Cruising is Overwhelming

sherizel

thank goodness there have been a few posts from people who wear 2-3 outfits per day. I was starting to wonder if I was the only person who got dirty/sweaty and couldn't re-wear most things. I also like to wear something nicer to dinner than I wear hanging around the ship.

I think it's only over packing if you don't wear/use all or most of what you brought.

I agree with everyone who's saying that you should just do what you're comfortable with and you'll learn on this cruise how you'll want to pack for your next one. (and notice how no one here doubts that you WILL be taking another)

Do not ask me for help..........I average 20 pairs of shoes for a 7 nighter. Last 7 nighter I had it down to 11 pairs of shoes, ManHo was overjoyed!

I do not do laundry while on vacation and I change several times a day as well. I usually bring 4 to 5 swimsuits, 2 work out outfits, a different dress for dinner each night, 3 cover ups, 3 to 4 port outfits, two casual sea day outfits, a going home outfit........I'm a clothes and shoe horse!

I'm also uber prepared with the meds and first aid stuff. Power strip for sure.

Quit worrying, pack what you like and live and learn. Relax........your on VACATION!

I agree with everyone who's saying that you should just do what you're comfortable with and you'll learn on this cruise how you'll want to pack for your next one. (and notice how no one here doubts that you WILL be taking another)

Laughing! You are right, we all assumed that, including me! I think that's called projecting, lol.

Sherizel

I understand your concerns but please believe me when I say...you will need FAR less on the cruise than you think. I take less and less on each cruise and yet I STILL overpack. Do not fret! I strongly suggest that you do NOT take more than one suitcase. You will not need that much stuff. Pack a few of your favorite pieces of clothing and be done with it. Enjoy the excitement of your upcoming cruise! :rolleyes:

I also like to wear something nicer to dinner than I wear hanging around the ship.

This is where mixing and matching comes in for me. I never wear shorts to the dining room, but I could take one of the shirts I had on during the day, add a pair of khakis, dress it up with jewelry and my dressy sandals (one pair, neutral color) and call it good. I do tend to agree that it is only overpacking if you don't use every single thing you brought. And I also know that some people don't mind lugging 3 or 4 suitcases around. It's just not for me. I even got a week's worth of winter clothes into one 21" suitcase when we went to Germany in March using that same mix and match thing. I used to travel heavy as some have noted here, but since realizing how much I can use by buying things that mix and match, I've grown to love the 1 suitcase concept. So has DH! ;)

Do not ask me for help..........I average 20 pairs of shoes for a 7 nighter. Last 7 nighter I had it down to 11 pairs of shoes, ManHo was overjoyed!

I do not do laundry while on vacation and I change several times a day as well. I usually bring 4 to 5 swimsuits, 2 work out outfits, a different dress for dinner each night, 3 cover ups, 3 to 4 port outfits, two casual sea day outfits, a going home outfit........I'm a clothes and shoe horse!

I'm also uber prepared with the meds and first aid stuff. Power strip for sure.

Quit worrying, pack what you like and live and learn. Relax........your on VACATION!

Diva, you crack me up!!!

The best part about having a DH that is 6'5", 240 lbs is that he can lug all my luggage around without a complaint. He knows I overpack, I know I over pack, we're not harming anyone so what's the difference.

I know that I hardly wear everything I pack - but I still like to know that I could. DH is a smart packer, but I do get sick of seeing him in the same cover up T-Shirt every single day. :D

OP, I feel the exact same way!!!! We dont cruise for 300 days and change,and already DH is tired of hearing about it! He was appreciative about the no camo info, but other than that, he really don't care. Me, on the other hand... Im reading all I can! I over overpack for land trips, esp since I have kids. But Ive learned to travel, when Im alone, that less is more. I dont plan to take ducktape, but I do plan to take a clock, and a power cord. I joined this site with over a year to plan, and Im driivng myself, DH and TA nuts with all my questions! lol. When you get back, please let us who feel the same way know what you took and what worked out for you!!!

{BTW} kids are going to be at grandmas so it will just be me and DH

Absolutely not. That, the Nintendo DS and the powered fruit punch are absolutely essential. *ESPECIALLY* the flamethrower. I use it to toast annoying kids who screw with the elevators ... ;)

LMFBO!!! that is too funny. I'll keep the flame thrower and maybe add my cattle prod too if it will help contain unruly kids.

I have also decided to leave all my clothes at home and just take all those nifty gadgets ( duct tape, bungee cord, crazy glue, hamper, over the door shoe hanger, coffee maker, microwave oven, etc) who has room for clothes after all that.:D

Sarah- dont worry, i'll take the duct tape on our cruise next summer:)

I have also decided to leave all my clothes at home and just take all those nifty gadgets ( duct tape, bungee cord, crazy glue, hamper, over the door shoe hanger, coffee maker, microwave oven, etc) who has room for clothes after all that.:D

Don't know about the Crazy Glue, but I *do* pack nail glue. Not only for a quick fix on my pink-n-whites, but I've also had a temporary cap fall out and needed to replace it immediately (lest I be cruising with my summer teeth).

Some of us sleep in clothes, otherwise known as pajamas, and some of us sleep in the buff. Nothing wrong with either choice. :) I'm in the latter group - not that anyone asked, lol - but on the ship, I wore pajamas, well, just because. Something about being on a moving vessel with some 5,000 people, I guess. ;)

I used to be in the latter group, until one night, at 3am the phone rang to tell me there was a fire alarm in my section, and to report to my muster station....while stumbling around looking for some shorts to put on, and wondering if I needed a passport to enter a foreign country by lifeboat, I made the decision to start wearing p.j.'s while cruising....

The best part about having a DH that is 6'5", 240 lbs is that he can lug all my luggage around without a complaint. He knows I overpack, I know I over pack, we're not harming anyone so what's the difference.

I know that I hardly wear everything I pack - but I still like to know that I could. DH is a smart packer, but I do get sick of seeing him in the same cover up T-Shirt every single day. :D

The very first time my GF, now DW and I went away for a quick weekend, and she packed 3 suitcases and a garment bag, we made a deal: everyone carries their own luggage...amazing how little she needed for a two week cruise with that rule in effect.

The very first time my GF, now DW and I went away for a quick weekend, and she packed 3 suitcases and a garment bag, we made a deal: everyone carries their own luggage...amazing how little she needed for a two week cruise with that rule in effect.

She needs to get wheeled luggage. I have no problem wheeling my luggage around...........oh and the spinners are easy peasy!

Well, I learned to power pack before I married this current husband, who is 6'2" 240. However, while I know he would carry my bags for me, I just don't think it's right to MAKE him. I cannot speak for your husband, but even though my husband would likely never say a word, I have some idea he would be using some select words to describe me mentally if I had him lugging bags all over the place :eek: My best friend's husband even put her on Europe restriction until she learns to pack lighter, LOL. Evidently the over-packing addiction is worse than her desire to go to Europe right now, as she has not caved on that one :D

I wouldn't be so quick to discount ALL these suggestions as rediculous. We always have a bungee cord to hold the balcony door open. Never have taken the other things (some ARE rediculous of course) but don't be dissin' the bungee!!!;) We also bring our own coffee pot and power strip.

We bring our own power strip!! We use them to charge rechargable camera batteries, video cameras, cell phones/alarm clocks, portable DVD player, etc.

My mother in law did not bring one last time and was unable to use her C-PAP machine because the plug did not reach the desk to allow her to lay in bed and use the machine at night.

We found a 3 prong extension cord with 3 additional ports and it worked wonders. My mother in law ended up borrowing one from the pursers desk for a small deposit but had to return it the night before we disembarked (she had to use ours to sleep that night).

Angela

cruising is overwhelming?

stop. breathe. have a great time.

you have a travel agent to ask these questions of or at the least,

you have found the right site to ask us whatever you want to know.

Gosh you don't know how lucky you are to have discovered cruisecritic.com before your first cruise! ;)

We were on our First Cruise (Carnival Destiny, May 2007) when

at breakfast, I mentioned another website for reviews

to have a young lady at our table tell me about this cruisecritic thing :confused:

DiningRoom-935.jpg

Breakfast on board!

The name stuck in my head, but it wasn't until about 3 wks. after we got back

that I actually signed up to CC.

In that time I have multiplied my knowledge base at least a hundred-fold

as I suspect has everyone else in here!! :D

Enjoy.

I couldn't agree more with all the posts about packing too much, etc. I laugh thinking about my first cruise when I brought 15(!) pairs of shoes and 3 suitcases filled with matching short sets, formal wear, etc. Now my packing list includes bathing suits, a few coverups, shorts, and t-shirts, and sundresses for the evening. Flip flops, sandals (2 pairs) and tennis shoes are all the shoes I bring. It is a VERY casual atmosphere on board and pretty much anything goes. No one really cares or remember what you had on!

I have to say that all of my traveling group are in the minority here. We have enough clothes to outfit the whole ship. LOL. For me, it's not just about whether someone sees me in the same outfit as it is a hygiene issue. After returning last week from 7 day cruise with pre and post Miami days, I know that the heat of the days demand that I want to feel fresh and clean. I can't or won't redo tops and need to definitely change multiple times a day. However, I applaud and envy all of you who are able to do this, I just wouldn't feel clean putting on dirty clothing after refreshing my body. Just me... As a result on the flip side, we have a crapload of luggage and no matter how we try to minimize it never works.

For me, it's not just about whether someone sees me in the same outfit as it is a hygiene issue. After returning last week from 7 day cruise with pre and post Miami days, I know that the heat of the days demand that I want to feel fresh and clean. I can't or won't redo tops and need to definitely change multiple times a day. However, I applaud and envy all of you who are able to do this, I just wouldn't feel clean putting on dirty clothing after refreshing my body. Just me... As a result on the flip side, we have a crapload of luggage and no matter how we try to minimize it never works.

The only way I'll repeat a day time outfit is after it's been washed, that's why I take laundry det. and do a few loads while aboard the ship. Our workout wear is either sink-washed or machine washed every day. Evening wear is a different story, if I wear a pair of black slacks twice, they don't need to be washed unless I've spilled something. We've cut back on our luggage but not by much! :p

Ms B

Okay, I can go with duct tape, because you can fix almost anything with it. But do y'all really think it's necessary to take a CLOCK? I have a wristwatch, my cell phone clock has an alarm (as though I want to set an alarm on a vacation), and the TV will tell you what time it is...I think someone should also point out to the OP that every bit of suitcase that is stuffed with clothing is unavailable for smuggling booze...

I take a travel alarm that has a night light and I can see what time it is without turning on a TV and waking everyone in the room. It's lit, unlike my wristwatch. I won't even be turning on my cell phone once we get to Rome and I make that "arrived" call.

I still think the power strip and extension cord are a must. We had camera battery chargers, curling irons, and hair dryers while someone was using the one in the bathroom for electric toothbrush. More importantly, the way the plug was situated meant that my cell phone charge would not plug in no matter how I turned it (mirror above, and desk below).

As far as door decorations, if that's not your style consider some Mardi Gras beads or something to make your door stand out when you are coming down the hall. You can hang them or any decoration on the mailbox next to your door.

On my first cruise last year I was in an inside room with my mother and my 18 yr old son. The over-the-door organizer was a life saver for son and I. We were able to find our stuff easily all the time.

I brought 1 25" bag and a backpack. In wore about 2/3 of what I brought. My son brought a 21" and a backpack. My mom brought at 29" and a 21" and a large purse/duffle bag. And no, we did not have anything in her bags. I told her before we left she had way to much stuff, but what do I know.

This time I'm going by myself. I wil need nothing extra. I'm sticking with 4 colors, black, brown, white and turqouise. Old t-shirts for excursion days so I can toss them and have extra room for the return trip goodies. Half the underwear needed, I'll do wash. And an extra collapsable duffle bag that I can carry on if needed for the return. I'm even losing the 2 books I brought last time and bringing many more with my Kindle......Yippee!! Nothing is worse than starting a book, realizing you aren't enjoying it and have nothing else so u suffer through the reading. Problem solved now.

So I'm leaving for my first cruise in 25 days, yay! I am so overwhelmed. I'm trying to do a lot of research so I don't forget anything but it seems I need day clothes, evening clothes, workout clothes, formal clothes, swimwear and then everything from extension cords to duct tape to over the door contraptions to pop up hampers. Ugh, this is tiring.

How many pieces of luggage does one woman normally bring? I was just planning on brining a 21" carry on and a 29" upright suitcase but I think I may be over the 50 lb airline weight limit with all this stuff and if that's the case I need another piece of luggage.

Breathe in...breathe out...feel better?

Congrats on your first cruise. I hope you fall in love with cruising just like we did after our first. Number six is coming in only 147 short days.

I am not going to tell you what you should pack or not, but I will tell you what I learned over the years.

For our first cruise, I packed: seven shirts and seven shorts for daytime and excursions, five skirts and five tops for casual dinners, one formal floor-length skirt and beaded top and one formal gown for the formal nights, five pairs of sandals, one pair of dress shoes, three bathing suits, two cover-ups, flip-flops, sneakers, seven pairs of socks, and enough undies for a lifetime. I came home with half the clothes still folded.

For our fifth cruise, I packed three shirts and two pairs of shorts for daytime and excursions, one multi-colored skirt and three shirts to match for the five casual dinners, one floor-length skirt with one beaded top and one dressy top for the formal nights, two pairs of sandals, one pair of dressy shoes, two bathing suits and one cover-up, flip flops, sneakers, three pairs of socks, and enough undies for a lifetime. This time, I only had one shirt that I had not worn.

I spend sea days in my bathing suit, from when I get up to when I go shower in the afternoon. Actually, port days are the same. I'll put on some casual clothes for just a couple of hours before changing for dinner. Same thing next day, including wearing the clothes again, since I only had them on for a little while.

We have never taken an extension cord. I made my own flat roll of duct tape, which has just enough for an emergency. We have mesh laundry bags that live in the suitcases. We do bring a 12-pocket over-the-door shoe holder because we lost some items to the trash a couple of cruises ago so now we know where everything is. We do bring a bungee cord to hold the balcony door open. (Not necessary if you don't have a balcony cabin.) We do bring a very small alarm clock so we know what time it is and to set an alarm for shore excursion mornings. We do not bring water or soda, as there are plenty of drinks on the ship.

Planning is fun...just relax and let it happen.

For $10, when they run specials, you can pack a paper bag full of clothes and your room steward will take it. They wash them and return to your cabin. I am REALLY GREAT about rolling, folding, and generally packing that bag completely full. Yes, I could do the laundry myself on the ship - but I don't want to. I get shorts, shirts, socks, capris, etc. washed. And we always pack few T-shirts, because in port you can buy them 3 for $10. We always buy T-shirts from places - i.e. Senor Frogs, Margaritaville (these obviously are more than $10 but DS has to have them - so they are available to wear. I don't dress to impress others on the boat because no one cares. It's all about having fun. We've learned to pack light. But I'd never go without a clock and bungee cord (I love my balcony room door open at times

Archived