Olympus 1050 or 1030??? HELP!!!

capecodmommy

Which camera is better for land and sea?  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Which camera is better for land and sea?

• Olympus 1050
    • Olympus 1030

I am trying to figure out which one to buy. I have a few questions about them, #1. Do I need a housing for it or does it just go underwater? #2. What is the difference between the two, and #3. Do these cameras take picture on land?

1030 is water proof 33ft and 1050 is waterproof 10ft. You should check their info out at the Olympus site, http://www.olympusamerica.com/cpg_section/cpg_digital.asp. I personally decided to go with Panasonic DMC-TS1 that just came out instead of the new Olympus ones Tough 6000 or 8000. I think the 1030 has better reviews, I had been looking at those previously and for some reason I had thought about getting the 1030 but not the 1050. Google is your friend :) And of course they take pictures on land. Tho not as well as some others as they lose quality for all the ruggedness. Which is the reason I got the TS1, fantastic photos and video, so far it appears to be rated as one of the best rugged ones.

We've had the older version (Olympus 770sw) for about 3 years and love it. It takes great pictures above and below the surface to 30 feet. Ours has been on lots of adventures...kayaking, snorkeling, hiking, canoeing, fishing.

You can see some of the underwater pictures we just took with it on our Hawaii trip at:

(there are 4 deeper water pics that were taken with a rented camera)

If you want a sample of above surface pictures, check this out: Diamond Head view

We'll probably be upgrading later this year and will go for an Olympus replacement that can go 30 feet or so.

We've had the older version (Olympus 770sw) for about 3 years and love it. It takes great pictures above and below the surface to 30 feet. Ours has been on lots of adventures...kayaking, snorkeling, hiking, canoeing, fishing.

You can see some of the underwater pictures we just took with it on our Hawaii trip at:

(there are 4 deeper water pics that were taken with a rented camera)

If you want a sample of above surface pictures, check this out: Diamond Head view

We'll probably be upgrading later this year and will go for an Olympus replacement that can go 30 feet or so.

Thank you so much, your pictures are great. I just ordered the 1050. The price was so good I had to grab it. Thanks again, I hope I didn't make a mistake.

So with the 1030 camera you don't need a water proof housing unless you go deeper then 30 feet is this correct?

That's how it is with our 770SW. That being said, I wish that we had bought the housing as an accessory when we bought the camera 3 years ago. That way we could have taken it on our SNUBA trip. It's hard to get accessories on an "old" camera.

We bought the 770SW in 2007 for a trip to Tahiti. We loved it and a local Polynesian actually to it down to a depth of about 50 ft to take a picture of nurse sharks. The cameral worked and took the picture just fine, but many of the buttons on the camera stop working at the deeper depth.

Last year we were certified to dive and knew we'd be going deeper than 30 ft. on a regular basis, so my husband decided to buy the underwater housing. We just used it on our trip to the Southern Caribbean with no problems. We don't have any complaints with the camera. You can see photos taken with the 770SW in the web albums below my signature.

I don't think you'll regret your choice. Enjoy your adventures above and below the water!:)

Archived