Le Méridien Piccadilly (London)

I'm planning to stay here for 2 days pre-cruise. This is my first time to England. I hope this is a good location and hotel.

Question - can I take the subway (is that also called the "Tube"?) from Heathrow to this hotel with luggage and all?

If not would anyone care to suggest a better way of getting from Heathrow to this hotel?

Tips on getting from this hotel to the port in Dover would also be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, all!

Question - can I take the subway (is that also called the "Tube"?) from Heathrow to this hotel with luggage and all?

If not would anyone care to suggest a better way of getting from Heathrow to this hotel?

Most of your questions are answered by many existing threads in the British Isles forum, where the moderators may well move this thread anyway.

In general, you can take the Tube with luggage if:-

1. you can pick it up and carry all of it (or wheel it) in one go, without any shuttling backwards and forwards;
  2. you can move it several tens of yards along a flat surface in one go all at the same time and without stopping (easier with wheels);
  3. you can carry it up or down stairs to the equivalent of about one storey all at the same time and without stopping;
  4. you can keep a firm grip on all of it at the same time while going up or down an escalator.

If you can't satisfy all these requirements, the Tube with luggage is not for you.

If you can do the Tube, your hotel is easy because it's less than 100 yards from Piccadilly Circus Tube station, where you can get to from Heathrow without having to change trains.

Alternative methods of getting to your hotel, if the Tube isn't for you, include:-

• a proper licensed taxi ("black cab") from the cab rank at the airport;
  • train (Heathrow Express or the slower Heathrow Connect) to Paddington, then a cab;
  • coach to Victoria coach station, then a cab;
  • a shared shuttle service like dot2dot;
  • a private car/"minicab" transfer.

The pros and cons of all of these are discussed on the British Isles forum.

BTW, I understand it is a very nice hotel, so I hope you enjoy it. It is certainly in a great location.

Tips on getting from this hotel to the port in Dover would also be greatly appreciated.
Again, this is a topic extensively discussed in the British Isles forum.

Thank you.

My problem - Our group of 10 include a 2 and 4 year old, so using the Tube would avoid the problem of not having child seats. However, judging from your criteria - specifically about the steps, the tube might not be good since we will use a stroller.

Do cabs there require a 2 year old to have child seats (restraint seats) for cabs? If so, taking a coach then cab would present a similar problem.

However, judging from your criteria - specifically about the steps, the tube might not be good since we will use a stroller.

Do cabs there require a 2 year old to have child seats (restraint seats) for cabs? If so, taking a coach then cab would present a similar problem.

Yes, I think that the Tube would be difficult with luggage and a stroller - or, indeed, even with a 4 year old who can't carry their own luggage.

To cut a long story short, children don't have to be in car seats in taxis. If they're not using a car seat, they cannot sit in the front. If they are three years old and above, they must use an adult seat belt. More details on this page.

However, as there are ten of you, a privately-arranged minibus transfer might be the most sensible solution. It's certainly worth looking at, to see what the cost might be. The best comparison might be against the cost of three taxis, which should be about £50 x 3 = £150. Hiking from the terminal to the coach, if you are thinking of getting that into town, could present its own irritations if you've got small children in tow - but the ease and length of that depends on which terminal you're arriving at.

Archived