SIM cards for Europe?

I have an unlocked TMobile cell phone. Going on Mediterranean cruise. Understand I can get a SIM card for use in Europe before I go -- anybody with experience doing this? rates? any problems? any surprises? how quickly do they ship the SIM card?

It's rather easy to do in most countries with the exception of Italy which requires a tax number to get a Sim. (Search the web and you can calculate one, if you really need it.) We just pop into a local cell company and it is usually €10 with a €5 credit, though I have seen some of them with full credit. They have a PIN, so you need to program your phone for the pin or input it each time you want to use it.

We have a dual SIM phone, so we can use either of our SIMs at the same time. If you have a Motorola you may need to manually change bands. Of course, make sure you have the European bands.

There are four frequency bands in use in the world for cell phones. The USA uses two while Europe uses a different two. Your cell must have the ability to use all four bands so that you can switch to the proper band for your current location on the earth. Some phones will switch automatically while others may not - consult your cell phone manufacturer. The four band cell phones are frequently referred to as world phones.

Since you have TMobile, you are already using a cell phone that uses GSM technology so no problem there. Sprint and Verizon use CDMA technology that is NOT compatible with GSM cell towers.

We got a sim for our t mobile phone before our 3 week cruise/land trip to Spain. My husband tested it before we went with the company who we got it from and it worked???, however, it NEVER worked in Spain. Trying to get our money back now. I've since read, it's better to buy it over there.............Hope you have better luck than we did.

We have one for our unlocked Motorola Cell...bought the sim at the t-mobil stand at the Amsterdam airport...works just great, very user friendly. Can buy minute cards to load up at most grocery/convenient stores. We always tell people back home to call us (you get a new cell number while you're using it) so our minutes don't go down too fast ;)! One word of caution, if the sim is inactive for 6 months, it won't work again for your next trip and you'll have to buy a new one.

;)

I am going on a Med cruise next year and took that into account recently when I updated my very old cellphone for this very reason. Our VerizonWireless store had 3 models which have dual CDMA/GSM capability and are their world phones. I bought a Samsung Renown and I think it automatically changes over to GSM capable once in those countries or can be done easily with a drop down screen. The phone came with 3 different conversion plugs, one for Europe, UK and Australia. My friends have AT&T and they also have something similar they purchsed in their stores and have used their phones all over Europe with no problem.

After the credits/discounts the new phone was only $79. I read a few reviews which indicate the phone itself does well, as long as all you really want to do is make a call, but if you are into all the other song and dance features of the camera/video, etc. you need to find another model. Time will tell next year.

Archived