Day trips from Seattle

NAUdebo

Thanks to both of you. :)

One more question: I will pick-up my rental car at the airport. Should I take 405 all the way to 90, or is 900 (just north of Renton) to Issaquah a nice scenic drive?

The first half of 900 isn't particularly scenic at all -- really just the business area of Renton. Plus lots of traffic lights, so it can be a slow trip. The 2nd half of 900 (where it turns north between Cougar and Squak mountains) is much more scenic, but not sure it's worth the extra effort.

I'd suggest sticking with 405/90 and getting to Issaquah and Snoqualmie quicker. And that drive along Lake Washington and Lake Sammamish is very scenic in its own right, especially if the weather cooperates.

The first half of 900 isn't particularly scenic at all -- really just the business area of Renton. Plus lots of traffic lights, so it can be a slow trip. The 2nd half of 900 (where it turns north between Cougar and Squak mountains) is much more scenic, but not sure it's worth the extra effort.

I'd suggest sticking with 405/90 and getting to Issaquah and Snoqualmie quicker. And that drive along Lake Washington and Lake Sammamish is very scenic in its own right, especially if the weather cooperates.

Thanks, Randy. :)

I concur that you should stick to 405/90 rather than SR900, especially if it's a weekday anywhere near rush hour. At least 405/90 have carpool lanes.

Another place of possible interest in Issaquah is XXX Root Beer. http://www.triplexrootbeer.com/ It can be a fun place to stop for a *real* milkshake on a hot day, and if it's a weekend, there's a good chance of a car show... or at least a few classics hanging out. There was a huge show this weekend but we didn't venture near it.

Happy to answer any Issaquah questions...

I concur that you should stick to 405/90 rather than SR900, especially if it's a weekday anywhere near rush hour. At least 405/90 have carpool lanes.

Another place of possible interest in Issaquah is XXX Root Beer. http://www.triplexrootbeer.com/ It can be a fun place to stop for a *real* milkshake on a hot day, and if it's a weekend, there's a good chance of a car show... or at least a few classics hanging out. There was a huge show this weekend but we didn't venture near it.

Happy to answer any Issaquah questions...

Thanks for the info, Sherry! We'll be there on a Saturday.

There was still a descent amount of snow up on Snoqualmie this weekend. It was in the low 70's according to the therm. in our truck, and we were wearing shorts and flip flops. :D

I have to say..I don't experience that too often. :)

I hope you enjoy your trip. :)

How difficult is it to get to Issaquah? I work with San Mar (daily) and was invited up to visit while I'm in Seattle, but we weren't planning on renting a car.

If a car is required, might have to skip it this time around.

I got home from our cruise yesterday, and wanted to report that we had a lovely time in Snoqualmie and Issaquah on Saturday! We went to Snoqualmie Falls first, and I decided to do the hike to the base of the falls. What was I thinking?! I survived the uphill climb, as well as a fall as I slipped on some rocks on the walk down to the river. It certainly is a beautiful area. We ate lunch at the restaurant at Salish Lodge, with a lovely view overlooking the river and falls. We skipped the railroad in Snoqualmie and spent the rest of the afternoon in Issaquah. We got turned around a few times, but found Boehm's Candies, Gilman Village, and Triple X Root Beer! Warning, carefully read the menu before ordering! I asked what the smallest burger was, and if I could upgrade to onion rings instead of fries. My total for a 1/4 pound cheeseburger with onion rings and a chocolate shake was $17.36!!! We also drove around the historic area of downtown Issaquah and stopped at the town hall and the railroad depot. The weather was beautiful - sunny and in the low 80's - and it was a wonderful way to spend our post-cruise day. Thanks again to those who offered suggestions of things to do. :)

You'll need a car to get to Issaquah from Seattle.

Bummer! That's okay though. My sister shortened our stay over in the Emerald city to 1 1/2 days instead of 2 1/2 as she has to report to school for teacher meetings that week and needs travel recovery time.

Archived