Maxi dresses

I just bought a maxi sundress to wear on my cruise. I haven't worn one of those since the early 70's...LOL. For those of you who have been on recent cruise....have you seen people wearing them????? I cruised last summer, but they really weren't too in style then. Now I see lots in stores and I was just at a bridal shower and one of the girls had one on.

I saw a few people wear bell-bottom pants last week. Are those back in style?

I used to love wearing maxi-dresses. I am glad they are coming back. I have seen alot of nice ones.

Well, I'm going to wear mine on the cruise after all!!!!!!! It seems very comfy!!

Definitely wear it! I think they're perfect - they are comfy and at the same time they're pretty and feminine.

I think maybe it's just taken them longer to spread to coldweather areas?

Because I bought this one 2 years ago for Aug 2007 cruise, and also took it on my 2008 cruise to Mexico. Got more compliments than I have on my formal wear! :)

IMG_6079.jpg

I bought one that I just love at TJ Maxx for $15! It's a chiffon fabric with a lining, spaghetti strap. Dark burgandy with a subtle lavendar and black print. Looks great with my black strappy patent high heel sandals, as well as my flat silver sandals. Goes either way! Planning to wear it the first night on my cruise in Oct.

I had no idea what they were or that they were called that. So apparently I bought one this weekend at Steinmart (love that store). It's black and white print with spaghetti straps. I'm hoping to get away with it for one of the formal nights. It's rather elegant yet flowy looking.

I'm seeing tons of them in the stores, so they are definitely in style right now. I think they're very pretty.

Definitely wear it! I think they're perfect - they are comfy and at the same time they're pretty and feminine.

I think maybe it's just taken them longer to spread to coldweather areas?

Because I bought this one 2 years ago for Aug 2007 cruise, and also took it on my 2008 cruise to Mexico. Got more compliments than I have on my formal wear! :)

IMG_6079.jpg

Love the dress!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rule of thumb---if you wore it when it was 1st popular, you should NOT wear it the 2nd time around!!!!

You have a point there and that was actually one of my thoughts, but I have always been into fashion and always kept current with fashion, without getting too trendy with fashion (like leggings with short skirts and things like that). I'll see what others think, too, because that is why I posted this in the first place. The dress looks like other dress styles I would wear, only it's long. By the way, I take a size 8 and people would never guess my age of 53. I am in good physical shape, too. Also, the dress wasn't in the teen or junior department, it was in with the regular ladies dresses.

Rule of thumb---if you wore it when it was 1st popular, you should NOT wear it the 2nd time around!!!!

That's a good rule of thumb, normally ;) But in the case where the clothing items HIDES most of your body, that rule certainly does not apply :)

I sort of agree with you, but only in some cases. I, too, look younger than I am. I turn 50 in October. I'm a size 6 and in excellent shape. There is a difference between dressing "youthful" vs. dressing too young, and you simply have to know where to draw the line as to what is still acceptable and looks good on you, and what looks too youngish.;)

Like anything else in the clothing world, the trend can be adapted to different body styles and different ages.

I think they look great, I see them being worn by all ages from teens to older women. The older women will look better (depending on body style) in maxi dresses with the ability of wearing a bra underneath. I've seen a few women who are thin but older wearing the strapless or spaghetti strap style and have to say, they looked a bit odd, the girls look better a bit north.

Personally, I find long dresses to be too hot and would rather have a shorter length dress in hot humid weather. Also, if you plan on wearing one on a sea day make sure it has a straight skirt, or you will spend all your time trying to keep it from flying up over your head.

I think many of them are so cute and I did wear them the first time around, I'll be very careful in my purchase if I decide to wear one again :)

I saw some maxi-dresses worn on our late April transatlantic cruise, mostly around the ship and during the day; also saw a few at night. I think you'd see more on a warmer-weather cruise.

I like the style, and yes, I was certainly around when they first came out. At 64, if i can find one that with wider straps that will let me wear a bra, and is not teen-looking, I will consider buying one. It all depends on cut and fabric/ornamentation.

HSN had a maxi dress in a style I thought perfect for older women. It is sleeveless, scooped necked, and comes with a matching cardigan. It is a cotton jersey knit. I thought about ordering it, but I read a review that said it looked "cheap," that it was too expensive for what it was. The dress and matching cardigan was $70. I would not expect much to get two pieces for that price, I am wondering if she expected too much, and so I am on the fence about it.

I see plenty of these dresses in sun dress style in Marshall and Ross, but I want to wear a bra, for the reasons KS mentioned. I have also seen some that are sleeveless, but they are rayon, and I say ick to rayon in the summer-too hot! These dresses run from $25 to $50, in those stores. I did not think $70 was bad price to get a style and material that I could wear.

Two reasons I bought mine: number one being padding in the bust area. So even though it has spaghetti straps, it has it's own built in support and coverage. Second being the fabric. The chiffon with a lining is very comfortable, and it looks nicer than a bathing suit cover-up, but not over done. Also with the lining, no special undergarments needed. It hangs very nicely.

I think an older woman in good shape could wear the one I have, maybe by wearing a cardigan over it with 3/4" sleeves, or tying a cardigan over the shoulders.

Archived