Canadian Currency

We have old Canadian Currency paper money in one dollar and 2 dollar, 5 and 10 dollars. I know that that they use the coins (looms?) for the lower amounts.

My question is this money still good? Thanks for the help.

Hmmmmm, haven't seen paper ones or twos in YEARS! You might just have collectors items there. I'm afraid I don't have an answer for you but, I did want to sent you straight about what our coins are called....

One dollar - Loonies. Refers to the Loon pictured on the coin.

Two dollars - Twonies (too nees). A play on the Loonie/Two thing.

Just trying to picture you asking if you could exchange your bills for looms....:)

We have old Canadian Currency paper money in one dollar and 2 dollar, 5 and 10 dollars. I know that that they use the coins (looms?) for the lower amounts.

My question is this money still good? Thanks for the help.

My suggestion would be to take them to a bank here in Canada and see if they will exchange them for new coins/bills. Not sure if they would, but it's worth a try.

All Canadian currency is still legal tender. They might give you a bit of a look, especially the kids who haven't seen many of the bills, but the stores and banks will still take them.

Not worth collecting, though. Might as well just spend it, unless it's pristine uncirculated condition.

Why yes it is a springer!

She is Beauty. because that what we keep calling her when she arrived. And she started to come every time we said Beautiful Beauty. The other dog Lucy-Loo "border Collie" was supposed to be a springer at least that what the recuse group told us! But we love anyway.

Thanks everyone for you replies!

"One dollar - Loonies. Refers to the Loon pictured on the coin.

Two dollars - Twonies (too nees). A play on the Loonie/Two thing."

Actually I though the loonie referred to the crazy government that got rid of the paper money and the twonie in honor of a double crazy government.

Your old bills are very much still legal tender.

Cheers

Dennis

Actually I though the loonie referred to the crazy government that got rid of the paper money

Dennis

You're right, but the coin wasn't big enough to fit his chin on it, so they went with the bird LOL.

Actually I though the loonie referred to the crazy government that got rid of the paper money and the twonie in honor of a double crazy government.

Yes, the government itself was Loonie, but switching to a coin for $1 was a good idea. Not well known is that the transit operating companies across the country were so happy to see it happen (much easier to make a coin mechanism) that they provided advertising for free.

$1 bills just wear out too fast (6 months), where as it costs more to mint a $1 coin, it lasts 50x as long.

Here is a Wiki link. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Withdrawn_Canadian_banknotes

For what it's worth, I'd probably try to find a bank and cash them in rather than deal with some weird looks when trying to spend them :D

I work with some younger people who really can't recall there ever being a $2 bill...

Enjoy your trip.

I remember taking some 1950's era one and two dollar bills I had to a collector and asked how much they were worth. He said one and two dollars each, and they will likely remain that way long after my great grandkids are gone (my kids are 8 by the way LOL). Unless these bills came out of the mint and immediately into a protective sleeve, their condition will make them worth their face value.

Any one remember the old 25 cent shin plaster I believe they were called - somewhere in my collection of collectibles I have one that was passed on from my dad - but then I also have some of the original editions of the Georgia Straight.

Cheers

Dennis

Any one remember the old 25 cent shin plaster I believe they were called - somewhere in my collection of collectibles I have one that was passed on from my dad - but then I also have some of the original editions of the Georgia Straight.

Cheers

Dennis

It's a wonder you are not still in custody lol.

Cheers

Dennis

Actually DW has one folded in glass container that is set in gold and is on her charm bracelet. Her GGF had put the shin plaster in her hand shortly after her birth and it was the first money that she ever had. I think she has another one or two put away somewhere. But until I met her forty years ago I hadn't heard of them.

Georgia Straight....and I get accused of being a junk collector....wait 'til DW hears about this.:D

Cheers

Dennis

Yes, I have one of those! It was a gift from a great-great relative, I believe.

I'm kinda jealous of those Georgia Straights :)

This should get me torched to a crisp:

Dare I say that as a member of the "establishment" I did't like the Georgia Straight at all. I remember having a few drinks in years gone by with original publisher/editor ...name forgotten... in the wardroom in HMCS Discovery ...his hair was a bit long...but I didn't care enough for his politics or his paper to even wrap my trash in it. However I do confess to reading a few articles in it in more recent times and my sons have read it for years.:eek:

Dan McLeod I believe is the name you are thinking of without going into the file cabinet and digging out a copy - I know the current editor Charles Smith from my working days.

I still don't like their politics but in case you do want to enjoy a different point of view go online to http://www.straight.com

Nowadays I don't rap the garbage with it - it goes into the recycle bin.

Great weather - should be a golden sunset on the Sunshine Coast tonight.

Cheers

Dennis

That was him....yes it is beautiful up here. Did some steaks on the barbe, watched the cruise ship races for Alaska and have been out on the patio with some grape watching the sun set against Davis Bay and Mission Point. Some people just walked by and said "it must be a tough life" my answer was " yes it is and I am not sure what I am going to do for an encore." Got to get back to the grape...no I mean the sunset.:D

I read the Georgia Straight for years ...but I never inhaled! :eek: It was the only thing one read if you hung out on 4th Ave. in the 60s!!

Dennis...you are corrrect it was Dan McLeod...but the paper is sure a lot different now than is was when it first came out in the sixties!

I read the Georgia Straight for years ...but I never inhaled! :eek: It was the only thing one read if you hung out on 4th Ave. in the 60s!!

!

Love it....TCF you probably hung with my brothers....got to get back to the grape & the sunset.:D

Just remember guys what you used to smoke in those days is the "cash crop" up here on the Coast today.;)

Is it red or white grapes tonight and is the steak medium or well done.

Saturday is my traditional night out - usually at the White Spot for a legendary burger and fries - watched the game in the lounge where some Irish rugby fans from Ireland had just returned from watching there country beat us out at T-Bird stadium.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived