charge to be on wait list?

skperson

I missed out on getting the mini suite I wanted by mere hours. NCL's phone desk told me it's $50 per person (there are 3 of us) to go on a wait list. Is that normal? I mean, why per person? It's one reservation, not 3!

Worse, I had booked the mini suite, and due to my credit card company's security monitoring, it put a hold on my card until they could contact me about an unusual amount of transactions in one day. Thus, I lost my NCL reservation. I see the room I had is still listed on another reputable travel site, but NCL says there are no mini suites left.

Anyone have any luck with repeatedly checking to see if the room they wanted ever became available again? And what's with charging to be waitlisted?

I never heard of such a thing and if the cabin is listed on another site why haven't you tried to book it on that site?

Exactly, unless you're afraid you might get double-booked, but I assumed NCL told you you didn't have a reservation. Also, I didn't know they charged for waitlisting? :confused: This is the first time I've heard of that. Has anyone else run into this?

DT

Sorry. Rereading my post, I realize I wasn't clear. By the time I told the credit card company it was a legit charge, the cabin I tried to book was gone. I contacted the online site to clear up the credit card issue, and they said there were no AF mini suites left, so I have booked a balcony cabin this morning. Tonight I see 6 or more AF suites on a different site. I confirmed availability and was at the "fill in your credit card" part, but didn't want to purchase two cabins from 2 sites. I called NCL to see if I could upgrade to the AF one, and they said no availability and $50 per person for the wait list. I laughed and told the man I had no intention of throwing out that much money with no guarantee of getting an upgrade. Per person, no less!!

There may really be no cabins avail and if you go throught the booking process with the agency,you still won't get one...Also, you didn't say when you were sailing, but the agency may have a group booked with those cabins in inventory...doubt it, but it may happen. I have seen where the cruiseline will charge for a waitlist, but it is credited towards the room, should it become available, or credited back to your card. It's a way the cruiselines know that you are serious about the waitlist.

I recently called NCL to see if for some chance there was a cabin available in a category that wasn't showing at the moment. The representative did say that if I wanted to be put on a list for one, that there would be a $50 pp charge. I didn't do it, but I did wonder that if one became available, whether they'd apply that $50 to the booking.

I recently called NCL to see if for some chance there was a cabin available in a category that wasn't showing at the moment. The representative did say that if I wanted to be put on a list for one, that there would be a $50 pp charge. I didn't do it, but I did wonder that if one became available, whether they'd apply that $50 to the booking.

I think I would have asked and then decided to commit or not based upon what happened to the $50.

I think I would have asked and then decided to commit or not based upon what happened to the $50.

I was very happy with my cabin that I already had...however, I just wanted to see if for some chance there was a cabin available in another category. It wasn't showing on the booking screen, but I thought, what the heck, call and see. I specifically asked about a waiting list in the event one of those cabins showed up and that's when I was told there was a $50pp charge to list for the potential of that cabin. I wasn't that interested in persuing it any farther since I didn't even know what the price of that cabin would be, so I said no thanks and hung up.

Sorry. Rereading my post, I realize I wasn't clear. By the time I told the credit card company it was a legit charge, the cabin I tried to book was gone. I contacted the online site to clear up the credit card issue, and they said there were no AF mini suites left, so I have booked a balcony cabin this morning. Tonight I see 6 or more AF suites on a different site. I confirmed availability and was at the "fill in your credit card" part, but didn't want to purchase two cabins from 2 sites. I called NCL to see if I could upgrade to the AF one, and they said no availability and $50 per person for the wait list. I laughed and told the man I had no intention of throwing out that much money with no guarantee of getting an upgrade. Per person, no less!!

ARe you within the cancelation penalty period? If not, then call the other agency that you saw the AF listed on and SEE if it is available, if it is have them hold it and then call and cancel your current booking, then call back and confirm the new booking with your deposit.

It would help if you mentioned what ship and date you are on here though.

There may really be no cabins avail and if you go throught the booking process with the agency,you still won't get one...Also, you didn't say when you were sailing, but the agency may have a group booked with those cabins in inventory...doubt it, but it may happen. I have seen where the cruiseline will charge for a waitlist, but it is credited towards the room, should it become available, or credited back to your card. It's a way the cruiselines know that you are serious about the waitlist.

I'm OK with that...just so the OP doesn't lose his/her money. I wouldn't say they may not get the cabin if NCL says none available. My TA reserves blocks of rooms in almost every category at lower prices, and then sells them off. Even though they most likely get a higher price on resale, their prices are still always lower than NCL advertises. That's why I've always booked through my TA. I've never tried anything higher than an OV, however.

DT

Archived