Shocked at Price Drop.. can anything be done?

Ok this is how the story of my first cruse booking has gone so far.

Mid-March: Booked oceanview deck 5 on the Dawn thru NCL website for $1369 pp, got the promotional $50 OBC.

2 weeks ago: Saw that Balcony GTY price dropped to $1399 pp on NCL website. I called NCL and paid $60 more to get the Balcony GTY. Lost my $50 OBC. I was assigned BA on deck 10.

Today: Saw that Balcony GTY price now dropped to $1149 pp on NCL website!

I need advice.. has anyone ever gotten any credit back from NCL in a situation like this? I intend to call them but want to hear about others' experiences first. I guess I learned my lesson.. I could have saved hundreds by waiting to book.. still kind of shocked that its dropped so much! Is this typical?

Hi Patty, yes, this is very typical. NCL and other cruise lines drop prices drastically if they need bodies to fill the cabins.

They even sometimes RAISE the fare, so aren't you glad you don't have to pay that difference? lol

You may get another upgrade, but you won't receive any discount. The cabins available may not be very desirable. So be glad you go what you wanted.

Waiting until last minute to book is chancy because you never know if a cruise is going to sell out or not.

Sorry for the shock. Many here will tell you to not even check the fares when you're within the 75 day, final payment period.

I say to watch them and see if you can get an upgrade.

Hope that helps a little. :)

This is not unusual as a cruise approaches. In fact, we often say the only benefit to booking early is if you care what cabin you get because the most desired sell out early, or, of course, if there is a great sale or OBC promotion. The best you can hope for is they upgrade you again to something that is now going for the price you paid. But at the price you paid, there is no where to go.

You couldn't ask for a better GTY placement. BA is as good as it gets. We were in 10100 and loved the location. The only upgrade would be to a mini-suite or suite if they are selling for the $1399 that you are currently booked. All and all, for $170 your current cabin is much better than your OV on deck 5. Enjoy your cruise.

Mid-March: Booked oceanview deck 5 on the Dawn thru NCL website for $1369 pp, got the promotional $50 OBC.

2 weeks ago: Saw that Balcony GTY price dropped to $1399 pp on NCL website. I called NCL and paid $60 more to get the Balcony GTY. Lost my $50 OBC. I was assigned BA on deck 10.

I need advice.. has anyone ever gotten any credit back from NCL in a situation like this? I intend to call them but want to hear about others' experiences first. I guess I learned my lesson.. I could have saved hundreds by waiting to book.. still kind of shocked that its dropped so much! Is this typical?

A similar thing happened to me for my cruise last week on the Gem. When is your cruise? Have you made your final payment yet?

Our price dropped between when we booked and when we made our final payment, so they adjusted the price for us.

2.5 weeks before the cruise, the balcony gty went down in price to just $200 above what we paid for our oceanview, so we decided to upgrade.

3 days later, the price went down $100! I spoke with my travel agent and she was able to get $50 of that back to us in an OBC.

I would definitely call and see if they can do anything for you!

A similar thing happened to me for my cruise last week on the Gem. When is your cruise? Have you made your final payment yet?

Our price dropped between when we booked and when we made our final payment, so they adjusted the price for us.

2.5 weeks before the cruise, the balcony gty went down in price to just $200 above what we paid for our oceanview, so we decided to upgrade.

3 days later, the price went down $100! I spoke with my travel agent and she was able to get $50 of that back to us in an OBC.

I would definitely call and see if they can do anything for you!

If a price drop happens, and there aren't any stipulations, adjustments can be made to your fare before final payment, like you say, but the OP is within the final payment period now.

If a price drop happens, and there aren't any stipulations, adjustments can be made to your fare before final payment, like you say, but the OP is within the final payment period now.

I would still call and see if you can get some sort of an OBC. We were able to get half the difference of the price drop 2 weeks before our cruise ($50). It is definitely worth a try!

Have a great cruise! :)

I called our PCC and they will not do anything. They will not give me any OBC or refund my $60 from 2 weeks ago. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Honestly I am happy with my BA placement, I know I got lucky with the Balcony GTY. I think I will take someone's advice and stop checking prices on the NCL website!

I called our PCC and they will not do anything. They will not give me any OBC or refund my $60 from 2 weeks ago. Oh well, it was worth a shot.

Honestly I am happy with my BA placement, I know I got lucky with the Balcony GTY. I think I will take someone's advice and stop checking prices on the NCL website!

You paid a great price for a BA so I think you are taking the right attitude. You'll have a great time. Patty, where is your cabin - we'll probably be running into each other in the hallways. :)

You paid a great price for a BA so I think you are taking the right attitude. You'll have a great time. Patty, where is your cabin - we'll probably be running into each other in the hallways. :)

We are in 10576. thanks! Getting so excited!

So nice to hear that the OP was hoping to get something, but is happy with what they got. After all, they get exactly what the bargained for.

As to those that say you should wait - think twice. Ships do sell out and sometimes you can not get a cabin at ANY price.

I had already completely paid for our cruise when the price dropped by what I thought was $200 p/p. I called, they refunded me the difference (showed up on my cc within a week). Ended up being a savings of over $500 p/p - we didn't change cabins though, so I don't know what they will do with that. Oh, we booked directly through NCL - no TA

I had already completely paid for our cruise when the price dropped by what I thought was $200 p/p. I called, they refunded me the difference (showed up on my cc within a week). Ended up being a savings of over $500 p/p - we didn't change cabins though, so I don't know what they will do with that. Oh, we booked directly through NCL - no TA

The important question is not whether you were fully paid, but was it past the final required payment date?

Al

Ah, you had paid it but when was the final payment actually DUE, after final payment DATE they won't reduce the fare, they may upgrade you but that is it.

Sometimes people pay in full before that date, that would not affect your ability to get a reduction.

If it is before final payment date you can get an adjustment, after, the best you can hope for is an upgrade.

As for learning a lesson, that isn't true many times. There are times when rates will go way down, other times they go up or they sell out period.

Nita

good idea, as a travel agent, let me tell you; please don't keep checking:: all you do is make it hard on yourself, especially if it is after final payment date. You were satisfied with your rate so you got a deal. Now, go and enjoy your balcony.

Nita

OP, I, too am a balcony first-timer this June and CAN"T WAIT... finally to see how the other half lives LOL! Next stop Garden Villa LOL!

I agree that looking at the fares while they are dropping is like looking into the candy store window AFTER you've already spent your allowance but if you can parlez a price drop into an OBC or upgrade, why not try? We are not, after all sheep with wallets (please pardon me I am a bit jaded).

I know that the OP booked directly through NCL but I have a word of heartfelt advice for anybody booking through a travel agent: Request (and it MUST be provided) your "NCL GUEST INVOICE" that details the dollars of your fare reservation confirmation as far as NCL is concerned. I suggest asking for it a few weeks before sailing (not too far in advance).

My group ran into a huge issue and that one sentence "Please give my my NCL Guest Invoice" would have solved in a heartbeat... and saved lots of time and adrenaline.

Information is power.

Clare

Sorry things did work out as well as you may have wished Patty. I am sure you will love your first cruise. Sounds like you already have the right attitude and won't let anything spoil your vacation.

I do want to thank you for alerting me to the price drop--I did call my TA, and was upgraded from an II to a BA!!!!:D

I guess all TA's are not created equal...

Now I get to watch the wake!!!

Sorry things did work out as well as you may have wished Patty. I am sure you will love your first cruise. Sounds like you already have the right attitude and won't let anything spoil your vacation.

I do want to thank you for alerting me to the price drop--I did call my TA, and was upgraded from an II to a BA!!!!:D

I guess all TA's are not created equal...

Now I get to watch the wake!!!

You're in an aft BA?!?!?! Where - are we neighbors?

Yeah!!! But I think you are one floor up from me--I'm in 9738.

I'm excited about the aft balcony--so many people really love these cabins.:D

That is so cool that they gave you an aft!!!! Now I have to think about what I'll be tossing down onto your balcony. :rolleyes:

That is so cool that they gave you an aft!!!! Now I have to think about what I'll be tossing down onto your balcony. :rolleyes:

LOL!!!

Just as long as you don't toss your cookies! :p

LOL!!!

Just as long as you don't toss your cookies! :p

ROLF--copter---

My DD was just saying how people could look down onto our balcony, and I replied, as long as they aren't throwing stuff--let 'em look!!!!

But I think 'muder can handle her martini's!;)

Archived