Vatican Gardens

Can someone give me advice as to whether it is possible to get to the Vatican from Civitavecchia in time to do the daily 90 min. tour (at 10:00 I believe). Their website says they are open from 9-12 noon (latest entranc) only but it appears the tour is only at a set time. I've found on different threads where you can get a reservation but I don't know if we can make it there in time. We are in port 7am - 7 pm. The ship excursions don't really give you any timeframes as to when they leave and get back (just an overall length of trip). Has anyone successfully booked this - and is it worth it? I think my DH would enjoy this more than the cathedral and it takes less time....gotta cover a lot of stuff in short time!

Thanks...sounds like with some planning we could make it...now I want to know if it's worth it? Any one done the tour? Visited w/o doing the tour?

When are you planning on going? I have made reservations to see the Vatican Garden on June 20th. I can give you a report when I get back.

About 4 years ago my wife and I did the Vatican Gardens. It is not the Vatican Museum. The museum is separate. You can only get into the Vatican Gardens, (which is an amazing tour of the Vatican grounds), with a reservation and it is with a Vatican Tour guide. The tour starts at the vatican museum but does not include the museum. The lines for the Vatican Museum are usually blocks and blocks long. If you have a reservation for the Vatican Gardens you do not have to stand in line. You go in the exit of the Museum and they will get your information and pair you up with a tour guide. If I remember correctly it started at about 10:00 a.m. and we did not complete the tour until after 2:00 p.m. If you do the Vatican Gardens tour you would not be able to do the Vatican Museum on the same day. The Vatican Gardens tour was one of the most amazing things I have done in my life. If I ever get back to Rome I would set up the tour again. Have a wonderful time.

About 4 years ago my wife and I did the Vatican Gardens. It is not the Vatican Museum. The museum is separate. You can only get into the Vatican Gardens, (which is an amazing tour of the Vatican grounds), with a reservation and it is with a Vatican Tour guide. The tour starts at the vatican museum but does not include the museum. The lines for the Vatican Museum are usually blocks and blocks long. If you have a reservation for the Vatican Gardens you do not have to stand in line. You go in the exit of the Museum and they will get your information and pair you up with a tour guide. If I remember correctly it started at about 10:00 a.m. and we did not complete the tour until after 2:00 p.m. If you do the Vatican Gardens tour you would not be able to do the Vatican Museum on the same day. The Vatican Gardens tour was one of the most amazing things I have done in my life. If I ever get back to Rome I would set up the tour again. Have a wonderful time.

Can you give a few details about what you see on the tour? I'm not that into gardens, but if you get to see some of the interior buildings or areas, it might be worth doing on my next visit to Rome....

Contact RomeInLime tour company www.romeinlimo.com they can arrange private tours. They are well worth it.

Although I don't doubt RomeInLimo is good, I'm not sure they would be needed for this, as guided tours are only given by the Vatican and you can easily order the tickets yourself online. (Ticket also includes the Vatican Museums/Sistine chapel, so you would not have to stand in line there either....)

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?action=booking&codiceTipoVisita=3&step=2

The ticket is 30 euro per person. Some private tours I googled are charging 3 times that for what basically amounts to arranging the ticket for you and providing transportation (within Rome, not even from the port...)

Thanks for the input. I realize that the gardens are completely different from the museum...I have been to the museum and my husband, who has not, doesn't really care one way or the other, but I thought he would like the gardens, which I couldn't see on my last (which was also my first!) trip as we were there on Weds. when they are closed. I had thought this would be a nice alternative - but less time-consuming (!) than the museum - so we could see something else! Now you have me worrying about that aspect of it! But it's great to know it's worth it...something to put into the mix of discussion!

The tour is the entire area of the Vatican. Although you do not go into any of the buildings. Most of the grounds are gardens that are set up by different countries and plants and designs that reflect that specific country. There are also numerous shrines and and artifacts.

Have a great trip.

Not til September, so that would be great! Much appreciated. Are you going to do the guided tour or just on your own?

The only way that you can see the Gardens is with a guided tour. I purchased our tickets directly through the Vatican. I belived that you can choose an option to also tour the Vatican after the garden tour. We will be doing a private 5 hour tour of the Vatican the day before our garden tour. We were able to get reservations for the Scavi Tour on Saturday at 1:45. We had to schedule a tour Saturday morning that would be close to the Vatican.The Vatican Garden Tour is perfect. It should be over with enough time for us to do the Scavi Tour.

Thanks....their website was a little vague....said they were open at 9, tour at 10, last entrance at 12...which sounded to me like you could wander on your own or take the 90 minute tour. I'll be anxious to see how it works on for you...have a great trip.

• 1 month later...

Archived