Help for avoiding excursions through Nassau's poor sections

ms simba

I have never been to Nassau but my sister has been there many years ago. She said she was unhappy that the shore excursion she went on drove through the poorer sections of the town. I want to avoid doing that on my cruise in October 2009. So can you suggest any shore excursions for two older women (67 and 71) that will avoid these areas of Nassau? Also, I thought I read once that there were places were many homeless animals congregated - want to avoid these also.

Any information you can give me?

I have never been to Nassau but my sister has been there many years ago. She said she was unhappy that the shore excursion she went on drove through the poorer sections of the town. I want to avoid doing that on my cruise in October 2009. So can you suggest any shore excursions for two older women (67 and 71) that will avoid these areas of Nassau? Also, I thought I read once that there were places were many homeless animals congregated - want to avoid these also.

Go directly to Atlantis.. You'll fit right in. No chance of rubbing elbows with the locals.

Gosh, if that's the way you feel, you might want to just stay on the ship.

Poverty is sad. When on the excursion in Progreso, Mexico we drove 1.5 hours to get to the ruins and we saw loads of poverty. My understanding is that this is how it is outside of the US in poverty-stricken countries. My MIL went to Meridia, Mexico with her dad (70 and 91 years old) and they were dumbfounded and astounded at the poverty they saw.

That is just how it is. I don't think countries have "tourist highways" where you don't have to see anything that might upset you.

I agree with the others, stay on the ship (you will find MANY seasoned travelers HATE Jamicia and will stay on the ship) or go to Atlantis... my question is, though, would seniors enjoy Atlantis? (I've never been).

It's your money. If you don't want to be reminded of the sadder things in life while you're on vacation, you'll get no judgement from me. Vacation is not supposed to be reality, it's supposed to be an escape.

I don't know what your ship offers by way of city tours. The cabbies all line up waiting to be hired as tour guides, right by the ship. On the one hand, I'd wager you could talk any of them into a tour that didn't include the things you mentioned. On the other hand, it looked to me as if the cabbies touring through the bad sections was normal. Therefore, I wonder if you're going to have to pay for a private tour. And have no clue as to what that would cost. Can't hurt to try. If it doesn't work out, there are horse carriages for hire right near where the cabbies are. That is private, and I'm sure the driver wouldn't go into a bad section if you didn't want to.

Short of being blindfolded and taken directly to The Atlantis you will most certainly see some poor sections of town. I think perhaps you should stay on the cruiseship.

Take a cab to the Graycliff--Dine in the 5-star restaurant and take a tour of the 3rd largest collection of wine in the world. An amazing wine celler (you can purchase the tough through shoretrips). The lunch was over the top delicious. Then lounge by their pool--it's like being in a 40s movie set. Then walk next door to the Art Gallery of the Bahamas and learn a little about the people. Seeing their artistic heritage will, I think, help dimensionalize the people who populate this diverse chain of islands. To stay on the ship would be a shame when such a rich (albeit materially poor) culture awaits.

Just returned from our cruise that included Nassau. We ventured out on our own. This included getting lost trying to find the Queen's staircase and Fort Fincastle.

I was so utterly amazed at the great attitude of the locals. Not only were they very friendly, the were helpful also. EVERYONE would say hello or good morning to us as we walked down the street. When we even slightly appear to be looking for something, someone would step up and ask if we were lost or needed help.

When I asked a nicely dressed women which direction was the Queen's staircase, she insisted that she drive us. She was walking to her car to drive home. The Queen's Staircase was one her way home. We chatted on the way. She was a social worker for the Bahamian government. She shared various points of interest and fact about the Bahamas as she drove. Talk about service!

I had also talked to those giving the tours at Half Moon Cay. They were more than glad to give us information about where they lived and what their life was like in the Bahamas.

I cannot wait to go back to the Bahamas.

• 2 weeks later...

Just curious, why do you want to avoid the poor sections? Is it a safety issue or just that you don't want to think about "hard" things on vacation?

If you're worried about safety, there are lots of things to do in Nassau safely. Just follow the normal precautions (go in a group, keep your wallet in a safe place, don't carry a lot of money or expensive jewelry, don't go out at night).

I was just in Nassau and my mom and I (she's 68) did part of the walking tour together. We really enjoyed it. Did we see a (drunk?) man singing at the top of his lungs outside the library? Yes. Did it make things more interesting? Yes! But we didn't feel unsafe. And we didn't see any stray animals congregating anywhere.

All the people we met in the Bahamas were very friendly and helpful. I just feel sad when people go to such wonderful places and then stay on the ship.

I just now opened this thread...to be honest, out of curiosity.

Only thing I can add is that last trip we got on the #10A as opposed to the #10 Jitney. It wound up going the long way to the beach...through where the schools and businesses are, gas stations, groups by the roadside, etc. We saw kids playing King of the Mountain and ladies waiting to get their hair done...that kind of thing.

WHat can I say? Our group was so happy about the mix-up. It was great to be in the remote part of the city and not just in the very limited areas where most go.

It never occurred to us that it was bad, or unsafe or something to avoid....it was a bonus.

Keep in mind that we are all in elementary education and consider it our life's work to make a place for everyone...SO, we were thankful that the people on the bus made a place for us!

Archived