Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Okay , i have been looking at tours for Dubrovnik ,both private and through the ship. the private tours seem to be more expensive than the ships. For instance a tour of Montenegro, is 541 usd. Yikes! While we won't be doing that one,can anyone recommend a tour company in the area that is good or should we just stick to the ship one ? Also what about touring the islands ,would we be sorry if we miss the city of Dubrovnik? Could we do Konavle and Dubrovnik in a day? Since this is our first time there we want to make as much of the day as we can.

Okay , i have been looking at tours for Dubrovnik ,both private and through the ship. the private tours seem to be more expensive than the ships. For instance a tour of Montenegro, is 541 usd. Yikes! While we won't be doing that one,can anyone recommend a tour company in the area that is good or should we just stick to the ship one ? Also what about touring the islands ,would we be sorry if we miss the city of Dubrovnik? Could we do Konavle and Dubrovnik in a day? Since this is our first time there we want to make as much of the day as we can.

You should not even try to do a trip to Montenegro in the amount of limited time you're in Dubrovnik. You could visit Konavle and Dubrovnik in one day, if it's not August when traffic can be backed up. There are many historical and cultural sights in the old part of town, more than enough to take the entire day. The closest island to Dubrovnik is Lokrum, a 15 minute ferry ride from the old port. It's a natural preserve and it is where we locals go to swim. There are no beaches, we just jump off the rocky shoreline into the clear blue Adriatic. Spend your time in Dubrovnik, you will not regret this decission.

You should not even try to do a trip to Montenegro in the amount of limited time you're in Dubrovnik. You could visit Konavle and Dubrovnik in one day, if it's not August when traffic can be backed up. There are many historical and cultural sights in the old part of town, more than enough to take the entire day. The closest island to Dubrovnik is Lokrum, a 15 minute ferry ride from the old port. It's a natural preserve and it is where we locals go to swim. There are no beaches, we just jump off the rocky shoreline into the clear blue Adriatic. Spend your time in Dubrovnik, you will not regret this decission.

Okay, thank you for your help, should we skip Konavle and just stay in Dubrovnik? we would also like to see the synagogue too. can you recommend a place to eat in town that isn't going to be over run with cruise ship passengers(like us) LOL . we prefer smaller crowds for tours We do like seafood..

Okay, thank you for your help, should we skip Konavle and just stay in Dubrovnik? we would also like to see the synagogue too. can you recommend a place to eat in town that isn't going to be over run with cruise ship passengers(like us) LOL . we prefer smaller crowds for tours We do like seafood..

As a local resident, as per cruise critic rules I cannot recommend any restaurants in Dubrovnik. You will find many restaurants around the old town and do enjoy our fresh seafood.

The Synagogue is very small, it was part of a house many years ago. East to find, it's located on Jewish Street. There is a also a small museum there which is very interesting and moving.

There's so much to see in the old town, hidden gems are scattered all over town. Get off the main drag and use the side streets and get the town map at the tourist bureau center as you depart the shuttle bus.

As a local resident, as per cruise critic rules I cannot recommend any restaurants in Dubrovnik. You will find many restaurants around the old town and do enjoy our fresh seafood.

The Synagogue is very small, it was part of a house many years ago. East to find, it's located on Jewish Street. There is a also a small museum there which is very interesting and moving.

There's so much to see in the old town, hidden gems are scattered all over town. Get off the main drag and use the side streets and get the town map at the tourist bureau center as you depart the shuttle bus.

Thank you for your help, are you saying there is much to see if we get off the beaten path and go down the side streets? I will definitely try the seafood. the synagogue looked bigger in the picture, but maybe it was the angle of the camera.

We were in Dubrovnik last October. We found a restaurant (don't remember the name of it though) through another cruise critic writer: from the main center area (where the buses unload, by the tourist center), follow the path around the corner/behind the tourist bureau that leads down to the water. When we were there, it seemed we passed some sort of small boat repair area. It shouldn't take more than a 5-8 minute walk, and you'll come across a lovely little restaurant with indoor and outdoor seating overlooking the water and those beautiful rock outcroppings. There is also a jetty that you can walk out on, just for a few additional photo ops (as if the walk on the walls and the city did not present enough of those!).

And Dubrovniklady - I would be remiss not to thank you for all of your input for our trip to your absolutely gorgeous city - I can totally understand your need to be there! We spent a very FULL glorious day there, planning on walking the sea side of the wall and had a need to walk it all, oohing and ahhing with every turn! We spent sooo much time on the walls, took a ride on the cable car, and again spent so much time on the top of the mountain (alot of cats up there), drinking coffee (yum!), relaxing and listening to the music trios in the old city. We seemed to move at a steady pace, but, I'm sorry we missed alot of it, but that only means we will have to return!

So thank you from everyone in our group!

Dear Dubrovniktravelady

We are arriving by Grand Princess (pretty large ship) in Dubrovnik this summer. I am presuming we will be docking in Gruz port. My question is...how far is it from port to Pile Gate...is it 'walkable'...how far would it be...or do we need to resort to transportation?

Many thanks

Nerys

Dear Dubrovniktravelady

We are arriving by Grand Princess (pretty large ship) in Dubrovnik this summer. I am presuming we will be docking in Gruz port. My question is...how far is it from port to Pile Gate...is it 'walkable'...how far would it be...or do we need to resort to transportation?

Many thanks

Nerys

Yes you are correct, Princess is always in the Gruz harbor. You can walk from there to the old town, it will take about an hour mostly uphill. It's not a very interesting walk and no sea view except across from our cemetary. Perhaps you might want to check with Princess and see how much they are charging for their shuttle services into the old town. There will also be taxis waiting in line at the dock if you want fast service.

Hi Dubrovnik Lady! We will be arriving on the Carnival Magic Tuesday, May 3rd. Where will we be docked? I love reading your replies to everyone's questions. You are always so helpful and with such a great attitude, considering how many of us rely on you. If we want to walk the sea-side of the wall, which entrance is best for this? And can you walk into town from any point from the wall or do you have to get to a certain point? Thanks so much! :)

Hi Dubrovnik Lady! We will be arriving on the Carnival Magic Tuesday, May 3rd. Where will we be docked? I love reading your replies to everyone's questions. You are always so helpful and with such a great attitude, considering how many of us rely on you. If we want to walk the sea-side of the wall, which entrance is best for this? And can you walk into town from any point from the wall or do you have to get to a certain point? Thanks so much! :)

Due to the size of Carnival, it is always docked at our Gruz harbor which is about 4 kilometers from the old town. You could walk to the old town, however it is a boring walk going via our business part and it's uphill. I alway recommend taking a ship shuttle bus, it takes about 10 minutes and drops guests at our far western entrance which we call Pile (pil-lay).

The city wall is 2 kilometers long and does have 3 entrances, the best choice would be the main entrance located closest to the Pile Gate entrance into the old town. There are 3 entrances/exits to the wall and you must do 1/2 before you will be able to get back down inside of the walls, which is the old town.

Please download the map I have posted, it will help you to get a better perspective of the area.

Do enjoy our town, I centainly do every day

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

thank you for the map! Also, i pulled up the info about which ship will be in port the same day as us...it looks like one more will be in Dubrovnik, but maybe getting in after we leave.....did i read this correctly?

thank you for the map! Also, i pulled up the info about which ship will be in port the same day as us...it looks like one more will be in Dubrovnik, but maybe getting in after we leave.....did i read this correctly?

Yes, you read correctly the other ship does arrive after Carnival has departed. However, you must understand there could always be more added and some may have not even be listed. These charts were done more than 1 year ago, and things might change.

Hi Magic people. I saw your post as I was searching for hints for Dubrovnik. We are sailing on the same ship! Please come join our roll call for this sailing. We have a very active group, some get togethers planned. A wine crawl, etc. Pop over and say hi and we will see you onboard! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1124771&page=162

We leave for our trip in two weeks and today my husband went to the bank to order some Croatian Kuna. He was told it would take at least 3 weeks so that won't work.

Is there an ATM at the terminal where the ship docks so we could pick up some local currency for our trip into the city? From what I have read, the taxi's will not accept Euros and we not be doing a ship's tour---just wandering on our own.

If there is no ATM there would the currency exchange booths that you see everywhere in Europe have Kuna readily available?

We leave for our trip in two weeks and today my husband went to the bank to order some Croatian Kuna. He was told it would take at least 3 weeks so that won't work.

Is there an ATM at the terminal where the ship docks so we could pick up some local currency for our trip into the city? From what I have read, the taxi's will not accept Euros and we not be doing a ship's tour---just wandering on our own.

If there is no ATM there would the currency exchange booths that you see everywhere in Europe have Kuna readily available?

Surprised to hear that your bank even offers Croatian Kuna. But do not be concerned, we have ATM machines located all over the port and the old town.

You have been missinformed on our taxis, they will indeed accept Euros from the port to the old town. Fares usually run about 10 Euros each direction.

Wait to use the ATM machines inside of the old town, we have many just on the Stradun.

Surprised to hear that your bank even offers Croatian Kuna. But do not be concerned, we have ATM machines located all over the port and the old town.

You have been missinformed on our taxis, they will indeed accept Euros from the port to the old town. Fares usually run about 10 Euros each direction.

Wait to use the ATM machines inside of the old town, we have many just on the Stradun.

Thank you for your help.

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you, Dubrovniktravelady, for all the effort and time you give to us! I've read through this entire thread, and you are very patient in answering the same questions repeatedly!

We are visiting your fair city via Azamara Quest on 9/22, and, in checking another site, our small ship is the only cruise ship shown that day - can we really be so fortunate? If so, I'm sure our ten hours there will be much more pleasurable.

Now that I'm somewhat educated on the city, it's time to try to find a good guide as you've suggested is best. One thing I WON'T miss seeing is the Rupe Museum.

Hvala!

Dubrovniktravelady. Really appreciate all your time and information you give. It is so helpful. We are coming into your beautiful city the beginning of June on royal caribbeans explorer. Do you know where she docks and is it advisable to get the ships shuttle bus or a taxi into the old town.

Many thanks and hopefully sun will be shining in June!

Dubrovniktravelady. Really appreciate all your time and information you give. It is so helpful. We are coming into your beautiful city the beginning of June on royal caribbeans explorer. Do you know where she docks and is it advisable to get the ships shuttle bus or a taxi into the old town.

Many thanks and hopefully sun will be shining in June!

The port authority website does not show the Explorer arrival in Dubrovnik. This only means the ship was added after the site posted. I have mentioned that our site is not always updated. However I can tell you that Royal Caribbean is always at dock in the Gruz harbor and doubt this will change.

I have no knowledge how the ships arrange their shuttle buses into the old town. It would be best that you contact RCCL directly and inquire about their service and fees. There are always taxis waiting at the pier for those who would prefer their service. Cannot be sure of the taxi fare, as I am either walking or taking our local buses.

Enjoy your cruise and your time here.

The port authority website does not show the Explorer arrival in Dubrovnik. This only means the ship was added after the site posted. I have mentioned that our site is not always updated. However I can tell you that Royal Caribbean is always at dock in the Gruz harbor and doubt this will change.

I have no knowledge how the ships arrange their shuttle buses into the old town. It would be best that you contact RCCL directly and inquire about their service and fees. There are always taxis waiting at the pier for those who would prefer their service. Cannot be sure of the taxi fare, as I am either walking or taking our local buses.

Enjoy your cruise and your time here.

Thank you! Really sorry but meant to say it was the Voyager (not Explorer):o:o Thats why its not listed!! Many thanks for your time:)

Thank you! Really sorry but meant to say it was the Voyager (not Explorer):o:o Thats why its not listed!! Many thanks for your time:)

Much better, Voyager is in Dubrovnik on 01 June and 08 June, docked in the Gruz harbor. Shuttle bus will take about 15 minutes and a taxi will be faster. Spend your time in the old town, don't waste your limited time riding the bus...

Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik.

• 4 weeks later...

I´ve read time and again that Buza Bar is expensive.

Does anyone have any prices so that I can make up my mind if we are heading there?

Who can point me to other cafes or bars with nice view in Dubrovnik?

We´ll be there on June 1st.

We´ve done citywall on a previous visit and are just looking into soaking atmosphere, eating icecream and enjoying our vacation...

I´ve read time and again that Buza Bar is expensive.

Does anyone have any prices so that I can make up my mind if we are heading there?

Who can point me to other cafes or bars with nice view in Dubrovnik?

We´ll be there on June 1st.

We´ve done citywall on a previous visit and are just looking into soaking atmosphere, eating icecream and enjoying our vacation...

You may want to ride the cable car to the top of Mt. Srd. That is the best view in town, you can see all of Dubrovnik, the port and outlying islands. They also have a bar and I would imagine their prices will not be on the low end.

Personally I also believe Buza is overpriced for what they serve. Small bottles of wine for the same price as a much larger one purchased in the store, I buy my own and find my perfect park bench. Buza is fun and exciting and a new experience for guests in town. So go and enjoy the view and excitement, it's your holiday. Do remember most places with a sea view are not inexpensive! Just a tip, the best gelato is not found at any of the shops on the main promenade, they are on the side streets.

So much more to do in Dubrovnik than the city walls, I still find new and interesting sights and I've been here 4 years.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Hi Dubrobniktravelady,

Do you know where the Thomson Spirit will be docked? we'll be there on 12th May - cant wait.

Your lucky day! The port authority shows yours is the only ship arriving and Thompson is always at dock in the Gruz harbor. A short taxi ride or the ship shuttle bus will transfer you to the entrance of the old town quickly and easily. Taxi cost 75Kuna or 10 Euros, each way. Have a lovely day here.