Carnival Fan boy a little sad.....

maxamuus

You mean the Chicken Sattay Skewers with Thai Peanut Noodles?

Yes, very good. I wouldn't recommend skipping them. They are well balanced and jus enough heat without killing the palate for the rest of the meal.

I love the Chicken Satay and the Chicken tenders. I always order two of them!!!!

just make sure you don't wear shorts on casual nights and make sure you have your tux or suit and tie on Elegant night for this fine dining. :eek:

Bill

Shorts are good in MDR, jeans are cool on Elegant nite ! Goes with the mac and cheese menu, making MDR akin to a Dennys diner. Carnival lowered the standards along with cheaper fares. Now we can cruise more, take less luggage, airlines lose on that. It's all good!:D

They started serving fried cheese as an appetizer - OMG the nerve :eek: and it was oh so good.

A local BBQ place has fried mac and cheese! The best of both worlds! Maybe Carnival will pick that up. :rolleyes:

A local BBQ place has fried mac and cheese! The best of both worlds! Maybe Carnival will pick that up. :rolleyes:

Ah, gotta love fried (insert anything here).....I think you could deep fry my sneaker and that would be good too, that may explain why Lipitor is so prevalant!

The thing that cracked me up about the mac and cheese was it came in a LITTLE bowl the size of a shot glass. And no im not kidding it was TINY.

In fact a table mate joked you would have to order three of them to actually get a taste from it because it was so small.

I hate mac n cheese. My Mother made it and it was beyond bad and to this I just can't.

On the Destiny last Oct I gave mine (two nights) to my buddy Allen who was cruising with us....The portion was beyond small. It was funnier than chit....Can we say thimble ??????

I got a baked tater on the side.......;)

Ah, gotta love fried (insert anything here).....I think you could deep fry my sneaker and that would be good too, that may explain why Lipitor is so prevalant!

I think I saw that very dish on Andrew Zimmern's Bizarre Foods in China! They had a side of fried bug larvae. :p

Ms B

Now the rolls were a little on the hard side. This disappointed me as I love bread.

The rolls disappointed me, too. I stopped taking them during our second cruise because of the hardness :(.

Hubby commented last night that he wished Carnival would servefreshly baked sweet yeast rolls with cinnamon honey butter like Texas Roadhouse serves...I wish they'd listen to him :D.

Back to the topic of macaroni and cheese, hubby and I know of the trend of this dish, we watch the food programs also, but I can make gourmet macaroni and cheese at home, I'd rather have something that isn't so easy to make (therefore not made by my cooking-challenged self :o).

I say whatever floats your boat! If you consider McDonald's haute cuisine in your neck of the woods, more power to you! I certainly don't and that is my option.

There is a term in business, "Cut till it bleeds". As long as customers "settle" for this kind of thing it's going to continue.

If I see Mayor McCheese as the Maitre D I'm going back to NCL.

Uh, what wine should be ordered with McNuggets?

I say whatever floats your boat! If you consider McDonald's haute cuisine in your neck of the woods, more power to you! I certainly don't and that is my option.

There is a term in business, "Cut till it bleeds". As long as customers "settle" for this kind of thing it's going to continue.

Mac and cheese is a side dish for a couple entrees - it is not a main course. The chicken tenders are one appetizer one night (except on the kids' menu). People are making way too big a deal of this. There are still plenty of "sophisticated" options.

Wow, that's pretty ignorant. I don't anyone here would consider McDonald's to be haute cuisine, but I would consider the Waverly Inn and a lot of other New American eateries that are doing comfort food classics with a twist to be pretty high up there. There's a reason why there's a year wait to get a table at Waverly ... and it's not because the food is McDonald's quality. I mean, Craft Steak offers mac-and-cheese and burgers and still manages a couple of Michelin stars. So does Bobby Flay's Bolo.

There's another term, it's called "chasing the trend". I've eaten on NCL. I was underwhelmed by the food. Ambition is a good thing, provided you have the ability to carry it.

Mad Dog 20/20 of course.:D

Mac and cheese is a side dish for a couple entrees - it is not a main course. The chicken tenders are one appetizer one night (except on the kids' menu). People are making way too big a deal of this. There are still plenty of "sophisticated" options.

You're absolutely right. There's also a lot of different definitions of "sophisticated". A poorly executed classical dish is still poorly executed. A well executed New American dish is still well executed. It's not a dumbing down of the food, it's following the current trend in the culinary world. All of the celebrity chefs and cooks on Food Network (and a couple on PBS) are doing this exact same thing. There are restaurants in every major city that are making their name with things like fancy mac-and-cheese and truffle burgers and spicy caesar salads.

You're absolutely right. There's also a lot of different definitions of "sophisticated". A poorly executed classical dish is still poorly executed. A well executed New American dish is still well executed. It's not a dumbing down of the food, it's following the current trend in the culinary world. All of the celebrity chefs and cooks on Food Network (and a couple on PBS) are doing this exact same thing. There are restaurants in every major city that are making their name with things like fancy mac-and-cheese and truffle burgers and spicy caesar salads.

Agreed....

I didnt see mac and Cheese on the menu but I believe there was Fetticini Alfredo ... ;)

There was also Escargot, Braised Rack of Lamb, portobello mushrooms with hand picked mesculin salad, panco (sp?) crusted jumbo shrimp...

The selection was fine.. the quality was off...

I didn't see any Mac and Cheese or chicken tenders on the menu when I sailed the COnquest last month. I wish I would have...I would have ordered it for my one year old!

The chicken was an appetizer, and the mac and cheese was a TINY side on some of the entrees one night. And just so you know, you can order chicken tenders and mac and cheese EVERY night for your children (or yourself, for that matter) if you so choose.

and the mac and cheese was a TINY side on some of the entrees one night.

I will say if ANYONE tried to serve me something like that, I would immediately request they go back and FETCH me the rest. One thing I will not be is be insulted when I'm paying for a meal.

I will say if ANYONE tried to serve me something like that, I would immediately request they go back and FETCH me the rest. One thing I will not be is be insulted when I'm paying for a meal.

It's not as tiny as a lot of people are saying. It's a small ramekin. Certainly not a shot glass. Smaller than a Creme Caramel from room service, bigger than a shot glass.

It's not as tiny as a lot of people are saying. It's a small ramekin. Certainly not a shot glass. Smaller than a Creme Caramel from room service, bigger than a shot glass.

I was confused for a moment.. I thought you were talking about the products in that village store..:D:p

The thing that cracked me up about the mac and cheese was it came in a LITTLE bowl the size of a shot glass. And no im not kidding it was TINY.

In fact a table mate joked you would have to order three of them to actually get a taste from it because it was so small.

I tried it on the Miracle in March and didn't like it! And yes.........it was served in a very tiny bowl. Not even sure you can call it a bowl! LOL

Overall, I thought the food was excellent in the dining room and at the buffett.

Karen

Is the mac and cheese any cheaper than any of the other starches they serve as side dishes? Potatoes? Rice? They're pretty cheap... I don't see this as a cost-cutting issue - rather than one of appealing to their clientele...

When I was on the Valor in April, I had the chicken tender appatiser and the mac and cheese with the dinner it accompanied. The Thai chicken skewers were great, and the mac and cheese was a joke it was so small. I have done 4 carnival cruises, and overall though the quality had gone down on the menu. My biggest complaint was the over or underdoneness of the steaks though. It took 3 days before I finally got one that was cooked medium....(and I did send one back the first night that was well done, only to get a rare steak as the replacement!) After 3 days of trying, I did get a steak cooked medium. I just remember thinking how I've never had any complaints in the dining room before, and was a little underwhelmed with the menu overall. It didn't have that flair I am used to from Carnival, and I am still trying to put my finger on why...

Archived