Embera Indian Village

On our last Panama cruise we took the Canal Experience excursion and LOVED it. This cruise we are looking at the Embera Indian village and was wondering if anyone could give some insight on this excursion? Did you really enjoy it? Was it worth the cost? At the village is there restrooms, strange question but I have IBS and need to keep bathrooms somewhat near. :o Any other information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. :D

We were there in '07 and it was truly amazing. I don't believe there were bathrooms because you visit these people in their village and it is very very primitive.

They had a wonderful sense of dignity and pride in their culture. I would go back in a minute. I will always remember them.

We had some reservations when we decided to do this tour in Februrary - but it turned out to be one of the best tours we have ever taken. The Embria Indians are very gracious hosts and go out of their way to make you feel welcome. The village we visited had modern, clean restrooms. The lunch we were served included fresh fruit, make yourself sandwiches, and freshly prepared fish. The chief and his wife spoke to the group about their village, their dress, and their customs. They gave some time to explore the village on your own and then gathered everyone together for a dance demonstration. They also had handmade handicrafts for sale. The money for the tour goes to the village but the money for purchased crafts goes to the family selling the crafts.

Word of caution - the worst part of the trip is the almost two hour drive over rough roads to get to the river and then the almost 2 hour drive to get to the port. The canoe ride across the river is a short ride and have your camera ready to film the greeting you receive when you arrive at the village.

The villages do not allow you to give anything to the children except the tour number stickers - the children love these and try to get as many as they can from the visitors.

HAL had armed guards on the tour bus and ours helped break up a major traffic jam to get us back to the ship.

We would definitely do this tour again.

Barbara

Yes, they do take US money and their things are gorgeous.

Wow BGone. That was a completely different route than the one we took. We were on a Carnival ship. We took a short bus ride to a nice; but older resort on Gatun (?) Lake, we then boarded small boats that probably held about 30 people and took a 20-30 minute ride across the lake to the village. After we returned we gathered in the resort restaurant for Panamanian beer and it was GOOD.

Eh, posted before I finished reading.

You can get some nice carvings or baskets that have been weaved by hand for $10-50 dollars. They aren't large; but are very nicely done. They have a lot of pride in their work and rightly so.

We did the tour during our Panama Canal cruise in 2008. We did not have a long drive so must have started from a different place than people above. We left the ship while in Gatun Lake, toured the Gatun Locks (actually saw our ship going through the locks) and went to the Indian village and ended up catching up with our ship at Cristobal Pier. Our tour was not an all day tour. No lunch was served. Our drive there was over good roads and only took about 30-45 minutes, if that.

The village we went to had very primitave restroom facilities and we were advised to use the restrooms at the hotel where we got the boats to the village to use the facilities there.

So I guess it all depends on what tour you are on. Our cruise was west to east on Celebrity Infinity if that helps.

We loved the tour. The natives were very welcoming. They did several dances for us and had handmade items for sale. The trip trough Gatun Lake on the small boats was a lot of fun and we saw monkeys and other wildlife. If I ever go through the canal again, I would like to do the same tour again.

Hope this helps.

Elaine

Ahoy!

You may want to do a search on the Panama Ports of Call board for tour feedback.

Another useful site is Richard Detrich's web-site (he's an excellent HAL Explorer's series lecturer / port advisor of some sort these days) that has great information on Panama & the Embera Village people & tours.

http://richarddetrich.wordpress.com/

Bon Voyage & Good Health!

Bob:)

My husband and I did the Embera Village this past February. The bus ride didn't seem to be very long, however our canone ride was 40 minutes. The village we were visiting was further out.

It was great and I'd do it again. The restroom's, think out house.

You must take this excursion ... and yes, there are rest rooms at the village. We were there a month ago. Like another person who posted here mentioned, we took a 2-hour bumpy bus ride each way. We then boarded dugout canoes that had outboard motors on them and went down the river to the village. The Indians gave us a lunch of tilapia and plantains in banana leaves (no forks) and treated us to a dance performers. Then they invited the audience to dance with them. Their crafts are beautiful and as little as $5 for a metal bracelet, or $7 for a small basket. You will regret not taking this tour!!!

Archived