Carnival Chief Urges U.S. to Lift Travel Advisory

gottago2mexico

The head of Carnival Cruise lines has written a letter to President Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton urging them to revise the travel warning against Mexico.

http://www.travelweekly.com/article3_ektid194464.aspx

Other reports indicate that they will be back to Mexico as soon as the warning is lifted.

The rationale they use in the article is identical to much of what many people have been pointing to for weeks.

Nice to see somebody with some pull getting involved...hopefully others will follow.

I don't think anyone reading Mr. Arison's comments (or similar comments from people who make their living in the travel/tourism to Mexico business) will be surprised by their content.

Cruise passengers and the cruise lines have been hard-hit by the medical emergency declared by the Mexican government. Mexico felt, and feels, that the problem was serious enough to virtually shut down all public gatherings in a huge portion of the country - actions which have been lauded by the scientific community - and that government has still not given the "green light" across the board because the influenza is making its way north in Central Mexico and scientists earlier in the week announced they believe the dangerous new influenza strain has further strengthened and mutated in Mexico.

The travel advisories - issued following Mexico's declaration of a public health emergency and the unprecidented action that government took in response - continue to provide an important public service as Mexico and the world community learns more about the influenza, the present and long-term risks and develops plans that may result in controlling its spread not only now but in the Fall 2009 influenza season.

Those thoughts are not the unfounded opinion of Carnival or anyone else in the travel business - he is citing expert scientific opinions of the UN, WHO and PAHO. Have yet to see a citation from any of your assertions on this subject, gomexico, and they keep being contradicted by the facts.

TODAY'S HEADLINES

Argentina Drops Ban on Mexico Flights

http://www.nasdaq.com/aspx/stock-market-news-story.aspx?storyid=200905141635dowjonesdjonline000718&title=argentina-renews-suspended-flights-tofrom-mexico-official

Mexico Flu Slowing, Death Toll Unlikely to Hit 100

http://www.insurancejournal.com/news/international/2009/05/14/100486.htm

Switzerland Drops Flu Travel Advisory for US, Mexico

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30450877/

PAHO: It is safe to travel to Mexico

http://www.mexico-update.com/wb/mexupdate/mexu_It_is_safe_to_vacation_in_Mexico_PAHO

Flu Fears Fading

http://www.lmtonline.com/articles/2009/05/14/news/doc4a0c14218d68b580104420.txt

I sincerely hope the ban will be lifted.

I have seen reports that in Mexico about 65 people are confirmed to have died by this flu.

Let us be honest, how much is this in percentage on the total mexican population?????

Maybe some of them had a bad condition already?

I think more people have died by e.g. car-accidents during that same time.

In The netherlands we had 3 cases, all recovered.

Lots of people in Mexico lost their jobs because hotels are closing, touroperators hardly have business, staff is sent home. Of course without any income!

Also I think it is strange that I read on this board that this same flu is now in the USA -Westcoast, even Canada and some schools closed. But nobody advises not to travel there.....like they did to Mexico.

Maybe even staff of one or more cruiseships might have this flu....

I sincerely hope the ban will be lifted.

I have seen reports that in Mexico about 65 people are confirmed to have died by this flu.

Let us be honest, how much is this in percentage on the total mexican population?????

Maybe some of them had a bad condition already?

I think more people have died by e.g. car-accidents during that same time.

In The netherlands we had 3 cases, all recovered.

Lots of people in Mexico lost their jobs because hotels are closing, touroperators hardly have business, staff is sent home. Of course without any income!

Also I think it is strange that I read on this board that this same flu is now in the USA -Westcoast, even Canada and some schools closed. But nobody advises not to travel there.....like they did to Mexico.

Maybe even staff of one or more cruiseships might have this flu....

I agree.....When people throw out the numbers of deaths in Mexico I ask how much access did those people have to Medical care?? Before any one flames me, I KNOW medical care down in Mexico is great, I also suspect that many of the very poor do not have immendiate access to it.

I can not believe that the cruise ships rerouted their ships away from West Coast of Mexico where (at the time) there were no confirmed cases and instead took the ships into areas where the flu was confirmed with many cases!!

What you've linked is the same as the travel business people posted which started this particular discussion thread. I don't see much in the way of "good news" for Mexico in that linked article.

The Mexican tourism secretary has reported that approx. 275 cruise ships that would have stopped in Mexico will have bypassed Mexican ports by the time mid-June rolls around - and when you multiply the average number of passengers per ship the numbers of people - tourists - affected is huge.

The decision of other nations responding to the influenza thread have been driven by what Mexicans and the Mexican government has said and done. Political and special interest pressure from foreigners should take a back seat to what the scientific/medical community says on this matter, and by the actions of the Mexican government which still identifies the influenza outbreak as a national emergency.

I doubt that many people who haven't already booked cruises to Mexico are particularly interested in visiting Mexico until all of the influenza matters are sorted out. It's those people who have had their plans substantially altered who I feel the most for.

Though I'm sympathetic towards people who suffer economically because of natural and other disasters, my travel plans are decided based upon what's best for my own particular interest, first.

The number of cases of this influenza and the deaths resulting from it in Mexico are considered by most reports I've read to be 4 or 5 times what the "official" or "verifiable" count is - and the speed at which it has raced across Mexico and other countries, and in particular the quick death it's brought to many of the affected in Mexico is why the WHO, CDC and other agencies have responded so strongly . . . and why the Mexican government took such drastic action. The advisories of USA-related agencies are just that, advisories. Some other foreign governments, however, have blocked transit to/from Mexico which is a much more drastic measure that the moderate approach urged by in the USA.

If people honor the requests of the medical/scientific communities it's believed the danger posed by this particular new strain of influenza will be moderated and that a resurgance of the influenza which is expected in coming months, particularly in the Fall of 2009, are expected to be less. Sometimes we're asked to do things for the best interest of society, and Mexicans have themselves certainly demonstrated what's probably an unprecidented quick response time and measures designed to prevent further spread of the influenza. Foreigners interested in taking a vacation in Mexico should display the same level of responsibility.

This too shall pass.

You seem to forget that at the moment apparantly more "Flu" patients are in the USA and Canada, whre also some schools are closed.

Still people from all over the world are travelling around there while at the same time there is (or was?) an advise not to go to Mexico. People arriving by flights from Mexico get information about possible signs of illness, this is not done to those arriving from the USA. This to me seems very strange.

In Europe we are told that the flu might be back after summer when temperatures are going down. This sounds strange since temperatures in mexico and e.g. southern california were and are much higher when it all started.

Without denying it might be dangerous, I still feel there is too much negative publicity that makes people very ( maybe too) anxious.

I am not trying to enter into a debate on the safety of traveling to Mexico, as I do respect and understand everyone’s decision and concerns, particularly based on governments’ advisories and the media. However, I just want to give you a different point of view, a point of view from someone who lives in Mexico.

I am Mexican, I live in Mexico City with my wife and our two little kids; my parents, brothers and many other relatives and close friends also live here. While there has been an emergency, life in general has now returned to normal. We live very happy here; my kids are back in school, my wife and I go everyday to work as usual; tomorrow we are having lunch with friends at a restaurant and in two weeks we will be in Puerto Vallarta for a few days. None of us have been infected, and of course we are taking every measure to avoid getting infected, but we now know that as soon as we feel the symptoms we should go to the doctor to be checked, and if found to be infected, to get the appropriate treatment.

Most infections were found in Mexico City and in central Mexico, which is where we live and where we are having a normal and happy life. At the beginning of the emergency nobody knew for sure what this virus was and of its potential. Also, many people did not go to the doctor when they felt the symptoms. A very bad practice we Mexicans have, is that we avoid going to the doctor until we feel really bad; we just feel that if we take two Aspirins or Tylenol we will be fine, and this is wrong, really wrong.

I love my country and it hurts to see how many industries and people and families are suffering economically, particularly those in the tourism industry; the country as a whole will also suffer the economic consequences. I guess we should continue working very hard.

As I said, this is just to give you a different point of view. By no means is this intended to question anyone’s decision to travel to Mexico.

I am not trying to enter into a debate on the safety of traveling to Mexico, as I do respect and understand everyone’s decision and concerns, particularly based on governments’ advisories and the media. However, I just want to give you a different point of view, a point of view from someone who lives in Mexico.

I am Mexican, I live in Mexico City with my wife and our two little kids; my parents, brothers and many other relatives and close friends also live here. While there has been an emergency, life in general has now returned to normal. We live very happy here; my kids are back in school, my wife and I go everyday to work as usual; tomorrow we are having lunch with friends at a restaurant and in two weeks we will be in Puerto Vallarta for a few days. None of us have been infected, and of course we are taking every measure to avoid getting infected, but we now know that as soon as we feel the symptoms we should go to the doctor to be checked, and if found to be infected, to get the appropriate treatment.

Most infections were found in Mexico City and in central Mexico, which is where we live and where we are having a normal and happy life. At the beginning of the emergency nobody knew for sure what this virus was and of its potential. Also, many people did not go to the doctor when they felt the symptoms. A very bad practice we Mexicans have, is that we avoid going to the doctor until we feel really bad; we just feel that if we take two Aspirins or Tylenol we will be fine, and this is wrong, really wrong.

I love my country and it hurts to see how many industries and people and families are suffering economically, particularly those in the tourism industry; the country as a whole will also suffer the economic consequences. I guess we should continue working very hard.

As I said, this is just to give you a different point of view. By no means is this intended to question anyone’s decision to travel to Mexico.

Thank you for posting this :) It is what my friends in Puerto Vallarta have been saying this past few weeks ...have a great vacation in my favourite city :)

You seem to forget that at the moment apparantly more "Flu" patients are in the USA and Canada, whre also some schools are closed..

Most of the influenza cases in the United States have been tracked to persons who returned from Mexico - where there's still a state of emergency in some states. If you're concerned about this particular influenza and had a trip planned to areas of the USA where there's been a particularly strong outbreak - including the New York City metropolitan area - then maybe you'd want to choose another destination and I'd understand that.

Still people from all over the world are travelling around there while at the same time there is (or was?) an advise not to go to Mexico. People arriving by flights from Mexico get information about possible signs of illness, this is not done to those arriving from the USA. This to me seems very strange

One or more country that's a popular destination for travelers arriving from the USA, including passengers who've transited through the USA after having been in Mexico, are screening these USA originating passengers. The situation in parts of Mexico was and still is very serious.

In Europe we are told that the flu might be back after summer when temperatures are going down. This sounds strange since temperatures in mexico and e.g. southern california were and are much higher when it all started.

You're being told the same thing people in the rest of the world are being told. Mexico's a country with many different climates - not all of Mexico is hot or hot and humid. It's not uncommon for it to be relatively cold in Mexico City and other mountainous areas of the country overnight and then rise to 75F during the daytime. The flu is believed to have started in Mexico, or made it's presence obvious, as early as late-February or early-March when it is cold/cool in areas. In Toluca, the state of Mexico, it can be very cold and at times it snows. Big country, big swings in weather conditions.

Without denying it might be dangerous, I still feel there is too much negative publicity that makes people very ( maybe too) anxious.

I think most people - other than who have been affected by their ship's itinerary having been changed, or those who earn a living in Mexico from cruise passengers/tourists - will say they think the public information about this new and reportedly dangerous strain of influenza has not been overblown. People who's "ox" is being gored almost always complain about the "media." The "media" coverage outside of Mexico is far more subdued than what's appearing in the Mexican national media. This is a serious influenza and the media sources and various government agencies which first raised the threat levels did so in the public interest and should be congratulated for doing so rather than having people throw rocks at them . . .for doing precisely what their jobs are. If anything, the mischaracterizations and/or false information circulated on this and other travel forums by people who have a vested financial interest in making the issue go away should be where the lights of suspicion shine - not on a free press and committed government and NGO scientists. We should be "anxious" about all of this - and if we remain so maybe we'll all take more precaution, for this or other influenzas or illnesses.

I think most people - other than who have been affected by their ship's itinerary having been changed, or those who earn a living in Mexico from cruise passengers/tourists - will say they think the public information about this new and reportedly dangerous strain of influenza has not been overblown. People who's "ox" is being gored almost always complain about the "media." The "media" coverage outside of Mexico is far more subdued than what's appearing in the Mexican national media. This is a serious influenza and the media sources and various government agencies which first raised the threat levels did so in the public interest and should be congratulated for doing so rather than having people throw rocks at them . . .for doing precisely what their jobs are. If anything, the mischaracterizations and/or false information circulated on this and other travel forums by people who have a vested financial interest in making the issue go away should be where the lights of suspicion shine - not on a free press and committed government and NGO scientists. We should be "anxious" about all of this - and if we remain so maybe we'll all take more precaution, for this or other influenzas or illnesses.

Most of the people I talk to (both here in Canada and Puerto Vallarta) think this whole thing has been blown way out of the water, we are not seasoned cruisers nor do we work for the Travel Industy.

gomexico: You seem to know Mexico very well; however, I do not agree with most of your statements. Your description of the current situation of Mexico describes us as living in total chaos. That is not true! We are living a normal life here in Mexico City, believe me. Although we still have to be very careful, the worst of the emergency has passed. Please read my post above. We now know the elements of the virus and that it is not as dangerous as initially thought. Mexican and international media are always eager to find scandals, but today Mexican media is also urging for the lifting of travel restrictions imposed by some countries and the lifting of travel advisories. Actually, the CDC has just modified its travel advisory. By the way, April and early May are the warmest months of the year in Mexico City (not in the coast), even warmer than summer, since summer is the rainy season and temperatures normally drop a few degrees when it rains. As Ine is correctly saying, we should be very careful when the cold season arrives, fall and winter.

gomexico: You seem to know Mexico very well; however, I do not agree with most of your statements. Your description of the current situation of Mexico describes us as living in total chaos. That is not true! We are living a normal life here in Mexico City, believe me. Although we still have to be very careful, the worst of the emergency has passed. Please read my post above. We now know the elements of the virus and that it is not as dangerous as initially thought. Mexican and international media are always eager to find scandals, but today Mexican media is also urging for the lifting of travel restrictions imposed by some countries and the lifting of travel advisories. Actually, the CDC has just modified its travel advisory. By the way, April and early May are the warmest months of the year in Mexico City (not in the coast), even warmer than summer, since summer is the rainy season and temperatures normally drop a few degrees when it rains. As Ine is correctly saying, we should be very careful when the cold season arrives, fall and winter.

Exactly what I tried to write. I still feel the (bad and overdone) publicity has done a lot of harm, not only to the mexican people, also to those who intended to travel in Mexico.

Reading some reports the idea was given once you got the flu you would almost "drop-dead" right away. However the majority recovered with or without medicines. Compare the millions of people living in Mexico to those who died gives an extreme low percentage. I am sure more people died in those days because of other reasons.

When reports about this flu came out (I was in Mexico at that time), it sounded very alarming. Again every victim is one too many, but nobody knows how their health was before they got ill.

Screening passengers upon arrival at airports is crazy. A person can have a fever, but not a flu. Other persons will not have a fever yet, but maybe 1 or 2 days later. Look at what they did in Hongkong, very overdone !

Only by giving the correct information and advise to see a doctor when getting ill will help.

Like in other cases - use your common sense.

In Europe warnings are given for people travelling to South America, since it is winter there and lower temperatures. So how about going Alaska?

Most of the influenza cases in the United States have been tracked to persons who returned from Mexico

You should probably let the CDC know about this.

CDC: MOST CASES OF SWINE FLU HAVE NO LINK TO MEXICO

http://www.koaa.com/aaaa_top_stories/x586945767/CDC-Most-U-S-cases-of-swine-flu-have-no-link-to-Mexico

I think most people - other than who have been affected by their ship's itinerary having been changed, or those who earn a living in Mexico from cruise passengers/tourists - will say they think the public information about this new and reportedly dangerous strain of influenza has not been overblown.

Who knew there were so many cruise passengers and travel industry folks out there?

OHIO POLL - MEDIA SWINE FLU COVERAGE OVERBLOWN

http://columbus.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2009/05/04/daily22.html

QUINNIPAC POLL - MEDIA RESPONSE TO SWINE FLU OVERBLOWN

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stories/2009/05/04/daily5.html

THE SKY ISN'T FALLING

http://www.newsweek.com/id/197922

MEDIA NEEDS A FLU TUTORIAL

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090516/NATION/905160302/1020/rss09

TO HEAR THE MEDIA, SWINE FLU WAS FAR FROM ROUTINE

http://www.lowellsun.com/ci_12342214?source=rss

FLU OVERHYPED? SOME SAY OFFICIALS CALLED "SWINE"

http://www.kens5.com/latestnews/stories/KENS20090507-AP-SwineFluHype.28042cc.html

"OVERREACTION", SOME EXPERTS SAY

http://www.southtownstar.com/news/1558330,050509swinefolo.article

HYSTERIA OVER SWINE FLU IS THE REAL DANGER, SOME SAY

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/03/swine.flu.react/index.html?section=cnn_latest

If anything, the mischaracterizations and/or false information circulated on this and other travel forums by people who have a vested financial interest in making the issue go away should be where the lights of suspicion shine...

Among the people who apparently have a vested financial interest:

The World Health Organization (WHO), who say there is not (and never was) a rationale for travel restrictions

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/guidance/public_health/travel_advice/en/index.html

The US Dept of Homeland Security, who say swine flu is no worse than the regular flu

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/04/swine.flu.main/index.html

Mexican Health Secretary Cordova, who says swine flu is in it's phase of decline

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090503/ts_afp/healthflumexico_20090503201601

The CDC, WHO, FCO, and PAHO, who all state there is no reason not to travel to Mexico for most people.

I think it's pretty clear where the source of the misinformation is...

You should probably let the CDC know about this.

CDC: MOST CASES OF SWINE FLU HAVE NO LINK TO MEXICO

http://www.koaa.com/aaaa_top_stories/x586945767/CDC-Most-U-S-cases-of-swine-flu-have-no-link-to-Mexico

Who knew there were so many cruise passengers and travel industry folks out there?

OHIO POLL - MEDIA SWINE FLU COVERAGE OVERBLOWN

http://columbus.bizjournals.com/columbus/stories/2009/05/04/daily22.html

QUINNIPAC POLL - MEDIA RESPONSE TO SWINE FLU OVERBLOWN

http://www.bizjournals.com/pittsburgh/stories/2009/05/04/daily5.html

THE SKY ISN'T FALLING

http://www.newsweek.com/id/197922

MEDIA NEEDS A FLU TUTORIAL

http://www.detnews.com/article/20090516/NATION/905160302/1020/rss09

TO HEAR THE MEDIA, SWINE FLU WAS FAR FROM ROUTINE

http://www.lowellsun.com/ci_12342214?source=rss

FLU OVERHYPED? SOME SAY OFFICIALS CALLED "SWINE"

http://www.kens5.com/latestnews/stories/KENS20090507-AP-SwineFluHype.28042cc.html

"OVERREACTION", SOME EXPERTS SAY

http://www.southtownstar.com/news/1558330,050509swinefolo.article

HYSTERIA OVER SWINE FLU IS THE REAL DANGER, SOME SAY

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/03/swine.flu.react/index.html?section=cnn_latest

Among the people who apparently have a vested financial interest:

The World Health Organization (WHO), who say there is not (and never was) a rationale for travel restrictions

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/swineflu/guidance/public_health/travel_advice/en/index.html

The US Dept of Homeland Security, who say swine flu is no worse than the regular flu

http://edition.cnn.com/2009/HEALTH/05/04/swine.flu.main/index.html

Mexican Health Secretary Cordova, who says swine flu is in it's phase of decline

http://news.yahoo.com/s/afp/20090503/ts_afp/healthflumexico_20090503201601

The CDC, WHO, FCO, and PAHO, who all state there is no reason not to travel to Mexico for most people.

I think it's pretty clear where the source of the misinformation is...

Woo HOO :) Lets get back to healthy travel into Mexico :)

I so agree., with most of the Gomexico posts, how can one poster state so mexico (intheirname) and be so against Mexico in their posts??......:confused:

For the last few months I have wonder about this but the last few weeks it has become more and more real......:confused:

Archived