Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

One additional question - do you still recommend taking the taxi to the Ploce and starting the wall there, then descending at the Pile entrance? Or should we possibly start at the cable car?

If you begin the wall walk at the Ploce entrance, the hardest part with the largest amount of steps is that side of the wall. You will go down at Pile, missing the sea side of the wall, the very best part of walking the wall. Just think, once you've finished the walk up those 65 steps, you're done with all the hard work. You must decide if you want to walk the entire wall or just half, but do the easy half not the more difficult.

Thank you DUBROVNIKTRAVELADY for all your work and threads just great. Will be on HAL N. Amsterdam on Sept 23, How many ships will be in?

How often does the bus run to the Pile entrance of old town? (HAL does not provide shuttle bus.) Am I correct I see banks at the pier, are there ATM's there?

Thanks again great info.

Bill

Thank you DUBROVNIKTRAVELADY for all your work and threads just great. Will be on HAL N. Amsterdam on Sept 23, How many ships will be in?

How often does the bus run to the Pile entrance of old town? (HAL does not provide shuttle bus.) Am I correct I see banks at the pier, are there ATM's there?

Thanks again great info.

Bill

HAL does not offer a shuttle service into town, I find that difficult to understand. Please contact them again, this time speak with a supervisor and get it in writing they no longer will offer any transfer service from the port to the old town. What, not enough profit for Carnival Corporation????

Your arrival date shows over 10,000 cruise passengers in port. Do not be fooled by cruise line literature, September and October are NOT off season. They are the busiest months this year.

Yes, we have local buses which will take you into town. You must pay in Croatian Kuna, 10 if you pay the driver and only 8 if you buy at the newsstand. There are ATM machines at the Gruz harbor, you may have to walk across the road to most of them. You can take 1A, 1B, 1C or 8 into town, they run fairly often.

You can save yourself the hassle and take one of the many taxis and you'll arrive prior to finding your first ATM machine. Fare is 75 Kuna or 10 Euros, they will take Euros. You have such a limited amount of time, it's a shame to waste it wandering around the harbor.

To ?Dubrovniktravelady ------ Our ship, Oceania's Insignia is due in port on Nov. 10, 2011 from 8am to 3pm. I know we have to tender in but want to know if this will give us enough time to walk the wall and spend a little time in town. Also I read that October is a busy time in Dubrovnik and was wondering if early Nov. is also busy or does the tourism slow down by then? From what I have read on your posts, it seems the best place to start on the wall is near the Pile Gate - is that right? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Dubrovniktravellady, you are a credit to your country being so helpful to all of us with so many questions.

I am really looking forward to our time in Dubrovnik which is just the one day on Saturday 17th September on the Noordam. Will there be many other cruiseships that day?

I am unable to climb 65 steps without a lot of stopping and starting so what do you recommend for us for going on the wall? Which entry would be best to get a taxi to from the port?

Thank you so much in advance for your input and Kia Ora from New Zealand

To find out what other ships will be in any particular port, you can go to www.cruisett.com and click on ports and it will show what other ships will be in port and their potential load count. It may also show the times that the other boats are there.

After checking our port website and your site, I noticed a huge discrepancy. Cruiseitt show 3 ships and we expect 9 ships with a total of over 10,000 cruisers on that particular day. September is usually a very busy time for Dubrovnik with many ships arriving, however it is nothing compared to the arrivals in October. Sorry folks, October is no longer considered shoulder season here.

After checking our port website and your site, I noticed a huge discrepancy. Cruiseitt show 3 ships and we expect 9 ships with a total of over 10,000 cruisers on that particular day. September is usually a very busy time for Dubrovnik with many ships arriving, however it is nothing compared to the arrivals in October. Sorry folks, October is no longer considered shoulder season here.

' Don't know if you saw my post of last night, but I will ask it again. We arrive in Dubrovnik on Nov. 10, 2011 and will be there from 8am-3pm. Will this give us enough time to walk the wall and also spend some time in the old city? I know we have to tender in and this will take away some of our time. Since October is so busy, was wondering if early Nov. is also? Is Pile Gate the best place to start the wall walk if you don't have any walking issues? Any other suggestion are greatly appreciated and many thanks for all your wonderful information.

I noticed that the cable car site lists a round trip fare and a one way fare. If you rode one way, then what are the options for getting down? Taxi? Hike?

Mary

There is a serpentine path to get back down, but it only takes you to the highway. You then need to find your way from that point to the steps to reach the old town. It takes far too much time and effort and you may end up lost in our residential area. Best to use the cable car in both directions.

To ?Dubrovniktravelady ------ Our ship, Oceania's Insignia is due in port on Nov. 10, 2011 from 8am to 3pm. I know we have to tender in but want to know if this will give us enough time to walk the wall and spend a little time in town. Also I read that October is a busy time in Dubrovnik and was wondering if early Nov. is also busy or does the tourism slow down by then? From what I have read on your posts, it seems the best place to start on the wall is near the Pile Gate - is that right? Any other suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you.

Interesting that our port authority does not show any arrivals on 10 November. However it is not uncommon for the site not to be updated with any late arrivals. Since you know the ship is at tender, you will be a few steps from the old town entrance. Weather depending, you will have enough time to walk the wall, just do the sea side and you will spend about one hour up there. If you enter nearest to Pile gate and come down at the Ploce exit, you will have done the easiest half. Remember, only Croatian Kuna is accepted now as payment and fee is 80 Kuna per person. 01 November many of our outdoor restaurants will have closed down for winter hibernation and this is true of some private shops also. The season ends here on 31 October and November is the time when we get our town back again. Best time of the year, if we are not having high winds and or rain. Bring an umbrella and rain gear!

Dubrovniktravellady, you are a credit to your country being so helpful to all of us with so many questions.

I am really looking forward to our time in Dubrovnik which is just the one day on Saturday 17th September on the Noordam. Will there be many other cruiseships that day?

I am unable to climb 65 steps without a lot of stopping and starting so what do you recommend for us for going on the wall? Which entry would be best to get a taxi to from the port?

Thank you so much in advance for your input and Kia Ora from New Zealand

It appears you will win the prize for having the most ships in port on your arrival date in September. Town will be very crowded and the walls will be the busiest with many guests up there. Yes you can enter by another entrance, but this means you will walk the most difficult part of the wall, the land side which is mostly uphill. Many sections with 35 steps, some flat parts and then another 30 or 10 more steps. The most difficult part of getting up is at the Pile gate entrance, 65 steps with one small landing about midway. Once you've made it to the top, it's not that difficult to make the rest of the walk. Just take your time and enjoy the views and make some rest stops along the way.

Most of the taxis drop at the Pile gate entrance, which is the western side of the old town. It's busy and very crowded with groups standing and blocking the walk ways. You will find the Dubrovnik tourist bureau office just near to the large glass monument and from them you can obtain literature and the town map.

If you are not comfortable walking the wall, then I suggest you may want to take the Cabrio bus for a 2 hour drive tour of the town and surrounding areas. A very nice trip and the views are fantastic, it does make 2 photo stops along the route.

We have many lovely historical and cultural sights and walking in the old town does require some steps up and down. If you can find the Rupe Museum, do not miss it!

Interesting that our port authority does not show any arrivals on 10 November. However it is not uncommon for the site not to be updated with any late arrivals. Since you know the ship is at tender, you will be a few steps from the old town entrance. Weather depending, you will have enough time to walk the wall, just do the sea side and you will spend about one hour up there. If you enter nearest to Pile gate and come down at the Ploce exit, you will have done the easiest half. Remember, only Croatian Kuna is accepted now as payment and fee is 80 Kuna per person. 01 November many of our outdoor restaurants will have closed down for winter hibernation and this is true of some private shops also. The season ends here on 31 October and November is the time when we get our town back again. Best time of the year, if we are not having high winds and or rain. Bring an umbrella and rain gear!

Thank you for your help. Originally our ship was going to Split and then it got changed to Dubrovnik (for which I am happy) so maybe the change at port has not been updated yet. Hope you can keep the weather good for us in Nov.

If you are not comfortable walking the wall, then I suggest you may want to take the Cabrio bus for a 2 hour drive tour of the town and surrounding areas. A very nice trip and the views are fantastic, it does make 2 photo stops along the route.

Thanks for this suggestion Dubrovniklady, I think we will do this bus trip when we visit Duborvnik. I don't think our old kness could tak all the stairs on the wall. How much (approximatley) is 90 kuna in US dollars? Is there an ATM near the pick-up place?

Thank you, you are a wealth of knowledge.

Thanks for this suggestion Dubrovniklady, I think we will do this bus trip when we visit Duborvnik. I don't think our old kness could tak all the stairs on the wall. How much (approximatley) is 90 kuna in US dollars? Is there an ATM near the pick-up place?

Thank you, you are a wealth of knowledge.

Right now the exchange rate is 5 Kuna to $1.00. During the summer the dollar normally falls slightly below, but that's close enough. Although there are many pick up points, I do suggest you transfer to the Pile gate entrance. It's the best place to begin and end this tour. I always take the tour every summer, it's a fun way to spend 2 hours.

http://www.libertasdubrovnik.hr/cabriobus.jpg

Right now the exchange rate is 5 Kuna to $1.00. During the summer the dollar normally falls slightly below, but that's close enough. Although there are many pick up points, I do suggest you transfer to the Pile gate entrance. It's the best place to begin and end this tour. I always take the tour every summer, it's a fun way to spend 2 hours.

http://www.libertasdubrovnik.hr/cabriobus.jpg

Thank you! :)

dear dubrovniktravelady:

as i've just discovered this wonderful thread, i haven't had a chance to read through all of it, so please excuse me if i am repeating questions you've already answered. we are arriving on the holland america ryndam at 8am on september 3 and must be back on the ship at 9:30pm. do you have suggestions on what our group of 9 (65+ year-olds) could do on our own for the day, or do you suggest we take a ship's tour? i have heard that you cannot recommend a local guide, but i'm sure we can find one if you think that's the best way to proceed. many of your posts refer to the wall and the old town. is there enough in that area to keep our group busy for most of the day, or do you suggest something else in addition? also, can you find out where our ship will be docked and how many other ships are in town that day?

i don't mean to overwhelm you with giving details of suggested itineraries, but if you could just give us a quick overview of what would be the best use of our 13 hours in your wonderful town, we would really appreciate it.

thanks

bruce

dear dubrovniktravelady:

as i've just discovered this wonderful thread, i haven't had a chance to read through all of it, so please excuse me if i am repeating questions you've already answered. we are arriving on the holland america ryndam at 8am on september 3 and must be back on the ship at 9:30pm. do you have suggestions on what our group of 9 (65+ year-olds) could do on our own for the day, or do you suggest we take a ship's tour? i have heard that you cannot recommend a local guide, but i'm sure we can find one if you think that's the best way to proceed. many of your posts refer to the wall and the old town. is there enough in that area to keep our group busy for most of the day, or do you suggest something else in addition? also, can you find out where our ship will be docked and how many other ships are in town that day?

i don't mean to overwhelm you with giving details of suggested itineraries, but if you could just give us a quick overview of what would be the best use of our 13 hours in your wonderful town, we would really appreciate it.

thanks

bruce

Your arrival day in Dubrovnik will be a very busy day, however Costa does depart at 1400 and that will help take the passenger count down from 10,000 to 7,000. Your ship will be docked at the Gruz harbor. I strongly suggest you inquire with Holland if they will be offering a ship shuttle transfer, for a small fee. Otherwise it means a couple of taxis to take your group into the old town area. Taxi fare is 75 Kuna or 10 Euros, each way. Yes taxis will accept Euros, but it's hit or miss as to which sights and or shops will accept them. Croatian Kuna is the legal currency here and everyone must accept them. ATM machines are plentiful around town, no difficulty finding them.

September is always a very busy month and perhaps you may want to do some research with our tourist bureau website.

Personally I've never had much luck with any ship excursions. This comes from my 35 years of experience as a travel consultant in CA. I retired here only 3 years ago, but have been visiting the Dalmatian coast since 1971. I also have been writing a blog about my experiences and how I view Dubrovnik, as a Croatian/American expat living here.

There are enough historical and cultural sights to visit during your time here. Far too many to list here but you will find valuable information on the tourist bureau website. Please feel free to inquire about any specific cultural sight, I have many favorites. Do download the map, it's 2 pages and will help you get bearings about the harbor and distances to the old town.

This thread began some time back, many things change here very quickly such as fees and or opening hours and money acceptance.

Enjoy your time here, I certainly do every day.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/eng/index.php

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady