Oslo advice please?

I've just booked a last minute bargain 4 night cruise round trip from Oslo. We are flying out the day before the cruise, and staying 1 night at the Radisson plaza hotel. Would really appreciate help with these questions :)

1- I would rather get the train into town as it takes 19 mins, and the bus 53 mins. However could we get a taxi to take us from the train station to the hotel, or is the distance too short?

It might be walkable, but i'm travelling with my mother and with baggage I don't think it is possible.

2- Is there any public transport directly from the hotel to Vigeland Sculpture Park, or how much would a taxi be?

3- Is there any public transport directly from the hotel, to Akershus Castle or how much would a taxi be?

Is it possible to walk around on your own, or do they only offer guided tours?

4- How long approx is the taxi ride from the hotel to the port, to board the ship?

5- Lastly .... do all the ships set sail down the fjord when they leave Oslo?

How long does the pretty view last, we set sail at 5pm, so might need a late dinner, so we don't miss anything!

Thank you :D

How long does the pretty view last, we set sail at 5pm, so might need a late dinner, so we don't miss anything!

Yes, it's the only way out of Oslo! From memory, it takes something like two hours to get out of the fjord. But it's not as spectacular a fjord as the classic picture postcard ones further north, like Geiranger.

I've just booked a last minute bargain 4 night cruise round trip from Oslo. We are flying out the day before the cruise, and staying 1 night at the Radisson plaza hotel. Would really appreciate help with these questions :)

1- I would rather get the train into town as it takes 19 mins, and the bus 53 mins. However could we get a taxi to take us from the train station to the hotel, or is the distance too short?

It might be walkable, but i'm travelling with my mother and with baggage I don't think it is possible.

Looks too short to me, but I guess it would depend on local custom.

2- Is there any public transport directly from the hotel to Vigeland Sculpture Park, or how much would a taxi be?

Tram number 12 from Jernbanetorget stop to Vigelandsparken stop.

3- Is there any public transport directly from the hotel, to Akershus Castle or how much would a taxi be?

Bus number 60 from Bussterminalen Grønland stop to Akershusstranda stop.

Is it possible to walk around on your own, or do they only offer guided tours?

As far as I know, you are quite welcome to wander round by yourself.

4- How long approx is the taxi ride from the hotel to the port, to board the ship?

Think you'll be leaving from Filipstad. Would guess the taxi ride to be between 5 and 10 minutes.

Definitely. Like G says, it's the only way out.

bigwally covered most of this, but I have a couple things to add...

1. You'll probably need to walk to the hotel. It's just across the street from the station, but by the time you get out to a taxi stand, you're practically there anyway. And a taxi would be stuck looping around trying to get across the street. Look for signs around the station that point towards the bus terminal, because the Radisson is attached to the bus terminal.

3. You can also take the Trikk (tram) #12 from Jernbanetorget (in front of the train station) to Rådhusplassen, which is on the north side of the Akershus grounds. Access to the grounds is free to explore on your own. There is an admission fee for the castle itself, and you can visit on your own if you aren't there at the time of the guided tour.

4. I would guess that the taxi to the pier would take around 10 minutes. I'm not sure how long it will take to board the ship. Hopefully they've gotten the problems sorted out, because there were huge problems during the first embarkation of this season, and people were stuck waiting in line for hours. :eek:

Thanks very much to everyone for the replies.

kaisatsu -How long is the walk from the train station to the hotel - about 5 mins?

That is worrying about the previous problems boarding. Do you know if it was just the Royal Caribbean ship, or what the problems were at all?

Yes, I'd guess it's about 5 minutes. Most of the walk is actually just getting out of the station. The hotel is on the north side of the station, so if your train arrives on the southern tracks, it will take a few minutes more, and if you're on the northern tracks it would probably be a few less. Unfortunately, I've arrived on the Flytoget at both extremes.

I believe if you follow the signs for the bus terminal, you should be able to find the elevated sidewalks that lead across the street, and the hotel is just beyond the bus terminal:

If this link works, it's a view of the station and hotel (facing East). The train station is on the right, and the bridge leads over the street to the bus terminal. The hotel is the tall glass building just beyond.

Hotel is marked with a "K" (the one closest to the roundabout), to the top right on the picture below:

oslo_plaza.jpg

Great map. Do you have one from the Train station to the Grand Hotel? And also the Grand Hotel to the sculpture park? We plan to run there in the morning (possibly walk over in the evening so we know where we are going).

Btw, we did book the Grand through Hotels.com, got them to honor the lowest internet price they could verify ($221.00 US with tax and breakfast for 2). When I called back and they said they could not guarantee the room and we could end up in a twin, I emailed the hotel who confirmed our room and also said we were now confirmed for a King room and late arrival. The reports on Trip Adviser are so so, but so far I'm impressed with the quick response time and hopeful resolution direct with the hotel.

Thanks!

Great map. Do you have one from the Train station to the Grand Hotel? And also the Grand Hotel to the sculpture park? We plan to run there in the morning (possibly walk over in the evening so we know where we are going)

Think you'd be best looking your run up on Google Maps.

The Grand is on Karl Johans gate, more or less across from the public square in front of the Stortinget (parliament building). Not too far from the train station, and directly along Karl Johans gate from it by about 8 blocks (many are tiny European blocks). However, I'd personally think you'd need a cab if you have a fair amount of baggage, though you can get within a block on the trikk (tram).

Just one more question please. I have done a search of this forum, and I can't find the answer, but apologies if it's already been asked (im sure it has somewhere!)

Any idea how much a taxi back to the airport from the port would be?

Would another good option to be to take a taxi to the train station, then the train to the airport?

Thanks

Archived