Maxi dresses

Two reasons I bought mine: number one being padding in the bust area. So even though it has spaghetti straps, it has it's own built in support and coverage. Second being the fabric. The chiffon with a lining is very comfortable, and it looks nicer than a bathing suit cover-up, but not over done. Also with the lining, no special undergarments needed. It hangs very nicely.

I think an older woman in good shape could wear the one I have, maybe by wearing a cardigan over it with 3/4" sleeves, or tying a cardigan over the shoulders.

As an older woman whose breasts are barely going south(although I do not have a "good shape" anymore) I would not. As I do not want them going south any more. Wearing clothing without enough support will cause your breasts to sag.

I should know. My mom used to lecture my sisters and I. I listened and almost always wore a bra, my younger sister didn't, she loved to go braless, and before she was 30, her breasts were going south big time. I am now almost 55 and she is ten years younger, and she has lamented for years that she did not listen to Mom.

My older sister, like me, always wore her bras. A few years ago she developed shingles, and because of the pain and discomfort, she would go braless whenever she was at home-before this illness, her breasts were still perky, but after this, she was "going south." She knows it was because of the shingles and going braless.

Those made in bras simply do not give enough support. As far as the strapless bras, you know they are painful, and as we age and our skin gets thinner, they become a torture device, which is why most older women will not wear them,or styles of dresses that require either a strapless bra or going braless.

I have a couple of Maxi dresses that I'm bringing on my next cruise. Didn't spend more than $25 of them (1 from Target and 1 from Old Navy). Very comfy and actually pretty cool.

In terms of the bra, I like a good strapless, but if the dress has spaghetti straps, I'm a big fan of the clear bra straps. They're barely noticeable and give good support. Many times now you can get bras with interchangeable straps to alter based on your outfit.

• 2 weeks later...

They are getting so popular, so I bet there will be tons of them on the summer cruises. I bought two for the cruise I am going on next week, to wear to the non-formal dinners. Mine are polyester and are SO comfortable. And they don't wrinkle much, so they are perfect for traveling. Just hang it up and spray it with some Downy Wrinkle Release (love that stuff!!).

You can find some great deals at Ross, TJMaxx, Marshall's, etc. I ended up getting mine at Kohl's and Dillards, but they are in all kinds of stores.

And I plan to wear flat sandals with them... you can barely see my feet anyway!

I just bought a new maxi dress at Target. It has spaghetti straps, but one of the cute looks is to wear a contrasting colored tank underneath - voila, you can wear your regular bra. I love this look - it just looks summery and tropical.

They are getting so popular, so I bet there will be tons of them on the summer cruises. I bought two for the cruise I am going on next week, to wear to the non-formal dinners. Mine are polyester and are SO comfortable. And they don't wrinkle much, so they are perfect for traveling. Just hang it up and spray it with some Downy Wrinkle Release (love that stuff!!).

You can find some great deals at Ross, TJMaxx, Marshall's, etc. I ended up getting mine at Kohl's and Dillards, but they are in all kinds of stores.

And I plan to wear flat sandals with them... you can barely see my feet anyway!

I'm so excited about my dresses that I have to share these photos. LOL. My in-laws are going on the cruise with us, and since they live in another city, my MIL and I were using our phones to take pictures of dresses we were trying on and sending them to each other. :D

3.jpg.ea334ddbfb72ae2e5825ac39de2f108e.jpg

4.jpg.5a9dc0771b76bc13851a85d86867040a.jpg

I'm so excited about my dresses that I have to share these photos. LOL. My in-laws are going on the cruise with us, and since they live in another city, my MIL and I were using our phones to take pictures of dresses we were trying on and sending them to each other. :D

I love those!!! Where did you get them?

I see a lot of Maxi dresses in the store, but not too many people wearing them in SoCal. When it is really warm, I like to wear a little clothing as legal, so I'm more likely to opt for a short sundress. I can see how a maxi dress might look good for a casual evening; maybe I will get one for the cruise for smart casual nights.

Personally, I find long dresses to be too hot and would rather have a shorter length dress in hot humid weather. Also, if you plan on wearing one on a sea day make sure it has a straight skirt, or you will spend all your time trying to keep it from flying up over your head.

GOOD POINT!!! :eek:

I sort of agree with you, but only in some cases. I, too, look younger than I am. I turn 50 in October. I'm a size 6 and in excellent shape. There is a difference between dressing "youthful" vs. dressing too young, and you simply have to know where to draw the line as to what is still acceptable and looks good on you, and what looks too youngish.;)

Way to go, Beanie! I agree with you 100%!!

As would my wife.

I saw a few people wear bell-bottom pants last week. Are those back in style?

Yes, for about 10 years now.

BobK/Orlando

After reading this thread, I had to look for a maxi dress for my next cruise. Went to TJMaxx and found a really pretty one made by Jones New York...Black with a splash of large, bright flowers at the hem. It looks like it should pack well and not look wrinkled too. As someone else said, I can dress it down with sandals or dress it up with heels. Thanks for the idea!!

Glad you found one! I'm wearing mine on the first night since it should pack easily in the bag I'll be carrying onto the ship. I'm sure my bags will arrive at the cabin at a decent hour, but as I found out on Cruise Critic, occasionally a bag may not show until 8:30! We're doing MTD, but I want to know that I'll have my outfit to wear. I'll start out with heels, but may change to flat silver sandals later.

I bought one at Steinmart to wear on one of our formal nights. It's a silky knit, so it's easy to pack. And it's something different from the 2 short black dresses I'm bringing for the other formal nights. I plan to dress it up with jewelry, heels and a wrap.

I'm in SC - have seen a few people wearing them - not a ton but a friend was in Miami a few weeks ago and said 'everyone' was wearing them. I can't decide whether this is a fad or a trend. The good news is, like capris, most people look good wearing them. The bad news is they were very much in style in the early 70s, so it may not last that long. Remember how ponchos tried to make a comeback a few years ago. That didn't last much past one season.

What are the odds these will still be in style in April? I just picked up a blur floral and a solid black. I'll get great use out of them this summer, but I'd like to bring them along on our April cruise. They are sooo comfy!

Well I went to the store today

I tried on what I thought was a Maxi dress and it did not look so good

It was not soft and flowy, it was clingy and showed every lump and roll.

I may have been mistaken and it might not have been a maxi dress but I wanted to try one on before I ordered online.

Well I went to the store today

I tried on what I thought was a Maxi dress and it did not look so good

It was not soft and flowy, it was clingy and showed every lump and roll.

I may have been mistaken and it might not have been a maxi dress but I wanted to try one on before I ordered online.

You need to try on several before you find the right fabric/fit. I had to try on a few till I found one I really liked. If you get the chiffony kind of fabric with a lining, it doesn't show anything. Mine was $15 in TJ Maxx. Stay away from the stretchy fabrics with no lining!

Do these type of dresses make us bigger gals look bigger?

Without getting into specifics of how you define "bigger", if you're average-height to tall, they would probably look good. However, if you're short (like me), then they'd probably make you look even shorter and wider.

No maxi-dresses for me. And I'm still trying to find the person who came up with the idea that stretchy and clingy spandex tops on plus-size women was a good idea, but that's another story. :D

Archived