Diabetic diet on Musica & Opera

Misty1937

I am a diabetic and of two minds after reading all the negative reports regarding meals whether to advise them of my special diet or would there be enough choice on the menu. I do not require insulin injections as I am type 2 but naturally still need to be careful what I eat. I would appreciate any comments/advise from other diabetics who have cruised, particularly on Musica or Opera. As I have recently been diagnosed I have never had this problem when travelling before. The thought of being served with semi cold fish etc does not turn me on at all.

Thanks for any help, Misty

Not sure I can help too much but my husband is diabetic. He also has high cholestrol so has to avoid food with cheese sauces etc for example. He usually manages okay, sometimes asking for food without the sauce which is always provided for him. There is always a salad, soup & main course with vegetables, even if the appetizers don't always fit the bill. He sometimes has to avoid the pasta/risotto options but I think this is more to do with the cholestrol. There is also an always available section with spaghetti bolognese, salmon, chicken & 'steak'. Steak in inverted commas as I think it is more a thin piece of beef rather than a piece of steak as we would know it, although I'm not altogether sure as we haven't tried this option. In addition there is always a sugar free desert. I think in the dining room this often tends to be ice cream, although they have a sugar free section including cakes etc in the buffet.

Thank you Sparky that is a big help. I also have high cholestrol and my Dr has taken me off all carbs (bread, rice, pasta etc) for the diabetes so you can see why I was a bit worried going on an Italian ship. Much as I love pasta I have to be good so it is great there is plenty to choose from. As long as there is plenty of vegs & fruit I can survive.

they have 6 courses at lunch and dinner with pasta/rice being the one directly before the main course, so missing this is not going to leave you hungry as i ofetn have to miss it anyway. They usually have a good range of hot and chilled soups which also include fruit ones which I think are lovely. they have reasonably extensive salad bars in the buffet area and you'll get a fruit bowl in your cabin. you can always get fruit for dessert at lunch 9not so sure about dinner)

Thank you AmoMondo, I certainly won't be putting a special diet request. There is no way I could eat 6 courses and as long as I have fruit & veg I am happy. It is often the sauces and gravies that are the problem but I should be fine.

Cheers, Misty

Archived