Cruise Newbie Questions

ezmofokine

So I'm going on my first cruise (RCI Liberty of the Seas Western Caribbean) on May 30th and have a few questions for cruise veterans.

First, We have opted to skip the formal dinner nights as we're not much for dressing up. So my question is what is acceptable to wear to dinner on the other nights in the main dining room? I was thinking along the lines of Khakis and a Polo shirt, Is that too casual? And what about for women? And what should we wear for eating in the main dining room for breakfast and lunch? are there any dress codes for those meals?

Second, what sort of cost is involved with ordering room service? I like the idea of ordering room service for breakfast and eating it on the balcony but I would like to budget for that.

Third, I have read on here that it is a good idea to bring bottled water on board, and being that I plan on drinking alcohol most of the time, I would like to drink water the rest of the time but don't want to pay ridiculous amounts for bottled water. The problem is, we are flying to Miami from Chicago on the day of departure and therefore would have to bring the water with us on the plane as well. Has anyone done this before? or does anyone have a suggestion on the best way to do this?

Fourth, What kind of programming do they offer on TV on the ship. I ask because I am wanting to watch a couple of NHL Playoff games that will be going on while we are on the ship. Does anyone know if they would possible get these broadcasts on the ship. I believe the games will both be on the Versus TV network.

I'm sure I'll think of 50 more questions after posting this. I have called RCI about a million times but I figured I could get better answers from actual cruisers.

Thanks in advance

I can't answer all your questions, but I'll answer the ones I can.

First - Never sailed on RCI

Second - There's no extra charge for room service. However, we always tip the server who delivers it.

Third - Don't try to fly with it. Stop at a convenience store on your way to the pier and stock up on bottled water.

Fourth - That one might be worth calling the cruise line to ask. If it isn't available in your cabin, then try the sports bar if your ship has one.

Happy sailing

Donia

Breakfast and lunch attire is shorts, tees, etc.... No bathing suits in the dining room. You can wear a cover-up over your suit in the Windjammer buffet. For dinner in the dining room, dockers, khakis, etc...are fine for casual evenings. Women will wear capris, skirts, sundresses, slacks, etc...

No charge for room service, except after midnight---then it's $3.95--includes the tip. Most folks will tip $1-5 for other meals, depending on how much the server must carry. Eating a full meal in the room is difficult without a dining table---you'll be eating at knee-height off the coffee table or tiny patio table!

You don't need to bring water---the ship's water is perfectly fine and pure.

There's not alot on tv---and I doubt if NHL will be shown...for some reason, they show alot of soccer--ick. TiVo anything you don't want to miss!

Dining: On nights other than the formal night, Khakis and a Polo shirts are fine for men, and a sun dress or pant suit for the ladies. On formal nights you do not have to be dressed out to the 10's. You can wear a suit/tie or a sports jacket/tie and the ladies a cocktail dress or even a nice church dress.

There is no charge for room service, but don't forget to tip the person delivering your food/drink/snack items.

As for water, you can always pick up some in port and bring back to the ship. I have never brought a large amount of water on a plane, so you might want to check with the airlines first before doing so. Just remember, if they burst while in the air, you'll have wet clothes when you get on the ship.

As for the sports, we have watched NFL games in some of the lounges and bars on the ship. Ask when you board, they can better tell you.

Hope this has answered your questions. Have a great cruise!

I doubt there will be any hockey. Typically, tv on the ship has a few channels and a movie channel. I had to beg the ship to put on the NCAA Basketball final. (Princess)

As to the other questions, those answers seem correct, no charge, but tip, khakis and collared shirt are fine, buy water before you board if you think it is necessary.

Most people dont realize that all the water on a ship is run through a reverse osmosis uint which the most complete purification process you can do bottled water on the other hand is the least regulated industry there is drink the ship water it's safer and its FREE

Archived