Early Saver Question

You can register online, and check prices, but the reservation belongs to the agent and there is nothing that you can do with it, and if I remember correctly you cannot even see the pricing information about the reservation.

Since I have haven't before, do you get a contract from the agency that shows all the pricing?

You can register online, and check prices, but the reservation belongs to the agent and there is nothing that you can do with it, and if I remember correctly you cannot even see the pricing information about the reservation.

The agent just emailed me back and said that when we call the cruise line, we will assign the cabins at that time. Once we've made the deposit, we email your "Initial Deposit Confirmation". Your cruise line booking number will be on that confirmation. You'll then use your Cruise Line Booking number to go to the Carnival website to complete your FunPass. This is the mandatory information for Homeland Security. Once this is complete, you'll be able to review your booking details online and pre-order your optional shore excursions.

Does this sound right so far?

We booked an early saver cruise with a TA other than Carnival a month ago. I called the other day to ask why we were charged a booking fee of $25 per person without being notified of this. The recording said that we needed to call back in 2 weeks due to all the issues they are dealing with with the swine flu issues - to hang up and call back unless we were cruising in the next 2 weeks. Now, we did get a great rate with this TA - just wondered if this was weird that we cannot get through to talk to anyone and they charged us a booking fee without notification.

We booked an early saver cruise with a TA other than Carnival a month ago. I called the other day to ask why we were charged a booking fee of $25 per person without being notified of this. The recording said that we needed to call back in 2 weeks due to all the issues they are dealing with with the swine flu issues - to hang up and call back unless we were cruising in the next 2 weeks. Now, we did get a great rate with this TA - just wondered if this was weird that we cannot get through to talk to anyone and they charged us a booking fee without notification.

Are you trying to call Carnival or your travel agent to find out why you were charged with $25 booking fee? It sounds like you are trying to call Carnival. I can't imagine a travel agency telling you to call back in 2 weeks but nothing surprises me anymore.

Bill

Is this an "on-line TA" that has a site where you can check the fine print? If they're charging you a booking fee, they're probably going to charge for Price Adjustments, also. I'd also be searching for alternate (internal) phone numbers for the company. ken

This was the agent's reply..does this make more sense now?

By "no-agent" involvement, I mean they require us to book the Early Saver strictly through the "automated" system. We cannot call their agents for assistance. Because the rates are so low, they have to cut "overhead" on the bookings so they put the restrictions on it. They don't want to pay one of their agents to do the work on the booking. As you'll see when we conference call the cruise line to select cabins, it's a lengthy process.

This is EXACTLY right. When TAs call Carnival to book, Carnival does NOT offer the Early Saver rate as an option on the phone. They offer all other rates. But when asked about the Early Saver, Carnival reps say they can't "book it on the phone, must be done through bookccl.com"

So if the TA wants to keep a client with the lowest booking price, then they just go to the Carnival TA site and book it there.

This is EXACTLY right. When TAs call Carnival to book, Carnival does NOT offer the Early Saver rate as an option on the phone. They offer all other rates. But when asked about the Early Saver, Carnival reps say they can't "book it on the phone, must be done through bookccl.com"

So if the TA wants to keep a client with the lowest booking price, then they just go to the Carnival TA site and book it there.

Bookccl.com is the Carnival TA site, right?

And when the TA books at bookccl.com the TA can select the Category/Cabin, right?

So what's hard/complicated (as mentioned several posts above) about this?

ken

Bookccl.com is the Carnival TA site, right?

And when the TA books at bookccl.com the TA can select the Category/Cabin, right?

So what's hard/complicated (as mentioned several posts above) about this?

ken

Yes, BookCCL is the TA site. And yes, the TA can select a cabin when using that rate. And NO, there is nothing hard/complicated about it.

The only "complicated" part is that the TA's commission is drastically reduced when using the Early Saver rate or so it seems.

Yes, BookCCL is the TA site. And yes, the TA can select a cabin when using that rate. And NO, there is nothing hard/complicated about it.

The only "complicated" part is that the TA's commission is drastically reduced when using the Early Saver rate or so it seems.

Is the commission Rate (10-15% or whatever) reduced for the Early Saver, or just the amount of their commission becomes less due to the initially lower CruiseFare (and of course for the subsequent fare adjustments).

Also, seems to me that there's upcomming confusion/discontent for the situation where TA's give an even lower initial Early Saver Rate by in effect kciking-back some of their meager commission. In those cases, the TA's rate isn't Carnival's rate, and for those customers the Carnival-advertised Early Saver rate will have to drop below the rate the TA charged the customer????

ken

Is the commission Rate (10-15% or whatever) reduced for the Early Saver, or just the amount of their commission becomes less due to the initially lower CruiseFare (and of course for the subsequent fare adjustments).

Also, seems to me that there's upcomming confusion/discontent for the situation where TA's give an even lower initial Early Saver Rate by in effect kciking-back some of their meager commission. In those cases, the TA's rate isn't Carnival's rate, and for those customers the Carnival-advertised Early Saver rate will have to drop below the rate the TA charged the customer????

ken

You know, I don't know. It is confusing even to me how those commission rates work with regards to the Early Saver.

I saw a booking for 5 people, total price was $910 (Carnival 3 day cruise Early Saver) - total Commission on it was $36. TOTAL.

ken

Also remember that the commission is only figured on the cruise portion of the cruise rate. On these super low rates, very little is left that is commissionable.

I do know if I want to book a 1A on a 5 day, many TAs dont want to fool with me, so I book direct or with someone who doesnt work on commission (yes there are some who hire people by the hour that I cant mention, even though the TA itself receives commission the reps you speak with dont, so they dont care if you book something really cheap, like a regular TA who works only on commission).

Also remember that the commission is only figured on the cruise portion of the cruise rate. On these super low rates, very little is left that is commissionable. that's True!!!!

I do know if I want to book a 1A on a 5 day, many TAs dont want to fool with me, so I book direct or with someone who doesnt work on commission (yes there are some who hire people by the hour that I cant mention, even though the TA itself receives commission the reps you speak with dont, so they dont care if you book something really cheap, like a regular TA who works only on commission) INTERESTING! Hadn't thought of that!.

Personally, When I eventually book an Early Saver I'll be booking thru my PVP (who we use a whole once a year).

ken

This day in age, I'm surprised people are still using TA's.

As I work in the travel industry, I do not want to see any type of job being eliminated, but ask yourself this question.....

Do you book airline tickets with a TA? If you do, great keep on doing it, for you are the type of person who wants the no hassle, give it to me straight kind of vacation. But for those that do book directly with the airlines, why not do the same with Carnival?

It's sad, because I have seen many many good friends lose their job due to customers buying direct from the websites. Times change, and I unfortunately had to change with them. Now I book direct and do all the haggling myself.

I am confused about the pricing. I found that most TA's quotes were the same as Carnival, but they might throw in a small OBC or some other perk.

How can some of the online companies (like the ones through Cruise Compete) offer such lower rates? Do they buy ahead of time in bulk? I have gotten quotes from a couple that were about $200 less than Carnival's price and offer an OBC.

I know it is hard to tell in the future if there are price reductions, etc. But if I were able to book at $200 less with OBC I would be perfectly happy if the price didn't go down and I didn't receive any further credits.

gone crusin - I agree! All the info is there for anyone research and to to book Airline or Cruise themselves. If I was a newbie or just more comfrtable having someone experienced do that for me, I'd go to a recommended, local TA. ken

I wanted to clarify, that so far, this agent is not lazy. She is very quick to answer all my questions (and ther have been many).

Wait until she has your booking.

Or maybe you will be in that very low minority and actually do have a good TA. They are getting rarer and rarer to find.

Wait until she has your booking.

Or maybe you will be in that very low minority and actually do have a good TA. They are getting rarer and rarer to find.

I guess I don't expect much. As long as I get the price quoted and the paperwork on time, I am happy. I feel that when you book, you need to be 100% happy with the current price you got, any reduction or credit you may ge tint he future is a surprise.

I guess I don't expect much. As long as I get the price quoted and the paperwork on time, I am happy. I feel that when you book, you need to be 100% happy with the current price you got, any reduction or credit you may ge tint he future is a surprise.

I used to be that trusting too. Best of luck to you.

gone crusin - I agree! All the info is there for anyone research and to to book Airline or Cruise themselves. If I was a newbie or just more comfrtable having someone experienced do that for me, I'd go to a recommended, local TA. ken

I'm not a newbie (cruise #21 coming up) and still use a TA and no I don't need hand holding. I just like to pay less money.

Skylock,

I must be in the minority since I have a good TA. No fees and discounts the prices.

Gone_Crusin,

What do you mean that you book yourself and do all the haggling? What's to haggle about? You call, pick your dates, ship, cabin, and give them your credit card info. At what point of the process does the haggling enter the picture?

Billl

Gone_Crusin,

What do you mean that you book yourself and do all the haggling? What's to haggle about? You call, pick your dates, ship, cabin, and give them your credit card info. At what point of the process does the haggling enter the picture?

Billl

My point exactly. I booked thru a TA on my very first cruise and once I realized I didn't need to pay someone $50 to hit the "submit button" for me, I have not looked back.

The other other exception is when I used my Carnival Miles - they don't give you any choice there, but they also don't charge an additional fee.

Haggling - you would be surprised at what you can get when you haggle. Just read anyones post in here. Whether you complain or be polite, Carnival agents are there at your disposal. Again, I don't need TA to ask for an OBC when the rates change.

I'm not a newbie (cruise #21 coming up) and still use a TA and no I don't need hand holding. I just like to pay less money.

Skylock,

I must be in the minority since I have a good TA. No fees and discounts the prices.

Gone_Crusin,

Billl

Not saying it is not possible to find a good TA, just saying it is rare.

Me too. My TA is really good, responsive, helpful. Always willing to answer questions/look things up for me. I don't NEED her for bookings but she always has a lower price than anywhere else I can find - might not be a huge savings but it's cheaper nonetheless. She also does not charge any cancellation or change fees.

Archived