tours for machu picchu

mylove

Thanks. That puts a whole new slant on things. I haven't worked up the flight itinerary fully, but that would be a way to go. California to Lima-Cuzco-MP-Cuzco-Lima-BA. This is our "retirement" cruise, so we would have the time.

Speaking of cold weather gear. I would assume that we would need something like that to go to Cuzco and MP. We were going to take our Silk long johns anyway.

Couple of things: MP/Cusco-rarely gets to freezing. It is COOL, but not really cold, year round. It will be COLD around the Horn. Your trip is going into winter season. I was at Cape Horn in February 2002. It SNOWED on the deck. Not much, but enough to cover the deck and make everyone wish they had warmer clothes. It is VERY windy in Southern SA and can FEEL VERY cold (even though the temp was only 45). I have been on two around the Horn cruise, one repo from FLL to Valparaiso and a month long expedition to Antarctica (what a trip).

Unless you find a heck of a bargain, you are far better off booking California/Lima, a stopover for a few days, then Lima/BA. Separate ticket from LIM/CUZ/LIM. When you add the Cusco trip to a US itinerary, it seems to jack the price considerably. I fly either LAX or JFK 4 times per year to Santiago or Lima. Sometimes I fly LAX/DFW/SCL or LIM (I fly AA or LAN but there are other options, especially if you have extra time)

I do international logistics planning for a living but run a small import business out of Cusco/Puno on the side. Hence, the trips to Cusco. I rarely find the same price trying to book as one trip-LAX/LIM/CUZ/LIM/SCL as I do LAX/LIM/SCL/LAX and a separate ticket to Cusco. Post your dates and I will try to help with airl

If you fly to SA with LAN or AA, you can get the LAN SA Pass for internal flights, such as LIM-CUZ-LIM-BA for much less. Check LAN.com. They have a little planner for the flights that will give you the prices. I think there is a minimum requirement of three flights.

By the way, LAN is an excellent airline. We used the pass to go SCL-Easter Island and BA-Iguazu

If you fly to SA with LAN or AA, you can get the LAN SA Pass for internal flights, such as LIM-CUZ-LIM-BA for much less. Check LAN.com. They have a little planner for the flights that will give you the prices. I think there is a minimum requirement of three flights.

By the way, LAN is an excellent airline. We used the pass to go SCL-Easter Island and BA-Iguazu

Great suggestion. I always forget about the SA Pass even though I fly LAN or AA religiously. I hardly ever meet the 3 flights mini requirement.

This would work PERFECTLY for ehall1. Book the main flight into BA and use the SA Pass for all internal flights.

Thanks for the great tips. This may be the retirement cruise but it doesn't hurt to save some money when I can. We are/have been poor working slobs. That sounded good to even say that. WOW!:D

Archived