Where to Buy Formalwear???

bqkali

Calling all fashion experts!!

I really dislike shopping and try to avoid it as much as possible...but I'm going on a cruise in September and will have 2 (maybe 3??? It's a 10-night cruise) formal nights. I have absolutely nothing to wear, so at some point I will need to shop. Skipping formal night is not an option I want to consider - I love the dining room food too much!! I have plenty of clothes for the informal and casual nights.

I am young and petite and buy almost all of my work clothes at The Limited, but I never really see anything there that I would consider "formal". Mostly lightweight sweaters or blouses and pants/skirts for the bottom. Things that would fall under my office's "business casual" policy, or perhaps slightly nicer. I tend to buy casual clothes at stores like Express, Abercrombie, or American Eagle - but these stores don't really offer formalwear or anything that's not too trendy. I have given up shopping at my local Marshall's after going a dozen times over the past year and leaving empty handed every time (well, except for shoes which I always find there ;)).

Ideally, I'd like something with a sleeve (it is Alaska after all!) that doesn't need to be ironed. Jersey or knit materials of some sort perhaps? And to complicate things, something affordable. Any suggestions on where to look? I'm open to any chains that I'd likely find around here or even online stores if they have decent return/exchange policies, just in case.

Thanks!

All of the major department stores will have formal wear --- and starting anytime now they will have the prom stuff marked down considerably - like 75 to 90% off. Some of the dresses may be too young and sweet, but you may find something that is right.

If you want something cocktail length, Macy's and Dillards both have departments with cute sophisticated dresses - stuff that you could definitely wear to a cocktail or work party at home, and on a cruise ship.

Anthropologie is expensive, but they have some great dresses on sale:

http://www.anthropologie.com/anthro/catalog/category.jsp?popId=SALE&selectedProductSize=&navAction=jump&navCount=0&pushId=SALE_CLOTHES_DRESS&itemCount=-1&id=SALE_CLOTHES_DRESS&selectedProductSize1=

White House Black Market

http://www.whitehouseblackmarket.com/store/browse/sale_shelf.jsp?cat=Sale+Dresses++Skirts&catId=cat210002

And Ann Taylor

http://www.anntaylor.com/catalog/category.jsp?N=1200380&pCategoryId=193&categoryId=3359&Ns=CATEGORY_SEQ_3359&loc=LN

Hope this helps!

Calling all fashion experts!!

I really dislike shopping and try to avoid it as much as possible...but I'm going on a cruise in September and will have 2 (maybe 3??? It's a 10-night cruise) formal nights. I have absolutely nothing to wear, so at some point I will need to shop. Skipping formal night is not an option I want to consider - I love the dining room food too much!! I have plenty of clothes for the informal and casual nights.

I am young and petite and buy almost all of my work clothes at The Limited, but I never really see anything there that I would consider "formal". Mostly lightweight sweaters or blouses and pants/skirts for the bottom. Things that would fall under my office's "business casual" policy, or perhaps slightly nicer. I tend to buy casual clothes at stores like Express, Abercrombie, or American Eagle - but these stores don't really offer formalwear or anything that's not too trendy. I have given up shopping at my local Marshall's after going a dozen times over the past year and leaving empty handed every time (well, except for shoes which I always find there ;)).

Ideally, I'd like something with a sleeve (it is Alaska after all!) that doesn't need to be ironed. Jersey or knit materials of some sort perhaps? And to complicate things, something affordable. Any suggestions on where to look? I'm open to any chains that I'd likely find around here or even online stores if they have decent return/exchange policies, just in case.

Thanks!

Hi:)you mentioned it in your post...Matte jersey is a fabulous

material:D you can find it at many of the major dept stores.

It (usually) can be very dressed up...a matte jersey black dress

for example, easy to pack, pick whatever jewelery, a cute heel

and you are set;) or you could pick a color and do the same.

I love Matte Jersey!:D

Where do you live? Pick a chain dept store...Dillards, Belks,

Nordstroms, 3 examples... you could try Macy's if you

have one of those.

You mentioned Marshalls...do you have a TJ MAXX and/or

Dress For Less?

They all have dresses.

Have fun and good luck with your search:)

I am young and petite and buy almost all of my work clothes at The Limited, but I never really see anything there that I would consider "formal". Mostly lightweight sweaters or blouses and pants/skirts for the bottom. Things that would fall under my office's "business casual" policy, or perhaps slightly nicer. I tend to buy casual clothes at stores like Express, Abercrombie, or American Eagle - but these stores don't really offer formalwear or anything that's not too trendy.

Thanks!

Okay...

So far, we have young and petite, and a few stores that you like in general for us to start with...

A couple more things so that people can really help you in the right direction...

#1 What does "something affordable" actually mean to you? We need a price range.

#2 For me personally, to help you find the best for you, it's very helpful to know your hair color, eye color, and skin tone. We want to find some things that are great for your coloring!

Let us know.;)

I wear small sizes, too (not "young" tho!!!) and I can find things in Macy's--you just have to look for the smaller sizes. Gowns and cocktail dresses seem to fit me in a size 4, even tho I shop at Ann Taylor and the Loft (those type of stores) and wear between a 0-2. the Limited doesn't carry "formalwear".

The ship is heated--you can go sleeveless with formalwear!

All of the major department stores will have formal wear --- and starting anytime now they will have the prom stuff marked down considerably - like 75 to 90% off. Some of the dresses may be too young and sweet, but you may find something that is right.

I'll have to check. All I remember from my prom is dresses with big poofy skirts (not what I have in mind for the cruise!!) but maybe I'll find something a little less like Cinderella's ball gown ;)

If you want something cocktail length, Macy's and Dillards both have departments with cute sophisticated dresses - stuff that you could definitely wear to a cocktail or work party at home, and on a cruise ship.

Cocktail length would be great, seems more multi-purpose. Don't have a Dillards, but I'll put Macy's on my checklist.

Thanks for the links. Unfortunately, once I narrowed it down to my size, there was nothing "formal" left at Anthropologie. Tons of great choices at WHBM, but nothing in my price range. I wrote it down to check back at though in case they have further sales. Ann Taylor looked like it had a lot of great choices also, but again more than I'd like to spend. I'll check back. Also inspired me to check Ann Taylor Loft in hopes of better prices, but the dresses there didn't look that promising. Thanks again for the help!!

Since you don't wear formal that much, don't spend a lot of money. Try places in Macy's, TJ Max, Burlington Coat Factory and online stores.

Like I said above, Macy's is on my list now. Unfortunately, I don't have a TJ Maxx, and I boycott Burlington because the store is so disorganized I can never find anything...it's not worth my time to sift through dozens of racks because they have dresses mixed in with sweatpants. Any online stores you would suggest?

Hi:)you mentioned it in your post...Matte jersey is a fabulous material:D you can find it at many of the major dept stores.

It (usually) can be very dressed up...a matte jersey black dress for example, easy to pack, pick whatever jewelery, a cute heel and you are set;) or you could pick a color and do the same. I love Matte Jersey!

Where do you live? Pick a chain dept store...Dillards, Belks, Nordstroms, 3 examples... you could try Macy's if you have one of those. You mentioned Marshalls...do you have a TJ MAXX and/or Dress For Less?

They all have dresses.

Have fun and good luck with your search

Matte jersey would be perfect and I have tons of jewelry to dress it up with! Unfortunately, out of all the stores you mentioned, the only one I have is Macy's :eek: Of course, everyone has suggested there so far, so I guess it'll be the first place I look!

Okay...

So far, we have young and petite, and a few stores that you like in general for us to start with...

A couple more things so that people can really help you in the right direction...

#1 What does "something affordable" actually mean to you? We need a price range.

#2 For me personally, to help you find the best for you, it's very helpful to know your hair color, eye color, and skin tone. We want to find some things that are great for your coloring!

Let us know.

#1 - Woud LOVE to get something for $50. I never have a reason to dress up so I'd hate to spend a lot on something that I know won't be worn for at least another year til my next cruise.

#2 - I have dark brown hair with a hint of red (okay, the box says it's "chocolate cherry" lol), dark brown eyes. Medium skin tone, probably by September when I leave for the cruise it will be a decent tan. I tend to look good in what my mom calls jewel tones - burgundies, deep blues, forest greens. And black, but I think everyone looks good in black. Usually pastels don't work too well for me (and of course I'm shopping in spring!) and sometimes I do okay with bright colors, but other times not.

I wear small sizes, too (not "young" tho!!!) and I can find things in Macy's--you just have to look for the smaller sizes. Gowns and cocktail dresses seem to fit me in a size 4, even tho I shop at Ann Taylor and the Loft (those type of stores) and wear between a 0-2. the Limited doesn't carry "formalwear".

The ship is heated--you can go sleeveless with formalwear!

Macy's is the clear winner! I know I could go sleeveless, but if at all possible, I'd prefer not to. I'm ALWAYS cold so for me, a sleeveless dress would then mean I'd have to also find a wrap or something to go with it...which would be a whole other discussion:rolleyes:

Thanks to everyone for your help!! I'll check out Macy's for sure and any other stores that look promising.

I've gotten my daughter a very cute LBD at Ann Taylor, it was around $60-70 after tax. I ordered probably a dozen or more dresses online (she wouldn't go shopping with me) and this was the only one she liked. Go figure, it's right across from where I work a couple nights a week at the mall :rolleyes:.

Are you into Retro at all?

Coldwater Creek $29.99.

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/Products/Product.aspx?productid=44977&ensembleid=51059&Skn=outlet

Don't know what size you need.

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/Products/Product.aspx?productid=45025&ensembleid=51107&Skn=outlet

Here's the link to all 9 pages of their sale dresses, maybe you can find something.:)

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/outlet-dresses.aspx?ProductsPerPage=0

Have you tried Speigel?

http://www.spiegel.com/shop/product_ensemble.aspx?effort=2AE&style_id=36411221&ifn=S0932019_SDA09_009_HEAD&associated=1&index=44&gp_coll_id=5001&gp_cat_id=5002&nav_cat_id=12991&category_id=12993

If this link works, it goes to a really cute strapless dress - $59. Comes in black and current. You can put a cute jacket or bolero type sweater over it. Take a look at the other dresses on this site. The sale prices vary.

Also take a look at Newport News:

http://www.newport-news.com/shop/thumbnail.aspx?womens-dresses&index=27&gp_coll_id=9&gp_cat_id=1649&nav_cat_id=1686&category_id=7660

Don't forget, anything sleeveless or strapless can be worn with the right style jacket/sweater. The stores you usually shop at might have some good ones.

I got mine on ebay. it was 1/2 the cost of the price printed on the tag. Sorry if that has been mentioned. You can get very specific about what your looking for too.

I also like Fashionbug.com they have some great stuff there.

Happy Shopping! and have fun on your cruise!

Believe it or not I actually saw some cute formal outfits at JC Penney ... very much the same as in Macy's. (I too look good in bright colors) have you tried some of the bridal shops/prom stores .... After June they sometimes have great sales ... not everything is "poofy".

Good luck. Jan

Coldwater Creek $29.99.

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/Products/Product.aspx?productid=44977&ensembleid=51059&Skn=outlet

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/Products/Product.aspx?productid=45025&ensembleid=51107&Skn=outlet

Here's the link to all 9 pages of their sale dresses, maybe you can find something.:)

You had to post those links??:eek::D...I said I was not going

to order another dress from them on-line due to the fact everytime

I do it doesn't fit right:(

But I saw a beautiful red one for only 26.00 and they had a Petite 16

so maybe this one will fit.......

It just grabbed me~perfect for Alaska.....

Check it out:

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/Products/Product.aspx?productid=44032&ensembleid=50080

Will let you know when I get it:)

Lois I hope that fits you too .. because I have that dress and it is sooooooo versatile!! I just love it. (BTW great price!!)

Hey Kathy,:) will let you know!

Oh, I got a cute sweater too...only 13 bucks:D

I really do hope the dress fits.

Coldwater Creek $29.99.

Thanks for the links. I've never shopped at Coldwater Creek before but I loved some of the dresses :) Unfortunately, didn't look like the ones I wanted were in my size. I will have to go to their store and see if I have better luck. Even better - there is an outlet about an hour away from me that I will be conveniently driving by on Saturday! Maybe I'll find a steal.

You had to post those links??:eek::D...I said I was not going

to order another dress from them on-line due to the fact everytime

I do it doesn't fit right:(

But I saw a beautiful red one for only 26.00 and they had a Petite 16

so maybe this one will fit.......

It just grabbed me~perfect for Alaska.....

Check it out:

http://www.coldwatercreek.com/Products/Product.aspx?productid=44032&ensembleid=50080

Will let you know when I get it

\

Don't you just hate when someone does that?:D Someone posted a dress from Banana Republic so I went snooping around the website and saw something I had to have. Ended up finding it in the store for a fraction of the price online....$16 for a $150 dress.:)

I LOVE red dresses and hope this one works for you. Glad to "help" you out.:D

OP, I thought it might be a long shot that you could find something in the right size but you never know. You can continue to look because they add things and something might come up. You can always count on Coldwater for nice quality.

As for me since Cruising to the only time I do the Formal thing. I shop the second hand stores. After Prom is a great time to go. You can also find some fun formal dresses at Vintage shops. Spend less on the dress and save the rest for some awesome shoes that you will wear more often.

Okay don't laugh at me (my husband did), but I happened on this website via a google search for cruise formal wear: http://www.promgirl.com/

I thought it would be a bunch of prom dresses for young ladies (I'm over, so I guess I'm still young), but it appears to be for all occasions and to be a nice selection. I actually found a dress for my upcoming cruise that I'm eagerly awaiting its arrival on my doorstep. At a glance I didn't see a dresses with sleeves, but I did see some knit dresses.

Steinmart if you have one in your area, has a few surprises and good deals. I found some good things there for formal and regular wear. You just have a look around. It's a fun store.

Just an option......My DD has the same type of wardrobe problem, she is young, petite and rarely has the need for very formal clothes. Try Forever 21. The clothing is trendy and really inexpensive. She calls it disposable clothing! You can buy really cute dresses for an average of $30. They may not last forever but who cares. She is a young (26yo) clothing designer and I am a 50yo business owner and we have both bought clothing there. You can buy online but if you can find a store it would be much better since I have found that some of their clothing/fabrics do look cheap. Also, be warned that their stores are a bit overwhelming, there is so much to look at and you need to go when you have the time and patience to really look around and try things on.

HTH

Laine

I heartily agree with the posters who mentioned Steinmart and Coldwater Creek. And I would add Chico's to the mix. Our local store usually has a great selection of sale merchandise.

I think what's being called "matte jersey" here is what I call "travel knit". Coldwater Creek has a nice selection of various pieces of it - and Coldwater Creek also has petite sizes. The best thing about it that it can been dressy or casual - depending on jackets, accessories, shoes, etc. It's also separates - which I find a lot easier to buy and to pack than dresses. Unfortunately, their online presentation of it is absolutely awful, so try a store in your area. Chico's also has wonderful travel knit (though a bit pricier) and you can sometimes find it at Steinmart.

Though you will spend a little more money, you will have something you can continue to wear after you get home because it can become business attire as quickly as evening attire. The stuff is so comfortable that you'll think you're wearing your pj's! It packs into a tiny area of your luggage and comes out looking perfect. You can wash it out in your bathroom sink and wear again and again.

Buy one pair of pants and top and wear them for all your formal nights with different jackets or scarves or whatever. I have several outfits in what your mom calls "jewel tones" (so it's definitely available) - but the one that I don't leave home without is black. You can also find it in simple long-sleeved dresses - but it sounds like you would be more apt to wear it after your trip is it were pants.

Good luck!

Donia

Thank you again to everyone for the suggestions. I spent some time at the mall this weekend. I found dozens of great dresses at Macy's, but none in my price range. I'm hoping for a sale...thankfully I have four months to shop still :)

There is a Chico's and a SteinMart not too far away so I'll add them to my list of stores to check. Also added Forever 21 to the list. I'm still hesitant to order something online because I'm worried about whether or not it would fit, so looks like I'll be hitting the stores for awhile.

Archived