Just curious

I had never thought about this before just wondering after my cruise last week :- do the entertainers who peform one nighters on a 10 night cruise such as the Elton John or Celine Dion tribute acts stay on board for the whole trip, or do they get off at the next port of call to fulfill other engagements. It would seem to me that RCI would have to pay them big bucks to make it worth their while to work 2 nights in 20, but I guess the alternative of flying them to cerain ports woulr be expensive as well.

As I say I am just wondering......!!

When we were on Marienr in SEpt there was a Beatles trubute band, they got off at one stop to go to another ship.

We also had a Beatle's Tribute Band in Barcelona, but Navigator is the only RCCL ship there so I wondered the same thing. They performed one night out of five and were on the previous five night cruise, so I assume they just stayed on the ship.

I would imagine they would get off and free the cabin for a replacement entertainer.

I know that on a 7 day cruise, people like the comdedian will get onboard, on say a wednesday and stay for a week, that way thay can do 2 shows for the first set of guests and 2 shows for the replacement guests and be paid for 1 week, wednesday to wednesday

The artists will have been booked through an agency and their schedules wil be predetermined over a set period of time. In order to maximise their fees they will minimise their on board time as much as possible so the room turnover is fluid. I know on Jewel they were roomed on deck 10.

My Aunt inquired about a repeat performance of a guest entertainer last year, they told her the guests only spend one night onboard.

I'd love to sail on QM2 in June, when James Taylor is performing on the crossing. He wouldn't be able to get off :) His ex, Carly Simon, did the same a few years ago, I didn't get to be on that crossing either, but do have a wonderful DVD of her time onboard.

On our April 4 Indy cruise this year, one of the headliners (Dominick Allen of Foreigner) stayed on board for a couple of days after his performance because we saw him several times with his family. His show was near the end of the cruise (and we were at sea the rest of the trip), so he might have decided to just stay on board and enjoy some relaxing time with his family. Besides, there was no way for him to get off the ship unless he took a helicopter. Nice guy by the way - and very talented!

I was reading a thread on here about entertainers working cruise ships. It was a hectic schedule they get on mid week do a show get off one ship and fly to catch another one. Always on the go.I think there are some video of this also on you tube.

The Beatles tribute were on Brilliance in April. They played a couple of nights before the end of the cruise, then stayed onboard. They were in Barcelona airport with us waiting for the flight home- kind of shattered the illusion!

So I'm thinking it must be best for acts like that not to be on the ship before they perform, as it would be strange for passengers to see a tribute act with members they already knew through talking in the bars, etc.

That said, I knew a guy here in Southampton who did a George Michael tribute on Celebrity and I think Ocean Village. He used to fly out for a week at a time to perform at the end of one sailing and the beginning of another, which confirms what another poster has mentioned above.

It's an interesting subject. The logistics of it must be a nightmare!

Yes, I agree it must be a hectic schedule for the headliners travelling from ship to ship and a major logistics job for RCI, you can just imagine co-ordinating flights and ship arrivals times along with the possibilities of flight cancellations and ships not being able to dock, but I'm sure that RCI have it down to a fine art..

In the Caribbean you'll frequently see the guest performers get on in the first port (say San Juan) perform that night, get off at another port (say St. Maarten) and then board another RCCL ship when it visits that port.

Archived