Travel doc and port question - Calica

karlanee

We got our documents in the mail the other day. On the itinerary it has a statement that says: Calica/Playa del Carmen *will call at Calica or Playa del Carmen.

I'm guessing that this means if the weather is bad - they'll tender you to Playa but if it's okay, they'll go into Calica. I can call Carnival, but thought I'd ask here first to see if anyone had an answer.

Thanks

We just returned from the cruise to Cozumel and Playa del Carmen on the Ecstasy last weekend. We docked at Calica because the port at Playa del Carmen requires you to be tendered ashore. I assumed that Calica was their preference because of that. I don't know what would cause them to change to Playa del Carmen. The disadvantage to Calica is that it is not near the town, so you either have to hire a taxi or schedule an excursion. (It's also not very pretty.) We went on a beach excursion ($35/each) and had a ball! The bus picked us up right at the dock and took us to a beach area that had snorkeling equipment and kayaks for rent. They also provided an open bar and offered a Mexican buffet for lunch that you could purchase. It was very good. And, the kayaks were free the day we went. I think you will have a great time there. I wish I was going back!

Sheryl,

Thanks so much for the insight. We've already decided to book an excursion to Xcaret for the day. The taxi/van will pick us up and drop us off there to explore on our own. And surprisingly, this is one excursion that is right around the same price through Carnival as it would be booked on your own. It's about $5 more which pays for the transportation.

Thanks again. Any insights into the Ecstasy? Did you post a review somewhere? I'd love to see what you thought. Only 37 days to go for us.

Archived