Dubrovnik Questions (merged)

Sorry to hear about your knee. That makes me want to ask how is your city or country on medical care? As you probably know ours over here is in a big mess.

If someone from a cruise ship needed medical attention would they have any problems. This is always a worry as we get older. (71-79 years young)

Hope you recover with very little problems.

As an American expat my 100% full coverage costs me 400Kuna ($70), my retired Croatian husband pays 50Kuna ($8.77) per month. No deductables, full coverage 100% and our doctors are very good. I also have the option to visit any private doctor or dentist for a fee. Had a tooth problem when I first arrived and used a private dentist for a new crown, 3 xrays, antibiotics and 3 follow up visits for a total cost of 1500 Kuna ($263). We have no problems at all with our medical system here, it's great.

My knee is improving and made it to the store today for groceries and could not manage the bus so took a cab home for $6.00. Cheaper then driving, which I refuse to do here. After all my local bus pass is free - over 65.

And the best part is that I get to live in Dubrovnik, the pearl of the Adriatic.

If you had to visit our local hospital, your insurance plan should cover any services. I did read in our local paper that some cruise ships have made agreements with the hospital to treat any problem. Of course, this is the reason one should have their passport with them at all times.

I personally have never allowed any cruise ship to keep my passport, ever!

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Dubrovniktravelady

I have also posted a question but thought I would post here to see if you read this more often.

I wish to go to Cavtat from Dubrovnik I will be in Dubrovnik on the 31st July on the P&O Azura.

Can you get a ferry or bus to Cavtat from Dubrovnik, if so where to I catch the bus or ferry please.

Do you know where we will dock, near the old town or not??

Many thaqnks for your help.

Rex

Edited by LEESRE

Dubrovniktravelady

I have also posted a question but thought I would post here to see if you read this more often.

I wish to go to Cavtat from Dubrovnik I will be in Dubrovnik on the 31st July on the P&O Azura.

Can you get a ferry or bus to Cavtat from Dubrovnik, if so where to I catch the bus or ferry please.

Do you know where we will dock, near the old town or not??

Many thaqnks for your help.

Rex

Saturday, 31 July is going to be a extremely busy day in Dubrovnik. We expect more than 8,000 cruisers to be visiting. Dubrovnik port authority website shows your ship to be docked at the Gruz harbor. This area is a ship shuttle or taxi ride to the old town, about 15 minutes away. Your arrival is scheduled from 0800 until 1600 and I strongly suggest you be first off the ship.

The ferry boat to Cavtat does depart from the old harbor located in the old town. The ferry costs 80 kuna per person, round trip and will take approximately 40 minutes to reach Cavtat. There is a bus which also goes down there, but you can't be sure of the traffic and I would hesitate to take the local bus. Just plan your day to make the return trip, the ferry will return to the same place in the old town.

Please do visit the Dubrovnik tourist bureau, they do have a map you can download so you can get your bearings prior to arrival in my home. This site does give very valuable information about our historical sights which you can visit prior to the departure of the first ferry.

Three of the six ships in port will be arriving at 1100 and 1200, they are all at tender in the old port. This area will be jammed with tenders and large ship excursions, plan you day very carefully.

Hi, thank you so much for all the info on this thread! We are docking on 22 August. As it is a Sunday, do you know if all the tourist places (walls etc) and restaurants will be open?

Sunday, 22 August is very much high season. There will be a total of 4 ships in port with more than 9,000 passengers. Yes, you will find all shops, restaurants and historical sights will be open. Bring your sunscreen, it is very hot and humid here. Enjoy your limited time in Dubrovnik.

I was in Dubrovnik in early July. My 15-year-old and I took the ferry to Cavtat and visited the shops and kiosks, walked around the peninsula there and joined the locals at a beach. A reminder that most beaches have no sand and there can be sea urchins so wear water shoes or sandals. The water feels very cool at first but almost immediately it just feels refreshing. When it is 90 degrees out, 68 degree water is great! Feeling much cooler, we continued our walk and ate at one of the restaurants back at the main docking area. The food was fresh and a good meal.

Sunbeams

Dubrovniktravelady - Good morning, yesterday I went to see this doctor for the first time and he is from Serbian. I mentioned that I will be in Croatia next year. He asked, what city? When I told him Dubrovnik he got a big smile on his face and said....."I spent my honeymoon there with this lovely lady (also a doctor). What a beautiful city." ;)

Dubrovniktravelady

Thanks for all the great info you provide. I've been following this thread for some time but don't think this question has been asked....

Is the wall ticket a day pass or one time use?

We're considering going half way around the wall, then walk around old town for a while, then walk the other half of the wall. Will we have to pay twice?

Dubrovniktravelady

Thanks for all the great info you provide. I've been following this thread for some time but don't think this question has been asked....

Is the wall ticket a day pass or one time use?

We're considering going half way around the wall, then walk around old town for a while, then walk the other half of the wall. Will we have to pay twice?

The city wall ticket is good for one day only. You can walk half and then finish later in the day. As we begin loose out daylight hours, the opening times for the walls will change. As of today the walls close at 1930 every day and it will begin to change by September. Plan your day carefully.

Hi all,

Can anybody tell me where Banje Beach is? I've heard it's on the east side of town but that doesn't help me much! Can you tell me which site/museum it is closest to?

many thanks!

Helen

Hi all,

Can anybody tell me where Banje Beach is? I've heard it's on the east side of town but that doesn't help me much! Can you tell me which site/museum it is closest to?

many thanks!

Helen

Banje beach is located nearest to the Ploce (plo-cha) gate, which is the eastern entrance to the old town. You can take a taxi to the Ploce gate or if you take the ship shuttle you then will walk the promenade, until you reach the opposite end of town. It is not located near any museum, it is just past our local high school.

I suggest you download a copy of the tourist map, this will help you get your bearings on the town and it's two main entrances. Enjoy your time here.

http://www.tzdubrovnik.hr/data/1198052158_49_mala_Plan%20Grada_2008.pdf

Edited by Dubrovniktravelady

Hello Dubrovniklady,

I just have a quick question, that I hope you can help me with.

I am a teacher and collect country flags - only from the country of course. Where in Dubrovnik could I purchase a Croatian flag?

Thanks!

I've not seen any place which sells a full size flag. However there are many shops located in the old town which have small desk size flags available for purchase.

I have a clothing queston...will shorts (men and women) be acceptable attire in Dubrovnik in mid Sept. I don't want to offend the locals if that is inappropriate. Not talking short shorts here. Thanks.

Many tourists arrive here wearing all sorts of shorts. Mini, short, long and it appears that no one cares how they look. Many of the local ladies wear skirts or sundresses when they are out in public. You will not offend anyone wearing shorts, just remember to be comfortable. September can still be hot and humid, so wear clothing which can breathe easily. Thank you for asking. Enjoy your day here.

This is a great thread and over the next couple of days I will try and read it all...

I am arriving on RCCL Splendour of the Seas on 19th September into Dubrovnik. I am not sure where we will dock.

I am travelling with my husband and this is our first visit to Dubrovnik.

I'm unsure whether we should do an organised tour or just visit the old town, have a bite to eat, walk the walls and do a bit (or alot) of shopping.

I would like some 1st timer tips and recommendations.

The lady at work tells me I should go to "Hole in the Wall" cafe. Where is this located?:)

This is a great thread and over the next couple of days I will try and read it all...

I am arriving on RCCL Splendour of the Seas on 19th September into Dubrovnik. I am not sure where we will dock.

I'm unsure whether we should do an organised tour or just visit the old town, have a bite to eat, walk the walls and do a bit (or alot) of shopping.

The lady at work tells me I should go to "Hole in the Wall" cafe. Where is this located?:)

Your ship will be docked in the new harbor port of Gruz, which means a shuttle or taxi ride into the old town. There will be a total of 6 ships with more than 10,000 cruise passengers wandering the old town. The good news is that 2 very large ships will be departing at 1300 & 1400 and 5,000 passengers will be gone.

You can of course walk the city wall, do some shopping and enjoy a lunch of our local Dalmatian food. There are 2 hole in the wall cafes, they do not serve food only drinks. You will see both of these places while walking the city wall, they are located on the sea side of town on the rocks on the sea. They are called "Buza" which means hole. Anyone can direct you to these place, but your time is limited and there is so much to see.

Do not miss taking the cable car to the top of Mt. Srd for a view of the area which is breathtaking. Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik.

Your ship will be docked in the new harbor port of Gruz, which means a shuttle or taxi ride into the old town. There will be a total of 6 ships with more than 10,000 cruise passengers wandering the old town. The good news is that 2 very large ships will be departing at 1300 & 1400 and 5,000 passengers will be gone.

You can of course walk the city wall, do some shopping and enjoy a lunch of our local Dalmatian food. There are 2 hole in the wall cafes, they do not serve food only drinks. You will see both of these places while walking the city wall, they are located on the sea side of town on the rocks on the sea. They are called "Buza" which means hole. Anyone can direct you to these place, but your time is limited and there is so much to see.

Do not miss taking the cable car to the top of Mt. Srd for a view of the area which is breathtaking. Enjoy your time in Dubrovnik.

Thanks so much for your reply.

So after reading your recommendations, I am thinking we will get the shuttle from the ship into the Old Town, walk the walls, have a nice lunch and then go up the cable car after the crowds have left. If we have any time left we'll do some shopping.

How does this sound? How long will it take to walk the walls?

Thanks again

Thanks so much for your reply.

So after reading your recommendations, I am thinking we will get the shuttle from the ship into the Old Town, walk the walls, have a nice lunch and then go up the cable car after the crowds have left. If we have any time left we'll do some shopping.

How does this sound? How long will it take to walk the walls?

Thanks again

Total time to walk the city walls depends on where you begin and how many photo stops you make. If you begin main entrance closest to the Pile gate, you will begin doing the sea side which is the least difficult. Once you reach the old harbor, the most difficult part begin as it is the upward part to the Minceta tower. The walls are 2 kilometers long with a grand total of 650 steps and normally takes about 2 hours to finish the entire wall. Remember you should bring some water and have very good walking shoes and hope for a cool afternoon. Enjoy your limited time in Dubrovnik.

Dubrovniktravelady what a wealth of information you are. Thanks for all the time you take to help people coming to visit Dubrovnik. We will also be there on Sept 19th on the Norwegian Gem from 1PM until 9PM. Dubrovnik is one place my husband has always wanted to visit. We already wish we could stay longer. It looks like sunset is going to be about 7 Pm on the 19th. What is there to do after dark? You mentioned in an earlier post about guides to the old town. An hints on how to find the best ones? Could I email you or you email me if you don't think you can put your answer on the forum. I know in other places on CC I have gotten the names of guides and services on the forum. Thanks again:)