Is six ports in seven days too much???

cmlmich

This will be our first cruise and I am wondering if hitting six ports in seven days is too busy? Is there time to relax at all? Anyone else do the southern Caribbean cruise with Carnival. I have not booked it yet but I am leaning that way. It looks and sounds great, but I have no experience.

We are booked on the Victory in Sept and plan not to do tours every day some of the days we just want to relax on the beaches and maybe find a good place to eat. Which ship are you looking at?

Just got off the Spirit, and that all depends on your style. The 5 days at sea at the end sure helped unwind. But as the previous poster suggested, take some time to relax.

It's too bad they don't go to Aruba in the itinerary anymore like they did when we were on the Destiny as you had a day before and after at sea to relax.

If you are anything like me, anywhere I go, I feel like I have to cram in all the sights I can while I have the chance. (Las Vegas, Orlando, Cruises, etc.) This may not be a good thing! If this is your first cruise, maybe you should be concentrating on "ship life" first. If you're looking to relax, maybe you should try a less port intensive cruise. Just my opinion, of course!;)

Sailed the Victory in March. Loved the 6 stops but I will tell you that it is very tiring. You just have to make time to relax. There are many things to see at each of the different islands. In St Thomas since we had been there many times, we just shopped and shopped. St. Lucia did a tour of the island, Antigua we did the 4x4 jeep tour and had a blast, Barbados did a tour of the island, Dominca went to the falls and gardens (beautiful island) St Kitts we were there the year before so we didn't do anything but walked our the town. Did the train tour the year before and it was wonderful and you can relax and see a lot of the island.

Would do it all over again in a heart beat. We had the late dinner seating which we also found to be the best since you don't leave the islands until later in the day and we used that time to relax or take a nap before dinner.

Don't let the ship fool with it's age, it is beautiful and in great shape.

All I have to say is go for it!!!!!:)

one of my last things in life is to see as many different places

and culture s as i can..if it mean s 6 ports in 7 days, all the better..

it does nt mean that just because it s there that you have to go

ashore..there have been time s all we did we get off for a half hr.

to stretch our sea legs then get back on the ship..

then there were those time s that took advantages of discounts

in the spa..and just enjoyed a nearly deserted lido..

it s just have more choice s ..though the sea is beautiful..it might

get a bit boring just watching the waves hr after hr..

I'd think five ports in five days would be a lot. Of course, it's only a lot if you try to pack a full day of activities into each stop. I'd suggest pre-booking tours at perhaps two or three of the ports, leaving you with the other two or three to take it easier.

We were on the Conquest in March and the seven day itinerary involves two sea days followed by three port days followed by one sea day. The three port days in a row seemed like a lot of go, go, go. So I'd think five in a row would start to wear on you.

Ideally, the port days would be divided up more evenly with the sea days, but until they can move Jamaica into the middle of the Gulf of Mexico, that's not going to happen with the Western Caribbean itinerary!

I'd just suggest that you don't try to over-do it and I'm sure you'll have fun.

nope, not us.

We purposely book the ships that have MORE sea days (like the Miracle 8 day=4 sea days)...we usually don't do a whole lot on port days. Sometimes we stay on the ship.

we go for ultimate relaxation...not sightseeing.

We did the 6/6 last year on the Destiny and loved it!:D See the Destiny 5/08 link below for my review if interested. We also like our sea days, so to make up for it, we're going on two CC Group cruises to Bermuda this year, then the Eastern Caribbean next year!:cool:

We've done the Caribbean twice but with 5 stops.

First timw, we needed a vacation when we got back, but were glad to see places we previously had not visited. The second time, we visited more beaches than toured, and seemed to be more relaxed.

It really all depends on what you plan on doing in port. I personally like sea days and find them the most relaxing. I would definitely suggest taking it easy in some ports, and not trying to cram everything in. I'm sure you will have a great time.

Me and the wife loved the "rush" of seeing 1 great thing each day. Dont over do it,,,we did 1 beach each day. If I missed the ship in St Lucia I would not try to get back home,,We went to a little(resort) beach with a bar in the middle of the cove,,was PERFECT,,swam/snorkled,had a great fish soup and a huge mixed drink full of fruit and ALCOHOL,with a great view from our table,, I will get the name for you. Only draw back was we did not get to use much of the ship,, but we would do it again.

Did the Victory in March also and loved it. It is a bit different since you don't get to know the ship as much as you would on other itineraries. I just planned each port with the thought of not over doing it and exhausting ourselves. It took some planning, but I love doing my pre-cruise "homework". If you are interested in seeing many different places that are all beautiful then you can't go wrong. My review is in my signature next to where I have the Victory listed. There are a lot of pictures in there as well. I would do it again in a heart beat and probably will some day. We just have some other ports to explore first.

We did this type of itinerary a couple of times in the past.

No more.

These days, I luuuuuuuuurve me some sea days. The more the better.

We did the Hawaiian cruise 2 yrs ago and we were in port everyday. We did shore excursions on 3 days and rented a car the other days and drove ourselves around the island. This helped us pace ourselves. One thing we did not do was go to the late shows on the cruise and stay up late. Just pace yourself and make time to relax.

It's hard to say - there seems to be two different types of cruisers out there - those who love sea days, and those who like as many ports as possible. Before I took my first cruise I'd have said I would be a port person but now I'm just the opposite and would like as many sea days as possible.

For a first cruise, a good one to try might be one of the 7 day cruises with 4 ports and 2 sea days. That way you get a little of both and can decide what you like most. You see some new places and get plenty of port time but can still experience what a day at sea is like. Personally, I'm one of those people who feels like I really need to get out and experience a corner of the world I'm not used to if we are in port so doing that every day gets exhausting. Even the 4 port day cruises are a little tiring for me. I have a fabulous time, I just come home feeling like I need a few days to recover from my vacation.

I love the 8 day cruises with only 3 ports and 4 sea days - plenty of time to explore the ship and relax along with some port time. :D

I would have to agree with those who like some sea days . I would say if they had a day or 2 at the end on the trip it would be great , we haven't done the southern from San Juan or barbados just because it is a port every day and if you have never been to the ports which do you not see, we live in N fla and we have some of the prettiest beaches in the world , other than the crystal clear water caribbean beaches are pretty but all the same.

WE have chosen Miracle out of Ft Lauderdale 8 days Southern, st Maarten, st lucia and st kitts 2 sea days either side . price is still good. I need those days to rest so I can handle stress in my business upon our return.

JMO

we booked the Eastern Caribbean, going to Puerto Rico and Virgin Islands.

I actually had another cruise on another line booked. After we called Carnival and were quoted for a wrap-around aft balcony for a few dollars less, and thought about where we really wanted to go (Virgin Islands, one place I've always wanted to see) we decided we'd rather have more days at sea, enjoying our wrap. We also like to do AI's where we just hang out at the pool most of the time. So think about what you really want to do.

If you like to tour and sight see or relax. If you have more days at sea, then that's just another excuse to do another cruise to see what you didn't the first time around!! Happy Cruising!!

I think everyone is giving you good advice. One factor that hasn't been mentioned though is who you're travelling with. I wouldn't do a port intensive itinerary if we were taking young children, teens who want to sleep late or someone who is elderly or disabled (or disorganized, LOL!) Also, those shore excursion costs really add up with a group:eek:

But, if you are a healthy energetic couple who enjoys seeing and doing a lot then you can have an amazing trip. I love to plan and DH and I have travelled extensively together so I know we can get up and out, stay organized and have a blast even if we're constantly on the go. That said, it is true that this is your first cruise and you will want to fully enjoy the ship too.

This will be our first cruise and I am wondering if hitting six ports in seven days is too busy? Is there time to relax at all? Anyone else do the southern Caribbean cruise with Carnival. I have not booked it yet but I am leaning that way. It looks and sounds great, but I have no experience.

Sounds like a bit much for me. Especially for a first cruise.

wayyyyyyyyyyy to many port days for me.

I love my sea days too.

Perhaps if it was a longer cruise to say the Med where it might be a once in a lifetime, (or very long time) thing then maybe I could want to see as much as possible.

But for a 7 dayer in the carribbean,I want as much relaxation (and sea days) as I can get :)

I did the Southern Caribbean itinerary with 6 ports last year and absolutely loved it. It's been my favorite cruise so far. Loved it so much that I have it booked again. I don't care for sea days at all. I'd rather see somewhere new each day. I loved waking up to a different port each day. I could do this cruise over and over.

As most have mentioned, it is up to you as to how relaxing or busy you wish to be.

For me I like there to be at least 2 days at sea. For a 7 nighter, I would want at least 3. This way I am sure to relax and yet I get to see a couple of ports.

My parents love sea days and would not have an issue with 5 days at sea on a 7 nighter.

A friend of mine is just the opposite. He hates sea days so more then 1 and you are pushing it with him so the cruise you are thinking of would be his kind of cruise.

Take a look at your land vacations. How much activity do you do during them? Who is traveling with you? What kind of activities will you be doing in each port?

Also, keep in mind, this is your first cruise. There are lots of activities on board the ship, lots of things to see and do. With so many ports, your time on the ship will be limited, you may not get to enjoy all that cruising and being on a ship has to offer. I know that my first, second and well everytime I go on a cruise, I will read the capers (daily handout of activities and info) and wonder how I am going to do all I want to do.

Just my thoughts. Have a great cruise.

I have not done this with Carnival, but a number of the luxury lines typically do a port every day and often have no sea days at all on a cruise. We did 10 ports in 9 days on a cruise we took this spring and it was very relaxing. They key . . . you don't have to do excursions at every port. Go to the beach, wander in town, spend time on the ship. There is a lot you can do and see with out killing yourself or your wallet. If you dig through my posts you can probably find a review of the spring trip.

Archived