Where to Buy Formalwear???

bqkali

Thank you again to everyone for the suggestions. I spent some time at the mall this weekend. I found dozens of great dresses at Macy's, but none in my price range. I'm hoping for a sale...thankfully I have four months to shop still :)

Prom season will be over soon and a lot of those dresses will be going on sale so just look out for it.

I'm also petite (although not quite so young). I've been able to find clothes from BCBG -- a little pricey but check the sale racks. I've also bought cocktail dresses from Banana Republic and Express -- again, check the sale racks. I've got a nubmer of dresses bought from these stores that I paid anywhere from $20 to $80 for. Forever 21 is a good suggestion as well. Another thing you can do (if you have the patience for it), is find the dress you like, try it on in the store, and if it's out of your price range, try to find the exact same dress on eBay -- I have done that successfully as well.

I am putting up a bunch of my formal wear stuff on Ebay this afternoon. Most everything has long sleeves. How about an Oscar de la Renta red silk organza-long sleeves, cocktail length? Size 8 (small 8, more like a 6). I put a $65.00 Buy It Now price on it.

I get a lot of designer stuff from a very close friend who works for one of the premier talent agencies in Los Angeles. The clothes are worn once for a photo shoot or fashion show, then discarded. Can't have two up and coming actresses seen in the same dress. So she snags them for me.

I also have quite a few fully beaded gowns, almost all with long sleeves. Worn once at the photo shoots and MAYBE once by me. Some are even new with the tags still attached. I love them because they don't wrinkle in the least. In fact, I don't ever hang them except just before I wear them.

Just a suggestion.

I'm 24 and I like to shop for formalwear at places like Dillard's or other major dept stores. check the prom dept. I found two dresses in the prom dept for 10 dollars each a few years ago that definitely are not the Cindrella poofy ball gown or too young. Both are also a jersey material for easy packing and more revealing that I ever would have been allowed to wear for Prom! Also, if you have any discount stores (or something like Forever 21!) in your area, check there for cocktail length dresses. If you can't find something with sleeves (because I think that will be pretty difficult) you can get a cute sweater or wrap to go with your dress.

I would personally just take a day, even if it's not something you particularly enjoy, and go shopping. Take someone you trust with you if you can. And, heck, as long as you're at it, you may as well look for other stuff you'll need too.

I am putting up a bunch of my formal wear stuff on Ebay this afternoon. Most everything has long sleeves. How about an Oscar de la Renta red silk organza-long sleeves, cocktail length? Size 8 (small 8, more like a 6). I put a $65.00 Buy It Now price on it.

I get a lot of designer stuff from a very close friend who works for one of the premier talent agencies in Los Angeles. The clothes are worn once for a photo shoot or fashion show, then discarded. Can't have two up and coming actresses seen in the same dress. So she snags them for me.

I also have quite a few fully beaded gowns, almost all with long sleeves. Worn once at the photo shoots and MAYBE once by me. Some are even new with the tags still attached. I love them because they don't wrinkle in the least. In fact, I don't ever hang them except just before I wear them.

Just a suggestion.

What is your ebay seller name? I'd love to check out your items. Thanks!!

Archived