Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Thanks Dubrovniktravelady

I do already have the Dubrovnik map printed out for my reference. Would you have a particular recommendation for what order to do the Cabrio bus tour, cable car, walk the seaside part of the wall and then to spend time in the old town? We are in port 0800-1800.

Thanks Dubrovniktravelady

I do already have the Dubrovnik map printed out for my reference. Would you have a particular recommendation for what order to do the Cabrio bus tour, cable car, walk the seaside part of the wall and then to spend time in the old town? We are in port 0800-1800.

Just my mind set, but I would definitely begin with the wall, go down at the Ploce exit and walk uphill to Ploce gate. Pick up Cabrio bus at Ploce bus stop, relax for 2 hours as the bus drives the route, enjoy the views and get off at Pile Brsalje (square).

Spend time in the old town, choose your cultural and historical sites wisely, there are far too many to visit in one short afternoon. Finish your day with the cable car, it is the view from the top of Mt. Srd (surge) which stole my heart so many years ago. Your departure is too early to experience sunset over the town, but someday a return trip will be in the future.

Enjoy your day in Dubrovnik.

Just my mind set, but I would definitely begin with the wall, go down at the Ploce exit and walk uphill to Ploce gate. Pick up Cabrio bus at Ploce bus stop, relax for 2 hours as the bus drives the route, enjoy the views and get off at Pile Brsalje (square).

Spend time in the old town, choose your cultural and historical sites wisely, there are far too many to visit in one short afternoon. Finish your day with the cable car, it is the view from the top of Mt. Srd (surge) which stole my heart so many years ago. Your departure is too early to experience sunset over the town, but someday a return trip will be in the future.

Thank you so much. That sounds like a great itinerary.

I can't thank you enough for this information - we will look at our options but will probably do it alone.

Barbara

Voyager will be docked in the Gruz harbor, about a 15 minute shuttle bus trip to the old town. Check with your cruise line for times and prices. Our local Libertas bus does stop near the port, however you will need Croatian Kuna for the fare, which is 10 Kuna if you buy at the kisok, 12 Kuna paid to driver. I do recommend walking, it will take up far too much of your limited time in town and it's mostly uphill through our business district.

You need to decide how to spend your day, there are many lovely historical sites to visit inside of the city wall. Cavtat is a lovely small town just south of Dubrovnik which I enjoy often. Please try to include the cable car, the views from the top are breathtaking.

There are some folks who enjoy the ship excursions and many others who opt to do their own, it's entirely up to you which is best for your family. You can find many suggestions to our historical sites throughout this thread. Decide which interests you and download the map I've posted to get your bearings.

Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik.

Dubrovniktravelady - you are a true champion, and having reviewed your many responses, i feel as if I am already in your great town

Arrive on Seabourn Odyssey at anchor on 19 October.

My wife has limited mobility, but is adamant that she can, and will, walk the 65 steps at Pile gate to get the seaside of the wall. I have assured her that having done so, the view will be spectaculat, and she can sit down, have a cup of coffee or a beer at the top, and take it all in

We will have a wheelchair with us - will we be able to leave it at the gate as we climb up?

After that experience, we plan the cabrio bus

Any disagreement with the plan?

Can anyone recommend a private guide - we will be passengers on Voyager of the Seas in October - prefer not to do ship tours.

Also is it easy enough to obtain local currency via ATM etc.

we just got back from a med cruise on HAL and can heartily recommend pepo klaic as a tour guide. we booked him through toursbylocals.com (see http://www.toursbylocals.com/TBL/WebObjects/ToursByLocals.woa/1/wa/searchForTour?wosid=gveOw9gw0tAqmTUeIZKHtg). you can customize his tour to your preferences, and the cost for our group of nine was about $65 each for up to 12(!) hours. he showed us some amazing views of dubrovnik from above, took us to cavtat (an absolutely charming resort town down the coast), took us to an amazing restaurant situated on a mill stream, and provided us with a private tour guide for the dubrovnik old town. the price includes pickup and guaranteed on-time delivery back to your ship.

we thoroughly enjoyed being with pepo, who was born and raised in the area so is quite knowledgeable and can answer any questions you might have.

a possible downside for some of you is that they require a deposit up front and then payment in full about 2 weeks before the tour date. the good news is that you pay in dollars through paypal (or other credit cards). don't quote me on this, but i believe paypal has some sort of guarantee on payments made through them. check paypal's site to be sure. also, toursbylocals has a phone number in the usa that you can call to ask questions (866.844.6783).

try to arrange to walk the wall as early as possible in the morning, as there is no shade to be had up there.

atms are pretty much everywhere to obtain kunas, but most local vendors will accept euros. the problem with having kunas (unlike euros) is: what do you do with the excess when you go home? i recommend not getting any until you need them and then only as much as you need.

hope this helps,

bruce

Dubrovniktravelady - you are a true champion, and having reviewed your many responses, i feel as if I am already in your great town

Arrive on Seabourn Odyssey at anchor on 19 October.

My wife has limited mobility, but is adamant that she can, and will, walk the 65 steps at Pile gate to get the seaside of the wall. I have assured her that having done so, the view will be spectaculat, and she can sit down, have a cup of coffee or a beer at the top, and take it all in

We will have a wheelchair with us - will we be able to leave it at the gate as we climb up?

After that experience, we plan the cabrio bus

Any disagreement with the plan?

Perhaps your wife will be able to climb the 65 steps up to the top, but you will not find a beer, coffee or anything else up there until the end of the walk - a nice but overpriced fresh orange juice spot. Make sure you have bottled water with you, a good sun hat and shoes with radial tires on the bottoms.

Here are more details on the wall. Yes the sea side is the least difficult, that being said it is not level by any stretch of the imagination. There is still another area which is uphill, some steps and then a small flat surface which can be daunting for anyone with limited mobility. Once you reach the highest point on that side, it is steps up and down scattered about until you reach the exit at the Maritime. More steps to go down and she will have to wait for you to retrieve the wheelchair. The Maritime exit is exactly the halfway point around and you will again have more steps down to reach the level part of the old town. Please do not attempt to continue beyond this exit, this next part is the beginning of the upward walk and does have the majority of steps.

If this heat we are suffering now continues into October, will it affect his ability to walk? My niece is also in a wheelchair and I understand mobility limitations, she has MS and the heat is a major factor for her walking. Please do understand the wall is not one level, it can be a strenuous walk for many. Once you've begun there is no way down until you reach the half way mark. Grand total of steps on the wall are 1080, now this does include all the entrances and also the steps to reach Minceta tower the highest point but still enough to concern me if her mobility is limited.

Consider the alternative of our cable car, the views from the top of the mountain are so worth the trip to the top of Mt. Srd. You can take a taxi from the port and it will drop you at the entrance and she will be able to use the wheelchair inside of the cabin easily. Once on top, you will encounter some pavements but there are small patches of ground. Getting back down to the Ploce gate and old town area does require you to return via the road with the traffic to avoid further steps. Slowly and carefully it can be done.

Make sure you remember to keep the tires of the chair inflated to the proper pressure of the hard stone pavements. We always have a small hand air pump with us as a precaution.

You will be able to use the chair inside of the old town, there is a good amount of area with no steps and some historical sites may be accessible for her on the ground levels.

Cabrio bus is a fun trip and allows you about 2 hours to rest and view the town and it's surrounding areas in comfort. The audio has English as one of the many languages and is very good. Do be aware the bus does not run our weather becomes wet or during high winds.

Should you have any further questions, please do not hesitate.

Thanks for your reply - comprehensive as usual. Once she has climbed 65 steps, I dont think she contemplates walking much further - if at all. Presumably there will be somewhere to sit once she has achieved this enormous goal. Is there a better option to this?

We will be going on the cable car as you suggest

Thanks for your reply - comprehensive as usual. Once she has climbed 65 steps, I dont think she contemplates walking much further - if at all. Presumably there will be somewhere to sit once she has achieved this enormous goal. Is there a better option to this?

Can you tell me if the steps up to the seaside wall will have a handrail? My husband can do stairs but it is so much easier with a handrail.

Thank you.

The main entrance steps at Pile does have a hand rail, do note that it is also an exit for some. Don't be alarmed if the hand rail is a bit loose in a few points, if I can do it anyone can.

Do I understand you correctly, that she only wants to climb the steps to the top, rest and return below? It seems a shame to buy a ticket for such a short visit to the top and while the view is good, it is a bit further that it is spectacular. The main entrance at Pile can be crowded on some days, so getting up to the top might be more difficult than she believes. Yes there is a small stone platform where she can rest, it is where I stop to catch my breath also. As for other options, it's the cable car and Cabrio bus trip for the spectacular views.

Your arrival date does show an approximate total cruise passenger count of 5,000 plus. Perhaps it might be best that she decide if she can do it once she is here and can view the entrance and the amount of other guests.

DBL - many thanks for your assistance. We will do as you suggest. Cant wait - only a month!

Weather predictions for next week are for cooler temperatures and some rain showers. Be prepared for sunny and hot, or cool and wet. Keep checking closer to your departure from Sydney, one of my favorite towns in the land of Oz.

Dobrodosli Dubrovnik.

Dubrovniktravelady, Have done a lot of planning with your presentation of facts about your lovely city. I may have missed it but is the Cabrio bus still running on Oct. 28. If so, we can pick it up at the Pile Gate. I'll google the timetable for arr. times. That 2 hour relaxing tour seems great. We want to do the cable car and this tour. HAL ship is only in town for a much shorter time than we'd like but c'est la vie! Thanks.

Dubrovniktravelady, Have done a lot of planning with your presentation of facts about your lovely city. I may have missed it but is the Cabrio bus still running on Oct. 28. If so, we can pick it up at the Pile Gate. I'll google the timetable for arr. times. That 2 hour relaxing tour seems great. We want to do the cable car and this tour. HAL ship is only in town for a much shorter time than we'd like but c'est la vie! Thanks.

Cabrio bus normally runs until 01 November, weather depending. You will have your answer only on your arrival date. The town is overdue for rain and it is predicted in the next few days, with temperatures finally going down slightly.

Last week I was told by Libertas the Carbrio bus is now only running until the last departure at 2:30pm daily, I will recheck again if that has changed again later this month.

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik

We will be there on Nov. 5th, only from 12:00 till 7:00. Wanted to do the Cabrio bus, so if it isn't running what about a local guide for a few hours?

So sorry but as a local resident I am unable to recommend any guides/services as per rules of cruise critic.

Normally Cabrio bus stops running any poor weather days in October, last trip is 31 October.

Dobrodolsi u Dubrovnik

So sorry but as a local resident I am unable to recommend any guides/services as per rules of cruise critic.

Normally Cabrio bus stops running any poor weather days in October, last trip is 31 October.

Dobrodolsi u Dubrovnik

Sorry, I knew that, what I meant to say is that I am going to use toursbylocals. I really like what they offer.

Thank you

Just thought it might be worth posting here that we were on the cabrio bus last week and it was excellent.

The commentary is very detailed and the tour around the area comprehensive. It amazes us, however, that it still seems to be one of Dubrovnik's best-kept secrets and the bus was only about one third full despite 6 cruises being in town that day.

Also I was using crutches and a wheelchair following an accident and coped well with it.

Finally although we took kuna with us, everybody else on the bus paid in euros, at a good exchange rate which we didn't think you could do

p.s. sorry about the spelling of cabrio in the title!

Edited by tartanexile81

Just thought it might be worth posting here that we were on the cabrio bus last week and it was excellent.

The commentary is very detailed and the tour around the area comprehensive. It amazes us, however, that it still seems to be one of Dubrovnik's best-kept secrets and the bus was only about one third full despite 6 cruises being in town that day.

Also I was using crutches and a wheelchair following an accident and coped well with it.

Finally although we took kuna with us, everybody else on the bus paid in euros, at a good exchange rate which we didn't think you could do

p.s. sorry about the spelling of cabrio in the title!

It doesn't seem to get mentioned in guidebooks. What time did you do the bus & when would you recommend? We want to do the cabriobus, walk the walls, self-guided audio tour through the town & cable car & not sure at the moment how to plan it. We are there 8am-11pm so may do cable car at sunset as suggested earlier in this thread but not sure whether to do cabriobus first to get an overview or Walls first before it gets too busy & hot.

Dubrovniktravelady, we will be in Dubrovnik Oct.30, on Queen Victoria. I believe she will be docked in the Port of Gruz. Does the Cabrio Bus run from this port? Does it bring you to the Pile Gate?When they say " Stari Grad" is that an entrance to the old town or is that the name of the old town? Will the Cabrio bus run back to port? If so, should we buy a return ticket? I'm afraid I might be sounding too silly with these questions but will risk it anyway( you are usually so understanding!) Thank You.:)

Dubrovniktravelady, we will be in Dubrovnik Oct.30, on Queen Victoria. I believe she will be docked in the Port of Gruz. Does the Cabrio Bus run from this port? Does it bring you to the Pile Gate?When they say " Stari Grad" is that an entrance to the old town or is that the name of the old town? Will the Cabrio bus run back to port? If so, should we buy a return ticket? I'm afraid I might be sounding too silly with these questions but will risk it anyway( you are usually so understanding!) Thank You.:)

Let's start with the easy one first. Stari Grad means "old town" so it is the entire old part of Dubrovnik located within the city wall. Also FIY, there is no new town, everything else besides the old town is just Dubrovnik.

Yes Queen Victoria is a dock in the Gruz, berth 11 from 0800 to 1600. The Cabrio bus normally does run via the Gruz area, weather depending. You need only purchase one ticket, 90 Kuna per person and you can ride the bus round trip back to the harbor. The main bus terminal is very close to the docks, the bus begins at that point.

We have three separate entrances into the old town, one is the "vrata od Pile" which means door of the Pile, located at the western side of the old town. The other is "Varta od Ploce" which is door of Ploce, located at the eastern side of town. And the last, which I do not recommend because of the many steps, is called "Buza gate, our northern entrance. This north entrance is not to be confused with Buza Bars, which are 2 bars located on the outside of the wall on the sea side. Buza means hole, that is how the gate and bar were named because they are located at a hole in the wall.

Please remember there is no such thing as a stupid question, if you don't know something always ask!

Dobrodosli u Dubrovnik