Miami airport question

gdpups

We're booking our first NCL cruise on the Pearl out of Miami in January 2010 and I was wondering if it's possible to catch an 11:30 am flight back home. Is it possible or pushing it???? If so it would save some $$$ and get us closer to home.

I have done it many times. You will get people who tell you don't do it, but I think 11:30 is fine and you will still have time at the airport. I actually have an 11:55 out of FLL ( cruising out of MIA) and i am not worried. If you feel better self disembark ( which is what I always do).

I would say yes it is possible....I do think you will be very rushed though...we cruised out of miami in october and were the first people off the ship and didn't make it through customs till 10:30...it depends how many ships need to clear customs that morning and where u r coming from...a cruise rep at the pier told us customs always drags when ships ha?e made a stop in belize for whatever reason

From someone who lives in Miami and travels through MIA more often than she would like: ALWAYS build in extra time, if you can. Because of the very large number of international flights through MIA, security can be very, very unpredictable.

In additiion, American has recently (within the last year) closed the dedicated D Terminal security checkpoint. This means a VERY long walk to most of the D gates after clearing security.

I always cringe when this question comes up. Sure, you might make it - sometimes, I've been happily surprised at how quickly I've navigated MIA and arrived at my gate. However, I've also had occasions where I've stood in line for 30 minutes, than had at least a 10-15 minute walk to my gate (this from a very fast walker.) I wish I could give you a rhyme/reason to this but there isn't any, it seems!

One other issue to consider - what if your ship arrives a bit later than scheduled, or if there is a problem clearing passengers? It happens and yes, it can happen at the port of Miami - my building looks over the port, so I pretty much know when a particular ship arrives later than scheduled. It happens to all of them at least once a season - and as other posters will attest, sometimes the disembarkation process can be unexpectedly delayed.

If you can take a later flight, do it so that you can relax and enjoy. Or spend another day in our crazy city! :) If you're looking for ways to pass the time in Miami, just search my posts; I've responded to a few inquiries on this topic on the East Coast Departures board.

Hope this helps!

We're booking our first NCL cruise on the Pearl out of Miami in January 2010 and I was wondering if it's possible to catch an 11:30 am flight back home. Is it possible or pushing it???? If so it would save some $$$ and get us closer to home.

Can you imagine how stressed out you'd be if for whatever reason, you are delayed getting off the ship, or getting through customs or whatever and you miss your flight? Play is safe and take a later flight; you'll be more relaxed and stress-free. I recall one year when we were travelling from JFK to Miami. Our departure from the Miami port was at 4:00 pm. We had a flight out of JFK at 8:30 in the morning. Plenty of time we figured. Well there was a delay at JFK, and when we got to Miami we had to wait for a terminal to free up. We got to the ship a little after 3:00 pm. Too close for comfort. Stuff Happens; so IMHO, take a later flight.

We were on the Dawn in March and flew out of Miami. We self-disembarked around 8:45 a.m., got through customs very quickly, took a shuttle to the airport for a 12:45 p.m. flight. The problem was the airport itself - we flew with American and it was so crowded. You had to print your boarding pass yourself, and stand in a huge line. Just trying to ask someone for help was frustrating. After we checked in, we did have time to get something to eat and wait for our flight to leave.

Archived