How long? - MDR

awinter

How long does dinner normally take from the time you sit at the table till your finish in the MDR? We are signed up for "any time dining" and understand that there may be a short wait for a table..however we do plan on being there right around the time it starts (5:45pm). I thought I read somewhere that it could take about 2 hrs. Is that about right? If this is true, we may end up in the buffet most nights.

The MDR is a formal, 3 (or more)-course meal and you should plan accordingly. Estimate about an hour and half-2 hours for the full meal. The food is excellent, the company is fun, it's nice to catch up after the day. If you don't want to spend that much time, by all means go to the buffet.

~Kristie

On the last cruise I went on it was about one and a half hours or so from start to finish. The time passes quickly as you are talking with your tablemates about their day and before you know it the waiters are asking you if you would like some after dinner coffee.

It's my son I'm worried about. He gets bored after an hour or so. Hopefully we can get it down to about an 1 1/2 hours. We plan on requesting a 4 top table as we don't want to sit with others (I know, I know, no flames please ;)) and just want to enjoy a nice dinner without having to sit for a long time when we can be enjoying other things.

Thanks for the replies! I guess we will try it and see how we make out.

It's my son I'm worried about. He gets bored after an hour or so. Hopefully we can get it down to about an 1 1/2 hours. We plan on requesting a 4 top table as we don't want to sit with others (I know, I know, no flames please ;)) and just want to enjoy a nice dinner without having to sit for a long time when we can be enjoying other things.

How old is your son? We just took my 6 year old grandson on a cruise last week and while he was bored a little he made it through OK.

Why would anyone flame you for wanting to sit by yourself? I prefer to do that and almost always sit by ourselves.

I'm no social butterfly and I feel uncomfortable sitting with strangers.

Bill

I don't recall how long dinner took but I dont' think it was anywhere close to 2 hours. Of course we get our own table for 2 so maybe that makes it quicker. We were usually done and leaving before the close by big tops were even close to getting done.

We have criused with our DS since they were 2 (almost 3) and 8. Every waiter we have had has been fantastic and learned mom's (ie milk every night for them)/their preferences (a fruit plate to start) within a day or two. In fact, I have learned to tell them up front the first night that they boys will be drinking milk every night. They have always had the milk and fruit on the table within minutes of us sitting down, without having to order. Of course, we tell them if we plan on not coming to the dining room the next night.

If they are wanting to get to camp by 7 for an activity, we simply ask the wait staff to bring them their dessert while we still eat dinner. Then, after we finish the main course, one of us takes a peak at the dessert menu and takes them to camp while the other one orders. Then, we can linger over tea/coffee and dessert. Works perfectly!

PS - when they were younger, we took crayons and paper (sometimes the ships have it, but I have also known them to run out) to keep them occupied also.

If you get seated with others, don't dismay! The kids can eat and go, and the adults can have a nice, leisurely dinner with great conversation! Dinnertime is something to be enjoyed, not to be "rushed" through! It IS an activitiy!

How long does dinner normally take from the time you sit at the table till your finish in the MDR? We are signed up for "any time dining" and understand that there may be a short wait for a table..however we do plan on being there right around the time it starts (5:45pm). I thought I read somewhere that it could take about 2 hrs. Is that about right? If this is true, we may end up in the buffet most nights.

With anytime dining you set your own pace. You can get out in 45 minutes if you want to, it is not like the regular seating where you are at the mercy of others and the wait staff. Also with anytime dining you do not have to sit with anyone else, that is one of the beauties of it.

Archived