Where to get bus to ACCRA beach?

Dgonza

I was wondering where to go to catch the bus to Accra beach? Is the snorkelling any good at accra beach? Also where can I go to see turtles on my own without doing a shore excursion? Thanks!

I was wondering where to go to catch the bus to Accra beach? ===> Across town from the Port.

Is the snorkelling any good at Accra beach? ===> There is a spot..the offshore breakwater!

Also, where can I go to see turtles on my own without doing a shore excursion? ===> You want West Coast.

Turtles are a West Coast thing. Accra's on the South.

Most snorkelling is on the West Coast. Accra's on the South.

West Coast is easier bus-accessible, due to their terminal being quite close to the Port

whereas the routes that go South Coast emanate from another bus terminal right across the other side of town

-a walk of at least 1.5 miles from the pier!

Take a taxi out to Accra: bus it back. ;)

We walked from the dock to the bus station (10 minutes walk straight up the road past the Pelican Crafts Centre), bought coupons for the bus from the yellow building and jumped on the bus to Folkestone Marine Park. Took about 25 minutes to get there. Then went into the office and asked about seeing the turtles. A guy rocked up a couple of minutes later - it was US$30 for two and a half hours. Unfortunately we cruised back down the coast towards Paynes Bay to snorkel with the turtles (and what felt like the rest of the Carnival Victory) - it was jumping and the guy said it was a quiet day (one ship in).

It was pretty cool snorkelling with the turtles, but we've seen them in better (read more natural surroundings), far less crowded places (with no one else but us) and the screaming/pushy Carnival crowd but a dampner on it for us. Worthwhile if you haven't seen turtles before though. We saw both Hawsbill and Greens that day. The wreck snorkelling on the way back was a waste of time.

Check it out at http://westwater-adventures-barbados.com/tours.html

so was the turtle snorkelling from paynes bay? Could you have taken the bus to paynes bay instead of Folkstone? How easy is it to go via bus from Paynes bay to Accra/rockley? Why was the shipwreck a waste of time? I was actually thinking about doing the excursion with the company you named....but if I can see the turtles on my own I would much rather do that.

• 2 weeks later...
Turtles are a West Coast thing. Accra's on the South.

Most snorkelling is on the West Coast. Accra's on the South.

West Coast is easier bus-accessible, due to their terminal being quite close to the Port

whereas the routes that go South Coast emanate from another bus terminal right across the other side of town

-a walk of at least 1.5 miles from the pier!

Take a taxi out to Accra: bus it back. ;)

Aplmac,

Have really enjoyed your posts on a number of threads. My DH and I are first time cruisers on AOS will be in Barbados in Sept. 09. We want to go to Accra Beach. You said taxi there, bus back. Where would we catch a bus back? Would it take us to the port terminal or would we be better off just arranging for a taxi to pick us up and take us back?

Really have appreciated all your suggestions, instructions, and pride of place!

Mike and Dixie

Im back from my cruise......took the bus to Paynes.....swam out 100-150 yds and snorkelled with the turtles......the organized tours take people to Paynes to snorkel with the turtles. Relaxed on the beach for a while.....Then hopped on the bus took it direct to Rockley beach. Had the flying fish sandwich which was phenominal.......walked along the boardwalk, swam.....caught the bus back to bridgetown.....walked through town about a mile or so back to port. It was a great time. The bus is only $0.75 USD per person. Great deal compared to the Taxis trying to make a quick buck.

• 2 weeks later...
Im back from my cruise......took the bus to Paynes.....swam out 100-150 yds and snorkelled with the turtles......the organized tours take people to Paynes to snorkel with the turtles. Relaxed on the beach for a while.....Then hopped on the bus took it direct to Rockley beach. Had the flying fish sandwich which was phenominal.......walked along the boardwalk, swam.....caught the bus back to bridgetown.....walked through town about a mile or so back to port. It was a great time. The bus is only $0.75 USD per person. Great deal compared to the Taxis trying to make a quick buck.

So when you bus back from Rockley to the pier, the bus stop is about a mile walk back to the ship?? Are there little shops along that stretch?

So when you bus back from Rockley to the pier,

the bus Terminal is about a mile walk back to the ship?? ===> Yes, that's correct

Are there little shops along that stretch? ===> Yes.

It may be a little more than a mile back to the ship...

You'll be walking right across Bridgetown, megalopolis that it is :D :D

and you'll pretty much walk the length of our main shopping area Broad Street, en route

so that should make it easier...a few airconditioned thermal-relief breaks along the way

...and then there's Pelican Village a little further on, as you draw closer to the Port.

Save some money for them ;)

Archived