activities.

Thoughts?

For free, you can hike to Upper/Lower Dewey Lake. A top, budget touring choice is a car rental and driving to Emerald Lake, necessary is the purchase of Murrays Guide. Only major rental is Avis.

Bike rentals are available and a wonderful ride out to Dyea, or part, 11 miles each way.

For free, you can hike to Upper/Lower Dewey Lake. A top, budget touring choice is a car rental and driving to Emerald Lake, necessary is the purchase of Murrays Guide. Only major rental is Avis.

Bike rentals are available and a wonderful ride out to Dyea, or part, 11 miles each way.

The bike to Dyea sounds interesting. Where can I get more info on that, ie, how to get there, etc.?

We rode bikes the first few miles up the road to Dyea. There's a 1-mile grade, you'd better be a strong cyclist or be ready to "hike-a-bike" :) I did get smug satisfaction leaving my teenage son in the dust and passing up 20ish people despite my advanced age....

You can ride out to Dyea on your own or with a tour. At the top of the grade, just before the pavement ends, there is a scenic overlook (a deck that overlooks the entire city). A few hundred feet past that is an unpaved road called "Grizzly Ass Road". It's a fun, steep downhill that's a great shortcut back into town. Look for it going to Dyea so you can use it returning.

BTW, after being there I was glad we did not do the bike tour from White Pass summit back down to Skagway. You're sharing a narrow, twisty highway with semis and inattentive tourists. Also you will miss the scenery because it requires being totally focused on the road, although they presumably make photo stops.

Archived