Pump it yourself?

In all but two US states, motorists are expected to pump their own gas. Since I live in one of the two exceptions, I'm curious if Canada follows the pump-it-yourself model, particularly in Quebec, PEI and NS where I'll be in the next week or two.

In all but two US states, motorists are expected to pump their own gas. Since I live in one of the two exceptions, I'm curious if Canada follows the pump-it-yourself model, particularly in Quebec, PEI and NS where I'll be in the next week or two.

While I'm not aware of any provinces (like NJ and OR do in the states) that prohibit pump yourself, a few municipal areas do prohibit it, such as Richmond BC (where Vancouver's airport is).

They usually offer both. Just make sure you look for a sign that says "self serve" and then you pump yourself. "Full Serve" means they will pump for you! You'll find both - but i noticed more self serve in PEI than in NS, but maybe that's just me.

Also be aware that many gas stations now want you to pay up front or pay at the pump, especially at night. In BC, that is the law 24 hours a day. For some reason, US credit cards often will not work in the pay at the pump machines. This is also true for Canadians trying to fill up in the US. So, you will have to go inside and pay first.

Viv

And the full serve pumps cost several cents per liter more, especially at a station that offers both. The price on the sign is generally the self serve price.

Also be aware that many gas stations now want you to pay up front or pay at the pump, especially at night. In BC, that is the law 24 hours a day. For some reason, US credit cards often will not work in the pay at the pump machines. This is also true for Canadians trying to fill up in the US. So, you will have to go inside and pay first.

Viv

We find that the only credit card problems we have at gas stations enroute to Florida occur when the pump requires a person to enter their zip code prior to pumping. When that occurs we have to go inside and be given a generic "zip code" to enter.

Canadian Irving Oil cards will not work at New England Irving stations for some reason but we have never had a problem with Visa and MC aside from the zip code one I mentioned.

Also, most of the stations in New Brunswick have self service pumps and the ones that offer a full service island next to the self serve ones will usually charge a bit more for the service.

Archived