Booking on ATA Safe?

newkidintown

I'm looking for flights from Chicago to Hawaii (for end of March/early April) and the cheapest fair is on ATA (by $150 x 2 people). Is it safe to book these flights? If they go out of business am I just out of luck- and money? They've filed for Chapter 11 protection and are supposedly leaving Chicago soon as they sell their gates to Air Trans. Anybody have any idea what would happen? And if it is bad news why are they still selling tix?

If anyone else is curious, I asked priceline what happens if I win a bid on an airline that goes bankrupt and is insolved before my travel dates. Basically you're screwed! They won't refund the money and they won't guarantee another flight on another airline.

Anybody know how to find out about when ATA is scheduled to go to court for its bankruptcy hearing?

I personally wouldn't fly on ATA at this time because it seems like they are the most likely to go under at this point. If its for next week, no problem. But for March/April, I'd steer clear.

Also one thing that ATA doesn't have going for itself is any alliances with other airlines that could pick up the stranded passengers if need be.

America West has dropped out of the bidding for ATA, but Southwest is still trying to wrest the Midway gates away from AirTran. However, it seems that that's all anyone wants: Some gates, some slots, etc. The rest of ATA (the flights, the aircraft) doesn't seem to be drawing any attention. I'd be very leary about putting much stock in any specific flight ever actually taking off.

• 3 weeks later...

Just had a friend's ATA flight to Miami get cancelled. I guess ATA is not flying there anymore, but does continue to fly to Ft Lauderdale.

They moved her to a flight to FLL, but now she had to pay extra for transport and even has to stay an extra day since there were no later flights the day of disembarkation..

Many of ATAs assets have been sold to Southwest. They will codeshare with ATA on some routes. Southwest has also infused ATA with cash to keep them flying, even as a smaller airline. Southwest will own 28% of ATA.

I would say you're safe flying with ATA for the medium term future.

• 2 weeks later...

ATA & Southwest just announced details of their code-sharing alliance. From the sounds of it, Southwest will do anything in their power to keep ATA flying for the foreseeable future as the code share now gets Southwest a virtual presence at airports such as LGA & DCA (And this is something that Southwest wanted dearly).

Archived