Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Has anyone experienced local currency problems in Dubrovnik. I will be travelling with euros and wondered if they can be used in Dubrovnik. I understand there are currency exchange places at the port but only intend to have change for walking the wall. Can I use euros for that?

Hi, I understand from reading, that you must have Kunas for the wall(70) and the cable car is 50 plus 80 for the return ride.(ALL KUNAS) I think taxi rides can be euros.

Hi, I understand from reading, that you must have Kunas for the wall(70) and the cable car is 50 plus 80 for the return ride.(ALL KUNAS) I think taxi rides can be euros.

The cable car fee is 50 Kuna one way, 80 Kuna round trip. The city wall is 70 Kuna and you can use a credit card at both sites. Croatian Kuna is the legal currency of the country, and you will find that using Euros here is hit or miss. Yes taxi drivers will accept Euros and you will not get the best exchange rate when using them. We have many ATM machines located all around the town, it is the best way of obtaining Kunas.

The cable car fee is 50 Kuna one way, 80 Kuna round trip. The city wall is 70 Kuna and you can use a credit card at both sites. Croatian Kuna is the legal currency of the country, and you will find that using Euros here is hit or miss. Yes taxi drivers will accept Euros and you will not get the best exchange rate when using them. We have many ATM machines located all around the town, it is the best way of obtaining Kunas.

Thanks so much for replying and clarifying the cable car cost..What is your thought on doing the cable car ? Is it worth it, I'm getting mixed reviews? And what about the Free ferry ride? Is this true and worth it?

Hello!

We would like to take a boat over to Lokrum island. Can you tell me if there is an ATM located between where we will tender in from our ship (Old Town?) and where we will find a boat to go over to Lokrum?

Thank you for all of your helpful information!

Hello!

We would like to take a boat over to Lokrum island. Can you tell me if there is an ATM located between where we will tender in from our ship (Old Town?) and where we will find a boat to go over to Lokrum?

Thank you for all of your helpful information!

Can you confirm your ship and arrival date in Dubrovnik, as I only find the Noordam at dock in our Gruz harbor.

If you are at tender in the old port, the departure for the ferry to Lokrum is the same as the tender arrivals. No there is not an ATM machine at the old port, you will need to walk into the old town and there will be a bank on the right hand side just after you go under the arch.

Can you confirm your ship and arrival date in Dubrovnik, as I only find the Noordam at dock in our Gruz harbor.

If you are at tender in the old port, the departure for the ferry to Lokrum is the same as the tender arrivals. No there is not an ATM machine at the old port, you will need to walk into the old town and there will be a bank on the right hand side just after you go under the arch.

We will be in Dubrovnik on Sunday 7 October, 2012. The chart doesn't show us at a berth it just says Old Town. Of course there's always a chance I'm reading the chart wrong! :p

We will be in Dubrovnik on Sunday 7 October, 2012. The chart doesn't show us at a berth it just says Old Town. Of course there's always a chance I'm reading the chart wrong! :p

Yes indeed the port authority site does show Noordam at anchor in the old town for 07 October. The old port is steps away from the main part of the old town and you will need to get Croatian Kuna for the Lokrum ferry. The ATM machines here will allow you to obtain as little as 100 to 2,000 Kuna in one shot. It is to your advantage to use Kuna although some shops or restaurants will accept Euros, but exchange rate will not be good.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Yes indeed the port authority site does show Noordam at anchor in the old town for 07 October. The old port is steps away from the main part of the old town and you will need to get Croatian Kuna for the Lokrum ferry. The ATM machines here will allow you to obtain as little as 100 to 2,000 Kuna in one shot. It is to your advantage to use Kuna although some shops or restaurants will accept Euros, but exchange rate will not be good.

Thank you for the information. I like to collect currency from the places we have visited so we will definitely be getting Kuna while we are there.

Do you know about how much the ferry to Lokrum would be? We'll have to keep our fingers crossed for the weather to be pleasant and the ferry still running!

The taxis line up at the dock, as a group takes the first one in line the next car moves forward. Sorry but you have no chance to figure out who is who, they will all tell you they are Croatian. And again my own personal opinion of this panorama tour is that it is a total waste of money.

Hi Durovniktravellady. We will be travelling in July with two young children (age 3 and 5 yrs). We had planned on taking the panoramic taxi tour in the morning and then leaving the children with granny and doing the wall walk on the sea view side in the afternoon.

In light of what you've mentioned, would it be better to rather go on the cable car than do the taxi ride?

Thank you for the information. I like to collect currency from the places we have visited so we will definitely be getting Kuna while we are there.

Do you know about how much the ferry to Lokrum would be? We'll have to keep our fingers crossed for the weather to be pleasant and the ferry still running!

Last summer the round trip fare was something close to 60 Kuna per person. It may be the same this year, but we have not seen the boats and signs out yet. As so many things these days, fee seem to rise...but I have noticed that salaries are not.

Hi Durovniktravellady. We will be travelling in July with two young children (age 3 and 5 yrs). We had planned on taking the panoramic taxi tour in the morning and then leaving the children with granny and doing the wall walk on the sea view side in the afternoon.

In light of what you've mentioned, would it be better to rather go on the cable car than do the taxi ride?

My own personal feelings are that the cable car ride is far superior to that of a taxi and driver rambling on telling guests "stories." As I have mentioned prior, many drivers are not Croatian let alone raised in Dubrovnik. Seems a large sum of money for a taxi ride, again my very own personal opinion.

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Last summer the round trip fare was something close to 60 Kuna per person. It may be the same this year, but we have not seen the boats and signs out yet. As so many things these days, fee seem to rise...but I have noticed that salaries are not.

That seems quite reasonable even if fares are raised for this season.

I was looking at a map of the island and have a couple questions I was hoping you could help me with.

It looks like there are roads or paths running through the island. I was hoping we would be able to walk for site to site but I'm having trouble finding a map with a scale to judge distances. Could you give me a rough estimate of how far it is from one end of the island to the other?

Also, if the ferry is running will the restaurant likely be open? Or are they strictly seasonal?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Carol

Edited by Sea42

The taxis line up at the dock, as a group takes the first one in line the next car moves forward. Sorry but you have no chance to figure out who is who, they will all tell you they are Croatian. And again my own personal opinion of this panorama tour is that it is a total waste of money.

Thanks for the advise.

That seems quite reasonable even if fares are raised for this season.

I was looking at a map of the island and have a couple questions I was hoping you could help me with.

It looks like there are roads or paths running through the island. I was hoping we would be able to walk for site to site but I'm having trouble finding a map with a scale to judge distances. Could you give me a rough estimate of how far it is from one end of the island to the other?

Also, if the ferry is running will the restaurant likely be open? Or are they strictly seasonal?

Thanks again for all of your help!

Carol

Lokrom has some lovely paths to wander, you can spend many hours there or just a few. Because of a knee injury I have not yet made the trip around the island, but only swim in the sea water natural pool with the small children, which we call "dead water."

Please I strongly advise packing a picnic lunch, do not waste money at the restaurant! You can buy some seasonal fruit and have the local "Konzum" store make you a sandwich and bring your own bottle of water. Or better yet, have lunch at one of our sea side restaurants and then take the ferry across, it is about a 15 minute ride.

I hope to have my knee in better shape this season and will be posting my Lokrum story on my blog later this summer.

My own personal feelings are that the cable car ride is far superior to that of a taxi and driver rambling on telling guests "stories." As I have mentioned prior, many drivers are not Croatian let alone raised in Dubrovnik. Seems a large sum of money for a taxi ride, again my very own personal opinion.

Thank-you! Appreciate your help.

We took the children up Table Mountain (here in South Africa) last year and they really enjoyed it. So I'm sure they will love it if we go in Dubrovnik.

Edited by Mercury

Lokrom has some lovely paths to wander, you can spend many hours there or just a few. Because of a knee injury I have not yet made the trip around the island, but only swim in the sea water natural pool with the small children, which we call "dead water."

Please I strongly advise packing a picnic lunch, do not waste money at the restaurant! You can buy some seasonal fruit and have the local "Konzum" store make you a sandwich and bring your own bottle of water. Or better yet, have lunch at one of our sea side restaurants and then take the ferry across, it is about a 15 minute ride.

I hope to have my knee in better shape this season and will be posting my Lokrum story on my blog later this summer.

I think we'll go with the picnic option. Due to the large number of passengers in port that day we thought we'd stay out of town until mid afternoon. The hope being that the crowds will lessen as a couple of the ships leave earlier than we do. Or am I being overly concerned? The port website shows a little over 10,000 people due in port and I was thinking that's a huge number of people.

I wish you the best of luck with your knee!

Edited by Sea42

Dubrovniktravellady - we are thinking of changing our early July cruise to 20 Sep. If you had to make this decision, which month would you choose to go to Dubrovnik and the Adriatic? I know there are pros and cons to both months but I also think that as a local, you may have more of a "gut feel" about which month you would choose.

Appreciate any thoughts!

Dubrovniktravellady - we are thinking of changing our early July cruise to 20 Sep. If you had to make this decision, which month would you choose to go to Dubrovnik and the Adriatic? I know there are pros and cons to both months but I also think that as a local, you may have more of a "gut feel" about which month you would choose.

Appreciate any thoughts!

September would be my first choice, as many of the European land guests will be gone. Dubrovnik will still be busy but much better is September than July. No doubt in my mind at all on this question.

DubrovnikTravelLady - Is your blog Essence of Dubrovnik by any chance?

Yes, I write about the spirit of Dubrovnik and I need to jump back in and write more about so many sites I have not yet covered. It is a labor of love and will give you an insight into some of our many historical and cultural sites.

I think we'll go with the picnic option. Due to the large number of passengers in port that day we thought we'd stay out of town until mid afternoon. The hope being that the crowds will lessen as a couple of the ships leave earlier than we do. Or am I being overly concerned? The port website shows a little over 10,000 people due in port and I was thinking that's a huge number of people.

I wish you the best of luck with your knee!

No, you are not being overly concerned, it is difficult to get around the old town with so many guests in the old town. Smart move to spend the early part of the day on Lokrum, come back to the old town when some of the early arrival ships have departed.

September would be my first choice, as many of the European land guests will be gone. Dubrovnik will still be busy but much better is September than July. No doubt in my mind at all on this question.

Thanks - appreciate your input!

Yes, I write about the spirit of Dubrovnik and I need to jump back in and write more about so many sites I have not yet covered. It is a labor of love and will give you an insight into some of our many historical and cultural sites.

Well I have enjoyed it very much!

I would really like to try and find Gradska Kavana to enjoy their Krempita. It sounds delicious!

Well I have enjoyed it very much!

I would really like to try and find Gradska Kavana to enjoy their Krempita. It sounds delicious!

You cannot miss Gradska Kavana, it located at the end of the Stradun next to Sveti Vlaho (Saint Blaise) church, big sign, large outdoor terrace with seating. However it can be hit or miss, once they are sold out they do not make a new batch. Just one of our many delicious sweets.

You cannot miss Gradska Kavana, it located at the end of the Stradun next to Sveti Vlaho (Saint Blaise) church, big sign, large outdoor terrace with seating. However it can be hit or miss, once they are sold out they do not make a new batch. Just one of our many delicious sweets.

OK then we'll just keep it our little secret so it doesn't sell out before I can get there ;)