Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Dubrovniktravelady, could you recommend a nice little place for lunch in the old town where we can leave our grandma as we walk the walls?

thanks in advance

I am so sorry but I am not permitted to recommend any specific restaurant by the rules of cruise critic since I am a local resident. You just want to find a lovely outdoor cafe where she can find some sun and shade and let her sit with a cold drink or she choice of beverage.

Are you planning on doing the entire circuit or just the sea side? If so, something down near Sveti Vlaho (Saint Blaise) Church might be the best area for her. You may want to troll on the boards to find any past restaurant recommendations by previous cruisers, there are many. I notice you are arriving in early June, might be wise to put her in a cafe with both indoor and outdoor seating, just in case we have a less than pleasant day with some of our summer winds.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

Thank you so much for all the wonderful information that you have shared on this forum.:):):)

Quick question - How much can we expect to pay for a taxi to take us from the port to the entrance of the Cable Car? Also, how many passengers will a taxi accommodate?

Carolyn

Hi Dubrovniktravelady,

Thank you so much for all the wonderful information that you have shared on this forum.:):):)

Quick question - How much can we expect to pay for a taxi to take us from the port to the entrance of the Cable Car? Also, how many passengers will a taxi accommodate?

Carolyn

I have never done a taxi ride from the port to the cable car, but I do know the fare is 10 Euros to the Pile gate entrance. However because of our many one way roads, it is a bit further above the old town, I would expect the fare to be about 15 Euros. The majority of our taxis are normal European 4 door cars, not much in the way of mini vans. How many adults traveling in your party?

I have never done a taxi ride from the port to the cable car, but I do know the fare is 10 Euros to the Pile gate entrance. However because of our many one way roads, it is a bit further above the old town, I would expect the fare to be about 15 Euros. The majority of our taxis are normal European 4 door cars, not much in the way of mini vans. How many adults traveling in your party?

My husband and I are planning to share a taxi with another couple, if that is possible. Is it preferable to pay the driver in Kuna?

Carolyn

My husband and I are planning to share a taxi with another couple, if that is possible. Is it preferable to pay the driver in Kuna?

Carolyn

Update to the Dubrovniktravelady,

Are there larger vehicles for hire at the cruise port to take us to the Cable Car, which may carry 6 adults?

Carolyn

Update to the Dubrovniktravelady,

Are there larger vehicles for hire at the cruise port to take us to the Cable Car, which may carry 6 adults?

Carolyn

Usually not sitting at the dock waiting, you may want to make those arrangements prior to arrival. Also do check with your cruise line to see if they are offering shuttle services to the old town, it will be much less expensive than hiring a mini van. And of course you can take 2 taxis, that would also work.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

I am so sorry but I am not permitted to recommend any specific restaurant by the rules of cruise critic since I am a local resident. You just want to find a lovely outdoor cafe where she can find some sun and shade and let her sit with a cold drink or she choice of beverage.

Are you planning on doing the entire circuit or just the sea side? If so, something down near Sveti Vlaho (Saint Blaise) Church might be the best area for her. You may want to troll on the boards to find any past restaurant recommendations by previous cruisers, there are many. I notice you are arriving in early June, might be wise to put her in a cafe with both indoor and outdoor seating, just in case we have a less than pleasant day with some of our summer winds.

thank you so much for the help!!

Dubrovniktravelady, you should be called a national treasure by the government. I can not find the Noordam on September 17. Could you please tell me where the ship will dock and how many other ships will be on port? I have been on the port site, but can not seem to scroll down to the correct date. Thank you so much.

Dubrovniktravelady, you should be called a national treasure by the government. I can not find the Noordam on September 17. Could you please tell me where the ship will dock and how many other ships will be on port? I have been on the port site, but can not seem to scroll down to the correct date. Thank you so much.

Thank you, it always makes me feel good when I receive a compliment. Your date is good, only 3 other ships in port, only about 3600 guests. However it is important that you do check again closer to your departure date, the count could increase. Noordam will be docked in the Gruz harbor, only a 10 minute taxi ride or 15 minute shuttle bus transfer to the entrance of the old town.

Dubrovniklady - We will be arriving in Dubrovnik at noon on April 24 on the Oceania Marina. We would like to walk the wall, do the cable car, and maybe watch the sunset from a nice restaurant. Our ship does not depart until 11PM. Should we do the wall first or the cable car first, what other things should we not miss, and where will our ship dock? Thank you for helping all of us out with all of your great information.

Dubrovniklady - We will be arriving in Dubrovnik at noon on April 24 on the Oceania Marina. We would like to walk the wall, do the cable car, and maybe watch the sunset from a nice restaurant. Our ship does not depart until 11PM. Should we do the wall first or the cable car first, what other things should we not miss, and where will our ship dock? Thank you for helping all of us out with all of your great information.

Visit the Franciscan monastery with the second oldest still working pharmacy in Europe. Walk the sea side of the wall, exit at the Maritime Museum, then proceed to the Rupe Museum, back down to the main promenade. I would not miss display of the green men at Rectors Palace and the war memorial at Sponza Palace. The finale must be the cable car and watch the sunset from the top of Mt. Srd. All this should be weather depending! Unfortunately April can be one of our more rainy months.

Dubrovniktravelady,

Could you recommend some good restaurants ( with sidewalk seating ) that have more " Americanized" food as well as local cruisine?

I am sorry to admit that I am the most picky eater..no seafood, no shellfish, no organ meats,I don't care for lamb, most fowl etc ..I am mostly a beef eater..

However, I love eating locally and supporting the places I visit so it can make it a bit of a challenge ( especially traveling with my mother who will eat anything ).

I would like to keep her happy, too.

By the way,

Thank you so much for all of your postings here..you should be a awarded an Oscar for the category "most helpful and patient poster on CC"

Denise

Dubrovniktravelady,

Could you recommend some good restaurants ( with sidewalk seating ) that have more " Americanized" food as well as local cruisine?

I am sorry to admit that I am the most picky eater..no seafood, no shellfish, no organ meats,I don't care for lamb, most fowl etc ..I am mostly a beef eater..

However, I love eating locally and supporting the places I visit so it can make it a bit of a challenge ( especially traveling with my mother who will eat anything ).

By the way,

Thank you so much for all of your postings here..you should be a awarded an Oscar for the category "most helpful and patient poster on CC"

Denise

Thank you for the lovely compliment, I always wanted an Oscar. Unfortunately since I am a local resident the rules of cruise critic do not allow me to recommend any particular restaurant. That being said, if you are a beef eater then I suggest you try a dish called "Civapcici" which is served at most of our restaurant. You will always find the best choices for food to be off the main promenade, usually on any of the small side alleys.

The only Americanized food here is pizza and I cannot comment on it since I am too busy eating all the seafood you left for me. Thanks, I can't get enough of it. You will do fine, Denise, do not be concerned and just try the Civapcici, it is fantastic!

Hello: We are scheduled to be in Dubrovnik from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. on August 27. We're on the Seabourn Spirit. Can you tell me how busy the city will be on that day? Our ship is advertising a 6-hour tour that includes a drive to the Pile Gate, walking from there to various places including the 16th century monasteries and the city walls, and lunch at the Revelin Club. Is that a pretty typical tour, or are there things I will be missing? Thanks.

Hello: We are scheduled to be in Dubrovnik from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. on August 27. We're on the Seabourn Spirit. Can you tell me how busy the city will be on that day? Our ship is advertising a 6-hour tour that includes a drive to the Pile Gate, walking from there to various places including the 16th century monasteries and the city walls, and lunch at the Revelin Club. Is that a pretty typical tour, or are there things I will be missing? Thanks.

After checking the port authority website, I have found the Spirit will be here on 28 August, at anchor in the old port just steps away from the old historical part of Dubrovnik. A transfer to Pile gate does not make sense since you will already be inside of the town. I also glanced at the shore excursions Seaborn is offering, some are rather nice but cannot locate anything as you have described. You must keep in mind, often with any tour whether it is private or a ship tour, do they only walk past the historical sites or do you visit the actual museum.

Thus far our port authority website shows a small amount of cruisers in town, about 4,000 but do remember that the European land guests will be here also. August is one of our busiest months. It is also important that you recheck the date much closer to your arrival, arriving ships are often added at a later date.

Hope this helps answer your questions.

Dubrovniktravelady,

By the way,

Denise

Hello, PLeskavica the original hamburger with Lepinja buns are available in Dub, the juicy lucy stuffed with feta has a cult following in America.This link is for a Bosnian Restaurant in Texas so you can check out some of the typical Yugoslavian dishes.

PS the Kaymak is a cheats method.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pCrH-Q8vNJs

I have finally managed to get through the entire thread and all I can say is wow, what amazing info! As I read I cut and paste things into a document that will travel with us and ended up with nine pages of great notes - everything from that very useful two page map to currency info, sights, taxi info, the 2 hour bus, and on the list goes. I feel so much better prepared to make the most of our one day visit (on the new Oceania ship Riviera docking at Gurz berth 10 on Friday Aug 10).

Many others have said it, but I am so impressed with DubrovnikTravelLady. Thank you so much for your insightful posts and your terrific blog. Your patience in answering the same questions so many times absolutely amazes me. But what was more impressive was the way you have stimulated my interest in your city. I had no idea what to expect and now I can hardly wait to get there - I suspect this will be one of the real highlights of our trip.

While so many of my questions have been answered, I have a some more to ask:

1. I love to cook and one of the things I enjoy is strolling through local markets and supermarkets. Seeing the types of food, the presentation, etc. give me a better feel for the places I visit. I saw some info on the 2 green markets (one at the port and the other inside Old Town) but I'm wondering if they are still the places to visit as that info was posted a while back. And I'm wondering, are any grocery stores in the Old Town or close by?

2. I'm also wondering if there are any foods that are typical of the region that I should try to find to take home with me. For example, in Argentina I brought home jars of Dulce de Leche and their famous Alfajores cookies. Is there something that will be a good reminder of Crotia that will travel okay?

I think that we will try to find Komarda and have lunch there as it looks great. That was a great link to come across.

I'll continue to follow this thread and read the Essence of Dubrovnik blog with great pleasure. I'm so glad your morning coffee includes all of the generous information you share!!

I have finally managed to get through the entire thread and all I can say is wow, what amazing info! As I read I cut and paste things into a document that will travel with us and ended up with nine pages of great notes - everything from that very useful two page map to currency info, sights, taxi info, the 2 hour bus, and on the list goes. I feel so much better prepared to make the most of our one day visit (on the new Oceania ship Riviera docking at Gurz berth 10 on Friday Aug 10).

Many others have said it, but I am so impressed with DubrovnikTravelLady. Thank you so much for your insightful posts and your terrific blog. Your patience in answering the same questions so many times absolutely amazes me. But what was more impressive was the way you have stimulated my interest in your city. I had no idea what to expect and now I can hardly wait to get there - I suspect this will be one of the real highlights of our trip.

1. I love to cook and one of the things I enjoy is strolling through local markets and supermarkets. Seeing the types of food, the presentation, etc. give me a better feel for the places I visit. I saw some info on the 2 green markets (one at the port and the other inside Old Town) but I'm wondering if they are still the places to visit as that info was posted a while back. And I'm wondering, are any grocery stores in the Old Town or close by?

2. I'm also wondering if there are any foods that are typical of the region that I should try to find to take home with me. For example, in Argentina I brought home jars of Dulce de Leche and their famous Alfajores cookies. Is there something that will be a good reminder of Crotia that will travel okay?

I think that we will try to find Komarda and have lunch there as it looks great. That was a great link to come across.

I'll continue to follow this thread and read the Essence of Dubrovnik blog with great pleasure. I'm so glad your morning coffee includes all of the generous information you share!!

Thank you for your compliment, it makes me feel good as I sip my morning coffee. Please do keep in mind this thread began some time ago and admission fees have probably changed. I have read in our local newspaper it is possible our sites will increase entrance fees this season, but have yet to find out when and how much.

The green market down at the Gruz is larger than the one in old town, best times are very early morning on Friday and Saturday, an easy stroll from the Gruz docks.

One of my favorite local treats are the sun dried figs, sweet, soft and yummy. Also the sugar coated almonds and they will both travel nicely. Homemade honey, clean and without sugar. Did you know that many commercial manufacturers add sugar to honey? Ugh!

Speaking of coffee, time for my second and final cup of the morning. Enjoy your time, there is so much to see here and it cannot be done in one day. I am still finding hidden treasures after 4 years and some I will not share.

Carnevale, would you conside sharing the document that you've compiled? I realize it will be a long post, but I've seen it done on other threads and then we could all benefit from all the information that's here. Or possibly email it to me if you'd rather not post it?

I believe that I read that Croatia will be joining the EU on July 1st.

Does anyone think that by June Euros will be accepted in more places?

Thanks! :)

Croatia will be joining the EU in July 2013. Croatian Kuna is still the legal currency of the country and everyone must accept it. Euros will be hit or miss, some private restaurants and shops may take it but the exchange rate will not be favorable to you.

Croatia will be joining the EU in July 2013. Croatian Kuna is still the legal currency of the country and everyone must accept it. Euros will be hit or miss, some private restaurants and shops may take it but the exchange rate will not be favorable to you.

Oh, thanks so much! I got my years mixed up! :rolleyes:

Hi,

We are arriving in Dubrovnik onboard P&O Arcadia on 20th May 2012 and assume we will dock at Gruz Harbour. As my wife and I are keen walkers is it a pleasant walk to the Old town from the port and roughly how long will this take for a couple of reasonably fit mid 50 year olds? Should we take any shuttle or local bus instead?

Is Fort Lovrijenac worth a visit?

Is Gradac also worth a visit?

Cheers