Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Dubrovniktravellady, back in 1996, then US Commerce Secretary Ron Brown and 35 others on a trade mission perished in a plane crash on approach to Dubrovnik. A memorial consisting of a large steel cross was placed at the site of the crash on St. John's (Sveti Ivan) mountain. Is it difficult to reach this memorial or can it at least be seen from a distance somewhere Dubrovnik? Not your usual question but it has personal meaning to me. Thanks! Rob

There is a small memorial in Dubrovnik to Ronald Brown, located close to the front entrance of our Cathedral also, try not to miss it. The actual crash site is located much closer to Cavtat which is a 20 minute drive south of Dubrovnik. You would need to hire a taxi to drive you the entire distance as the actual memorial is rather high up the mountain. I would guess that it is about a 30 minute drive and you should negotiate the round trip fare with the driver. A very rough estimate is between 300 to 400 Kuna for the trip. If you have time, let me find out from one of my taxi driver friends, I will post it later. Hmm, you have just given me an new subject for my blog.

Thank you for asking about this, regardless of anyone's political preferences, the loss of American lives that day was a huge tragedy.

There is a small memorial in Dubrovnik to Ronald Brown, located close to the front entrance of our Cathedral also, try not to miss it. The actual crash site is located much closer to Cavtat which is a 20 minute drive south of Dubrovnik. You would need to hire a taxi to drive you the entire distance as the actual memorial is rather high up the mountain. I would guess that it is about a 30 minute drive and you should negotiate the round trip fare with the driver. A very rough estimate is between 300 to 400 Kuna for the trip. If you have time, let me find out from one of my taxi driver friends, I will post it later. Hmm, you have just given me an new subject for my blog.

Thank you for asking about this, regardless of anyone's political preferences, the loss of American lives that day was a huge tragedy.

Thanks so much for the info! If it's not too much trouble, please do check with your taxi driver friend. I'll be there on Jul 26 for a short port call. Rob

Hello.

I'm working my way through this thread trying to figure out where to spend our day We are sailing on Carnival Breeze arriving July 15, 2012 a Sunday.

Does anyone recommend a beach, or mostly the town & sightseeing?

I've been trying to figure out the link to see how many ships are in port that day, but I keep getting an error message.

Thanks!

Hello.

I'm working my way through this thread trying to figure out where to spend our day We are sailing on Carnival Breeze arriving July 15, 2012 a Sunday.

Does anyone recommend a beach, or mostly the town & sightseeing?

I've been trying to figure out the link to see how many ships are in port that day, but I keep getting an error message.

Thanks!

Two other very large ships in town on your date, total cruisers will be 7,899. All three ships arriving between 7am - 8am. The other two are departing at 1300, which means the old town will not be as busy during the afternoon.

We are not famous for our beaches, but the water is cold, clear and clean. We have one small beach close to the old town, it is called Banje. Be prepared, there is no sand, it is small pebbles.

You may want to spend time visiting some of our cultural and historical sites. Dubrovnik itself is a work of art.

My DH & I plan on doing the wall walking tour on our own. to pay to walk the city wall... I heard you have to use Kronas? Can you use a credit card? OR where can you change over to local currency?

Thanks!

The city wall entrance fee is 70 Kuna, they also will accept credit cards. There are many ATM machines located in the old town, if you want to obtain Kuna.

We just returned from the Eastern Mediterranean and had a late departure from Dubrovnik so we had dinner at a wonderful restaurant called Restoran Komarda. Their web site is http://komarda.hr/. They are located outside the wall, right on the water with a wonderful view of the wall and city. I am not sure if they are open for lunch, but it would be worth finding out.

Two other very large ships in town on your date, total cruisers will be 7,899. All three ships arriving between 7am - 8am. The other two are departing at 1300, which means the old town will not be as busy during the afternoon.

We are not famous for our beaches, but the water is cold, clear and clean. We have one small beach close to the old town, it is called Banje. Be prepared, there is no sand, it is small pebbles.

You may want to spend time visiting some of our cultural and historical sites. Dubrovnik itself is a work of art.

Thanks for taking the time to look that up and also for the info. People that I have talk to all say Dubrovnik is the most gorgeous place they have ever been.

Interesting what you say about California. I have never been, but my husband used to live there for years (L.A.) and hated it.

Hi Dubrovniktravelady

We will be in Dubrovnik on Sat 22 Sep 2012 on Celebrity Silhouette. Could you please tell me how many ships will be in port on that day?

TIA!

Bad news, 8 ships with a total of 9,888 cruisers. Good news is that 4 ships arrive after 12:00Noon leaving the early morning hours less crowded. September & October have become the busiest months for cruise ships this year, do plan your day carefully.

I see that you said Sept. & Oct are becoming busy , just wondering how many ships in town on October 16, We are doing a ship excurison in the morning and plan afternoon walking the town. Excurison takes us to Konavle Valley & to Caviat and then drops us off in Old Town . Our ship arrives at 0800 and leaves at 1700. Should have 4 hours to see old town before ship sails away. Is this enough time .

If I were to get a taxi from Gruz Port to the top of the cable car, approximatly how much would it cost? I'd like to do a one trip down on the cable car.

also for walking the walls I know the price is 70 kn adults and 30 kn kids, but what ages are considered kids. I have two teens and am not sure how much they will cost.

We are not famous for our beaches, but the water is cold, clear and clean. We have one small beach close to the old town, it is called Banje. Be prepared, there is no sand, it is small pebbles. You may want to spend time visiting some of our cultural and historical sites. Dubrovnik itself is a work of art.

maryann ns: I would take the cable car in the morning and wander around the old town. Then after lunch you can walk the walls with fewer people.

Agree with maryann and ubrovniktravelady on several key comments. Dubrovnik is about the walled' date=' historic city, its great charm, architecture and character, etc. Great plan to save the wall walk until later in the afternoon when maybe the crowds will be lessen (hopefully???).

You can see more notes on what we did and saw in wonderful Dubrovnik last June. Lots of pictures, great lunch suggestion, etc., on this posting. I would [i']strongly suggest doing the "Panoramic Tour" via a cab[/i] that is available as you exit your cruise ship. That gets you to the historic city, plus seeing from what up there with a great overview for what you would see from the cable car without needing to take the time, effort and cost to do that separately.

Super loved Dubrovnik!!! See more details and lots of great visual samples at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1439227

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 79,693 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Edited by TLCOhio

I see that you said Sept. & Oct are becoming busy , just wondering how many ships in town on October 16, We are doing a ship excurison in the morning and plan afternoon walking the town. Excurison takes us to Konavle Valley & to Caviat and then drops us off in Old Town . Our ship arrives at 0800 and leaves at 1700. Should have 4 hours to see old town before ship sails away. Is this enough time .

Congratulations, yours is the only ship in town. That being said, it also means that more ships could be added at a later date. Konavle valley and Cavtat are lovely and you will enjoy visiting the areas. Is 4 hours enough? Depends on what you want to visit and how long you stay. I've been here 4 years and still have not had enough time to experience the old town.

Maybe walk the wall or take tram or visit palace. Or what might you suggest with our 4 hour time limit.

Walk the sea side of the wall, it will take about 1 hour if you stop for photos. There is a lovely display at Rectors Palace of our green men, formerly at home in the clock tower. At Sponza palace you will find a memorial to the young men of Dubrovnik who perished during the 1991 homeland war. Very moving and video showing some of the shelling and the destruction of the old town. If you have time, do try to locate the Rupe Museum, it is the cultural history of the area. Cable car ride is always a lovely way to end the day, if there is enough time left.

Hello dubrovnik lady..

We are making a return visit and this time.with grandma. We know she will not be able to walk the walls so will just stroll in the town. A friend mentioned getting a cab from the port to take us to see the view above the town. Would you recommend this...thanks in advance...oh BTW we are in port June 3 from noon till 7

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk

Bad news, 8 ships with a total of 9,888 cruisers. Good news is that 4 ships arrive after 12:00Noon leaving the early morning hours less crowded. September & October have become the busiest months for cruise ships this year, do plan your day carefully.

Thanks - better we know this in advance! We had planned to do the Cable Car in the morning as we have young children and they will love this. We then wanted to drop them off back at the ship with granny - which we will definitely do now that we know so many ships arrive after 12pm.

My DH and I will then brave the crowds on our own and walk the wall.

Am I right that we will easily find taxis to take us from the port to the cable car and from the cable car back to the port?

We just returned from the Eastern Mediterranean and had a late departure from Dubrovnik so we had dinner at a wonderful restaurant called Restoran Komarda. Their web site is http://komarda.hr/. They are located outside the wall, right on the water with a wonderful view of the wall and city. I am not sure if they are open for lunch, but it would be worth finding out.

They are definitely open for lunch. We had a nice lunch there last June after walking around the city walls. The restaurant has great views and shade for the outdoor seating. It was reasonably priced as well.

Thanks - better we know this in advance! We had planned to do the Cable Car in the morning as we have young children and they will love this. We then wanted to drop them off back at the ship with granny - which we will definitely do now that we know so many ships arrive after 12pm.

My DH and I will then brave the crowds on our own and walk the wall.

Am I right that we will easily find taxis to take us from the port to the cable car and from the cable car back to the port?

Our cable car entrance is located on a busy one way road, doubtful you will find a taxi unless you grab one which is dropping off guests. You will find the closest taxi stand down at the Ploce gate entrance. Walk the steps down past a pizza cafe to the road, cross the road at the zebra (crosswalk) staying towards your left. Follow the outside of the wall down to Ploce gate, several taxis should be waiting there just in front of small Konzum store. Enjoy your day.