dress code?

seabourndt

just wondered where info was as going o 3 day trip monday on orchestra. do i need take a suit?

dave

Dave, We were on the Orchestra three weeks ago for a seven day cruise. The formal nights were on our two sea days. For the first time after many cruises, instead of a suit or tux, I brought a navy blue blazer and it was fine. We saw everything from jeans and sports shirts to tuxedos on formal night, so do what you feel comfortable in, they don't enforce the dress code. Have a great trip.

if there are no formalnights are the others casual and ??? jacket and suit ot just tie, please.

dave[/quote

I wouldn't even bother with a suit or tie. On the nights that were not formal I wore a sport shirt as did just about every other guy in the dining room.

if there are no formalnights are the others casual and ??? jacket and suit ot just tie, please.

dave[/quote

I wouldn't even bother with a suit or tie. On the nights that were not formal I wore a sport shirt as did just about every other guy in the dining room.

I'm sure it's no longer a 'requirement', but I still like to imagine that it's important, or relevant.

Sometimes, I'd rather not bother, but for our upcoming January cruise with our grandkids, we would prefer to set a high-water mark with regard to formal wear, lest a generation misses the value and fun of dressing up.

Guess I'm outdated!

I'm sure it's no longer a 'requirement', but I still like to imagine that it's important, or relevant.

Sometimes, I'd rather not bother, but for our upcoming January cruise with our grandkids, we would prefer to set a high-water mark with regard to formal wear, lest a generation misses the value and fun of dressing up.

Guess I'm outdated!

I would normally agree. However, with airlines charging for luggage we ended up paying more in luggage fees than we did for the air tickets on last years cruise. This year we decided to leave the tuxes at home and my son and I wore navy blue blazers white shirts and ties. We were more dressed up than many in the dining room, including our table mates. Even with the cutting back I still ended up paying over five hundred dollars in luggage fees! Additionaly, I don't believe MSC portrays a formal atmosphere in either the decor or their service. Have a great cruise and enjoy your time with your grandchildren.

it was both casual nights so that saved a lot of baggage. i have a msc card but they cannot put on my cruise i did in 1997 anyone else had the same problem? i met someone who has a gold card so if you have someone in msc to help it is a good idea. waiting to hear if i am lucky

dave

So are we saying then for an 11 nighter in Europe that it's 3 formal (best bib & tucker) and the rest (smart) casual - nothing in between.....which certainly helps with the planning......but stops OTT shopping sprees? ;)

• 2 weeks later...

We're not really unsociable but, due to busy life styles we would prefer to eat on our own on our cruise. Are there tables for two? It seems men can wear sports jackets for formal evenings, could women wear black trousers & "pretty" tops? (I hate long dresses!!).

We're not really unsociable but, due to busy life styles we would prefer to eat on our own on our cruise. Are there tables for two? It seems men can wear sports jackets for formal evenings, could women wear black trousers & "pretty" tops? (I hate long dresses!!).

There are tables for two as there was one right next to ours on the Orchestra. However, you don't always get what you request. We requested a table for four and ended up at a table for eight. My wife wore those fancy pants that look like a skirt on formal nights (she would be so proud of me for remembering;)), and she looked fine.

• 2 weeks later...

For the 11 day cruise you have the correct info, 3 formal, some smart casual(jkt not necessary & the rest casual. MSC does not offer many options for evening dining at the buffet, hrs very limited & nothing elaborate. Most people seem to want the early dining, so getting a table for 2 much better on late dining & almost a sure thing.

• 2 weeks later...

Archived